The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh, I would love for a second Falkland war. We could do with a quick moral boost. :smile:
Reply 21
That dumb broad needs a ******* slap.
Reply 22
Persephone.
Out of sheer curiosity, why is an island closer to Argentina seen as British territory? Can't say I care much for the dispute but this was always a niggling thought.

Obviously it's all a result of colonialism. The British have just as much right to the Falklands as the Argentines do to Argentina.
Who cares what the Argnitinians think. Argentina is a horrible little country that is of no importance, the whole country is in tatters, and we annihalated them in 1982.
Teaddict
Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner used Twitter, the micro-blogging website, to sharply criticise plans by the Ministry of Defence to carry out military tests in the region. In a series of frank postings on her official Twitter account, she announced that Argentina had complained to the United Nations about Britain's "militarisation of the South Atlantic".

Lol, Twitter. Such a mature way to convey your serious message.

I heard that Kirchner's comments are a retaliation after Liam Fox started a Facebook group about how she looks like a tranny.
(edited 13 years ago)
ak56
Obviously it's all a result of colonialism. The British have just as much right to the Falklands as the Argentines do to Argentina.

Hm. So it is fair for them to say it's theirs in the spirit of colonialism, I guess? Personally I don't believe in definite borders. We've raided each other backyards since time immemorial; why stop now?

I wish we had empires again. None of this limp-wristed NATO business but that may just be me. Thanks for explaining anyway. :erm:
Reply 26
Student2806
Because it distracts the Argentinian public from the real problems facing the country. It's also a sure fire vote winner.
It's pathetic.

This, although I dont know why you see it as pathetic? Loads of political leaders, past and present, comment on something they may or may not agree with, just to stay in favour with the public or even their own party?
The Argentinians can moan all they like, they're not having the islands.
Teaddict

Perhaps we should send a small military fleet into the Falklands, bordering Argentinian waters for lols? Maybe a trident missile ship :rolleyes:

This. Gunboat diplomacy ftw.
Teaddict
Maybe a trident missile ship :rolleyes:

When did we get destroyers carrying nukes?
.... because la Guerra Sucia never did impact upon Argentina's reputation for upholding a proper, legitimate, democratic and free government. Pathetic.
paddyman4

I heard that Kirchner's comments are a retaliation after Liam Fox started a Facebook group about how she looks like a tranny.

:rofl2:

seriously?!
Student2806
To some degree, the public's made to think that the Falklands are Argentina's by government propaganda. It's almost part of the social culture that every once in a while the government kicks up a fuss in the vain hope that they'll wear Britain down and we'll go "Oh go on, here you go..."

While I agree with your sentiments - the islands are British and as long as the people living there want to remain British, there is no question of Argentina being allowed to have them - it's hardly as clear cut as you make it out to be.

Britain did basically abandon the islands (just leaving a plaque saying they belong to us) and then returned to them after Argentina subsequently colonised them. So they may be British - but only because the islands were basically reserved for our future use, hardly a rock solid foundation.
The Argentine government don't have any plans to "reclaim" the Falklands. Any irredentist claims they have to the islands don't even work because the population of them is of British descent, not Argentine/Spanish.
How long do you have to live in a place before you stop being considered a colonist?

Jesus Christ.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
I always thought British policy was inline with the UN, if the Falklands residents vote to become independent / an Argentine colony then the British government would allow it. But the residents have voted to stay British..
Reply 36
My God, she's hot.

We should give her the Falklands in exchange for saucy pics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
tbh, (and i know all you imperialist 'Britain should rule the world, were awesome' people will jump down my throat) protecting the Falklands is a joke. It's part of the UK that pays no taxes, your not allowed to move to, is in the middle of no where, and expects to be defended by taxpayers in mainland UK.

Also, were not really in a position for another war, we already unnecessary killed enough people (in what I would call war crimes) in the last war, most noticeably the sinking of Belgrano.

We should give it away, its an inhospitable wasteland, and the UK is deluded, thinking its an even remotely significant country any more. That is all.
Reply 38
The title was a bit of a lol.

The president is presumably angry because she didn't get to see Diego Maradona naked. Either that, or they were directing attention away from the Japanese crumble. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
hello dave
tbh, (and i know all you imperialist 'Britain should rule the world, were awesome' people will jump down my throat) protecting the Falklands is a joke. It's part of the UK that pays no taxes, your not allowed to move to, is in the middle of no where, and expects to be defended by taxpayers in mainland UK.

Also, were not really in a position for another war, we already unnecessary killed enough people (in what I would call war crimes) in the last war, most noticeably the sinking of Belgrano.

We should give it away, its an inhospitable wasteland, and the UK is deluded, thinking its an even remotely significant country any more. That is all.

One word. Oil.

Latest