The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
englishstudent
How do you know what the lecture will be on?

The second lecture was good, not sure about TOTALLY important though so I wouldn't worry. It was about linguistic colonisation and why some languages survive when others don't. Also it talked about the difficulties facing writers whose countries have been 'colonised' by English. They want to be understood (so write in English) but the love of their country/tradition makes them want to write in their native language. There was a handout, so you could ask someone for a photocopy. It had some statistics and some poem extracts dealing with the issue of linguistic 'oppression'.

its on the website:

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/engl/ug/lecture_lists/welcome.htm

i missed the one on beowulf in the end...silly me got the time wrong....again. i went to the eng lit library tour at 2.45 and got confused coz it clashed with the lecture, which was stupid.

Great, thanks!

sophieD

i went to the eng lit library tour at 2.45 and got confused coz it clashed with the lecture, which was stupid.

You're clearly not reading your emails. :p:
Reply 22
englishstudent
Great, thanks!

You're clearly not reading your emails. :p:

to be fair, they sent the email out well to late, i mean i checked at 11am that morning and they supposedly sent one out at about 11.30, i mean, what am i supposed to do, stare at my computer screen all day, waiting for them to email about their mistakes? lol, i just thought they were so badly organised.
Reply 23
It's hard work, but then again you are at university, so it's to be expected. However, at the same time it's a wonderful subject to study and that makes up for the intellectual intensity of the course.

Latest

Trending

Trending