The Student Room Group

Science In The News!! Help

Hello everyone,
first of all thanks for having alook.
I have a science in the news gcse next week which is worth 20% of my science gcse. That was a bit of background to my question..

We need to do for and against and use statistics and also reliability.. I am getting on which is great however..( this is where I NEED your help:yep: )
The question of the assesment is "SHOULD OLD PEOPLE BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE"?
I cant see any statistics about car crashes involving elderly... I have looked for ages and cant seem to find anything....
IF you can help please do because this is a big deal to me... opinions are always welcome on the question... Person with best answer gets +rep just a way of saying thanks.....

Thanks to anyone who cares..
Reply 1
Ah, I remember Science in the News, but at least I didn't have to do this one. It sounds like a killer.
I'm guessing that you are including information such as older people's body (brittle bones and immune systems, for example) and how this can be effected by crashes. And so on that, there are probably more statistics on deaths from crashes, and you'll probably find that older people have a higher risk of dying from car crashes. So banning driving is for their own safety.
I really don't know how you're answering it.
Anyway, here are a few links for stats. :smile:
http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/content/NavigationController.do?areaID=12&tierID=1&navID=E6348A0E&navLink=null&pageID=148
http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/1045_age_of_driver_and_number_in.html
They aren't for the UK though, but I'm sure thats not a problem.

Hope this helps! Sorry if it didnt! :frown:

Edit:
vannessa
This would probably make you more aware someone has replied! :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
brendan.
Ah, I remember Science in the News, but at least I didn't have to do this one. It sounds like a killer.

Edit:

THanks so much for answering...trust me it's horrible:frown: its really hard finding information... especially statistics.. thanks for the website but It has to be uk or i will get a U:frown: .
BASICALly I am not allowed to be biased and not allowed to discriminate the elderly and oh godd its a long list..
thanks for the comment and time though means alot..