The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Which college does most charity stuff at Durham?

Hi!
Anyone who is currently at Durham, do you know which college is most involved in the DUCK charity stuff? I am applying next year and I'm really into charity work etc so i wanted to go to a college that was enthusiatic about that side of things! Any idea which college wins the shield most often (I think I'm right that there's a shield for raising money.... that could be a rumour..)
Thank you! :smile:
The Stockton colleges offer housing and education to the underprivileged in our society so if I were you, I'd definitely look into that.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Trevs and Mildert I think. But wherever you go you can use your enthusiasm and ideas to help and make bigger/better DUCK events. Plus there's loads of DUCK stuff outside of college to get involved in, check the website http://duck.dsu.org.uk/ :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Hild Bede does loads - tbh I think all colleges do.

Obviously amount raised is proportional to college size (more students in bigger colleges obviously!) - whichever one you go to, you'll be able to get fully involved in DUCK, and not all DUCK things are college-based anyway, as DUCK's a uni-wide thing :smile:
*buried-in-books*
Hi!
Anyone who is currently at Durham, do you know which college is most involved in the DUCK charity stuff? I am applying next year and I'm really into charity work etc so i wanted to go to a college that was enthusiatic about that side of things! Any idea which college wins the shield most often (I think I'm right that there's a shield for raising money.... that could be a rumour..)
Thank you! :smile:

Trevs is one of the smallest colleges, but I think a couple of times it's raised the highest amount per person. I don't know much about what other colleges do, but we have some pretty awesome events.
Several bar quizzes in a year with proceeds to DUCK, 'Hold the Bar' (I had a front row seat, and it was disgusting), and my favourites were the DUCK Hits during mealtimes for a couple of weeks - pay a few quid to have slightly unpleasant things happen to your friends and enemies. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Mildert has a massive DUCK culture (coming from an old Collingwood DUCK rep), although most colleges have a lot going on. Collingwood is keen on both DUCK and SCA (Student Community Action- volunteering in the local area) :biggrin: (got to plug the old college, you know how it is). Avoid Castle, they've been quite quiet on DUCK.
at the moment I am thinking of applying to trevs, johns or chads. It sounds like Trevs are pretty good, but are the other tqo ok as far as you know? I just want to avoid them if they are known for not organizing charity stuff (like the castle tip - thank you for that!)
:smile: x
theres also the student community action. which isnt exactly charity but its volunteering which is very enjoyable.

Latest