The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Can you play Xbox Live at Imperial?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to come to Imperial next year to study Chemistry. Unfortuately, as the title may say, I'm rather a habitual 360 player as well.

I know about the fact that there are only ethernet ports in the rooms, but what is actually bothering me is the bandwidth restrictions (5GB a day if i remember). I know Xbox live can eat a lot of bandwidth, and Halo: Reach is currently a big thing for me (might not be next year, who knows? :p: ) Is this going to be a problem?

Any 360 users who can play / can't play online at Imperial have the answer?

Serious answers please guys, cheers in advance for any relevant comments.

Tom
Reply 1
Man up and get a ps3
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
nerdman09
Man up and get a ps3

Should have expected that one!
Reply 3
ps3's are for half wits and/or gamers who are clueless
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Guys, please no cross console flaming. I know it's fun, but it's not really the point here.
Reply 5
a big fridge
Should have expected that one!

:biggrin:
Reply 6
a big fridge
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to come to Imperial next year to study Chemistry. Unfortuately, as the title may say, I'm rather a habitual 360 player as well.

I know about the fact that there are only ethernet ports in the rooms, but what is actually bothering me is the bandwidth restrictions (5GB a day if i remember). I know Xbox live can eat a lot of bandwidth, and Halo: Reach is currently a big thing for me (might not be next year, who knows? :p: ) Is this going to be a problem?

Any 360 users who can play / can't play online at Imperial have the answer?

Serious answers please guys, cheers in advance for any relevant comments.

Tom

You only have one ethernet socket per room, and you should only have one device in use at that socket (i.e. you can't bring your own router with you, and connect everything). The networks around college are officially only to be used for work, and so a gaming console is frowned upon, as there's no way you can use it productively.

That being said, you'd not have to worry about bandwidth usage, and if they did ban the Xbox MAC address, you should be able to connect to the network via a bridged network connection i.e. connect to XBL via a laptop/desktop.

I'd just say 'try it and see', and in the worst case, you'll just have to play split-screen, and invite friends over.

Halo: Reach Legendary solo is soooooo good, and go away PS3 fanboys.
Reply 7
/drool xbox
Cyco
You only have one ethernet socket per room, and you should only have one device in use at that socket (i.e. you can't bring your own router with you, and connect everything). The networks around college are officially only to be used for work, and so a gaming console is frowned upon, as there's no way you can use it productively.

That being said, you'd not have to worry about bandwidth usage, and if they did ban the Xbox MAC address, you should be able to connect to the network via a bridged network connection i.e. connect to XBL via a laptop/desktop.

I'd just say 'try it and see', and in the worst case, you'll just have to play split-screen, and invite friends over.

Do you know how said bridged connection can be achieved?
Salty.
You are going to IMPERIAL.
to study CHEMISTRY.
yet you are worried about video games?
:s-smilie:
MissUNIverse
Salty.
You are going to IMPERIAL.
to study CHEMISTRY.
yet you are worried about video games?
:s-smilie:

i'm not at imperial doing chemistry, i was just asking
Reply 11
Cyco

Cheers for that, will try next year (hopefully!). I'll also convince them that it's really productive!! (joking)

Also: Chemist, likes games and percussionist as well. Sounds scarily like me! Although you're probably better at all 3 than me. :biggrin:
Reply 12
You can at lancaster :ninja:
Reply 13
SaltyPiratePony
Do you know how said bridged connection can be achieved?

You just need to connect a standard straight cat 5e cable (i.e. one you would use to connect your computer to a router) between your laptop/desktop and your XBox,360 and go into your computer's network setting panel. You then select both the wired connection (to the xbox) and the wired/wireless connection (to the Imperial network), right click, and select 'bridge this connection'.

If you want a step-by-step guide, then Google is your friend.
Cyco
You just need to connect a standard straight cat 5e cable (i.e. one you would use to connect your computer to a router) between your laptop/desktop and your XBox,360 and go into your computer's network setting panel. You then select both the wired connection (to the xbox) and the wired/wireless connection (to the Imperial network), right click, and select 'bridge this connection'.

If you want a step-by-step guide, then Google is your friend.

so that means realistically you need two cat 5e cables coming into the laptop? if this is the case then im bummed, only got one ethernet slot
Reply 15
SaltyPiratePony
so that means realistically you need two cat 5e cables coming into the laptop? if this is the case then im bummed, only got one ethernet slot

I was thinking about that, a few minutes ago. If you get/have a wireless adapter for the Xbox360, you can create a wireless ad-hoc network with your laptop, and have the Xbox360 connect to it and bridge to that. That's going a bit too far though... You can just come to gaming club instead...
Cyco
I was thinking about that, a few minutes ago. If you get/have a wireless adapter for the Xbox360, you can create a wireless ad-hoc network with your laptop, and have the Xbox360 connect to it and bridge to that. That's going a bit too far though... You can just come to gaming club instead...

i really wanna come, but i have an iet talk from like 1 -4 :frown: what time you guys finishing up?
Reply 17
sasjegbruv123
i really wanna come, but i have an iet talk from like 1 -4 :frown: what time you guys finishing up?

We run from 2-6, although I won't be there for the end of it, as I'm going to meet my counterpart at UCL to arrange some tournamenty stuff, etc.
You can use them, during my first week we had a talk from IT and they said go to them and they'll help set up your console. They helped get my PS3 set up.

Latest

Trending

Trending