The Student Room Group

Hating Where I Have Ended Up for University

I applied to the University of Manchester and Birmingham for 2010 entry last academic year and unfortunately didn't achieve the grades they offered me, mostly because I couldn't be bothered to revise. I don't mind admitting this, my effort level was poor.

Afraid I wouldn't get a place anywhere, I frantically went through clearing and ended up at Plymouth, the first place that took me.

It's not where I wanted to be and I'm seriously not enjoying it. I'm thinking about dropping out but don't want to without solid plans.

Would I be able to resit a few modules for my A Levels and hopefully improve my grades?

Am I going to be in any debt already?

Will Universities discriminate against me for retaking?

Cheers guys.
Reply 1
bump
Original post by AllUnits
Would I be able to resit a few modules for my A Levels and hopefully improve my grades?

Yes, you will, although best get in quick because I think the deadline for entering for exams will be coming up...

Depends on what you arrange with SFE (or equivalent), and what money you have to pay back. You might be down a bit on accommodation, but tuition fees won't have been paid yet, and the next loan/grant installments won't come, so debt will be minimal.

Some will, so best check with them before applying, but the majority won't (although they might make your offer higher.)
Original post by AllUnits
I applied to the University of Manchester and Birmingham for 2010 entry last academic year and unfortunately didn't achieve the grades they offered me, mostly because I couldn't be bothered to revise. I don't mind admitting this, my effort level was poor.

Afraid I wouldn't get a place anywhere, I frantically went through clearing and ended up at Plymouth, the first place that took me.

It's not where I wanted to be and I'm seriously not enjoying it. I'm thinking about dropping out but don't want to without solid plans.

Cheers guys.

John?
you could always get a first at plymouth and do a masters somewhere awesome
Reply 5
Original post by infernalcradle
you could always get a first at plymouth and do a masters somewhere awesome

Three years is a long time to spend somewhere you're hating. Also, if the OP is hating his course, he is less likely to do well.
do it properly. get good A level grades. then go to a good university.

Latest