The Student Room Group

Thinking about anthropology at Manchester or Sussex

I apologise if this is the wrong place to put this, I am not a regular user of TSR.

I am looking to do Anthropology 2011. One of my choices looks to be Sussex. I have been to two open days and the campus was lovely, and I've visited Brighton many many times and love it dearly as a town. However --- the first open day at Sussex I came late and missed the main subject talk but talked to one of the guys at one of the tables where you can sit and chat directly to them and ask them all your questions. To be frank, I found the guy quite uninspiring. What he was saying wasn't too much of a turn-off, but... I LOVELOVELOVE the idea of studying anthropology, I'm very enthusiastic at the prospect, and I found this anthropology lecturer or tutor or whatever really dull. And that kinda worried me.
Then I went to a Manchester open day and I DID go to the subject talk. The guy there was veryvery inspiring and I fell in love with anthropology all over again.
So I went to Sussex again and went to the subject talk. It was the same guy as before. And he was duller than ever. Which really disconcerted me. On a campus tour or somesuch I asked an anthropology student if the staff were passionate and inspiring. She said yes.

And on here I searched some things up and saw some people praising anthropology at Sussex and how the staff were very passionate and inspiring and helpful etc.

So basically Manchester and Sussex are my two big choices right now and since the last open day at Sussex (last October) I stopped thinking about Sussex as that great and have been leaning way more heavily to Manchester. Obviously it is down to my preferences but I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to tell me their opinions on anthropology at Sussex, or Manchester, if anyone else got turned off by this guy, if he's totally unrepresentative of the department....? :smile:

Thanks for reading, hope it wasn't too long to read!
Hey...

I'm applying to do Anthropology in 2011 too - My top 2 choices are Manchester and Sussex. Personally I prefered Manchester...I looked round both department and found the Manchester one 10x as inspiring. It's all down to personal choice though I guess. I've had offers from both and although my Sussex one is higher, it includes general studies so it'll be my insurance I reckon. Plus added bonus to Manchester, there's the chance to make it a 4 year course nd spend the 3rd year abroad. Don't know if that floats your boat at all - but most Anthropologists tend to have a desire to travel.x
Reply 2
I'm not sure this message will ever get seen, but out of interest: which one did you choose in the end? And are you happy with your decision? I also am debating over whether to study anthropology and sussex or manchester both from who i have received offers. I havent visited manchester but i went to sussex twice so its very difficult to decide and visiting isnt easy as I live in france. I also loved brighton so much but i think manchester has a better reputation overall. However its massive size sort of puts me off, as well as the impossibility of combining with a language. Any advice? :smile:
Original post by anthropology_app
Hey...

I'm applying to do Anthropology in 2011 too - My top 2 choices are Manchester and Sussex. Personally I prefered Manchester...I looked round both department and found the Manchester one 10x as inspiring. It's all down to personal choice though I guess. I've had offers from both and although my Sussex one is higher, it includes general studies so it'll be my insurance I reckon. Plus added bonus to Manchester, there's the chance to make it a 4 year course nd spend the 3rd year abroad. Don't know if that floats your boat at all - but most Anthropologists tend to have a desire to travel.x

Oops, never saw your msg! I chose Manchester, where did you end up? can't remember if we have corresponded elsewhere on the forum!

Original post by Lavished
I'm not sure this message will ever get seen, but out of interest: which one did you choose in the end? And are you happy with your decision? I also am debating over whether to study anthropology and sussex or manchester both from who i have received offers. I havent visited manchester but i went to sussex twice so its very difficult to decide and visiting isnt easy as I live in france. I also loved brighton so much but i think manchester has a better reputation overall. However its massive size sort of puts me off, as well as the impossibility of combining with a language. Any advice? :smile:

I chose Manchester! I still have not started though, I start this September. I've visited many times though, as I know people who started this year. I really like it as a place, and think that I would probably find Brighton a bit small! I'm a bit of a city girl though. Manchester is pretty big and has tonssss of students. But, I dunno. I don't know what it is about a big place you might not like? But I definitely think it's friendly and you do seem to fit into a little community(/ies) of Manchester, within your halls, your course, your society friends etc. ... in some circles everyone literally seems to know each other, but then there's the added bonus of always having new people to meet and new things to do... in that kind of place I don't think you can really be that lonely/not fitting in for very long if you are really trying to be social. I'm not sure about the language thing, but there is the option of the year abroad, and I really don't know about it at Manchester, but normally unis seem to give at least a short course on the language of the place you're going to so you know something for when you go (totally unsubstantiated info there!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending