The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

apparently pharmacy has alot of maths init personaly i hate maths but if you like it i would recommend it. i have a friedn in pharmacy who hates it cause of the maths and chem
i would prefer it if there was some maths involved.. but i think its different for each university
Reply 22
iceman_jondoe
apparently pharmacy has alot of maths init personaly i hate maths but if you like it i would recommend it. i have a friedn in pharmacy who hates it cause of the maths and chem

He hates pharmacy because of the chemistry? What the hell did he think it would involve?
Actually I hate pharmacy sometimes because of the chemistry. It's hard, very hard. A Level chemistry is a bit of a piss take compared to the chemistry you do in pharmacy.

And I would have though there'd be maths in every pharmacy degree. Pharmaceutical calculations are an important thing.
-Emmz-
Actually I hate pharmacy sometimes because of the chemistry. It's hard, very hard. A Level chemistry is a bit of a piss take compared to the chemistry you do in pharmacy.

And I would have though there'd be maths in every pharmacy degree. Pharmaceutical calculations are an important thing.

She's right, hard organic chemistry is a bastard. Thank god my project isn't chemistry related :eek: :biggrin:
I've found most of the chem ok apart from idiot lecturers who insist on you knowing the exact structure of a whole load of penicillins which just isn't really necessary.
Apart from that, i've liked the chem :-S
BUT maths... i didn't do A level maths, so did a foundation course when i got to uni and was alright at it after that. 3 years on and now needing to know all that horrible stuff again i'm finding myself screwed.
Most of the other maths i've had to do has been tedious calculations which are only hard because they won't let you use a calculator and they use awkward numbers. those ones are more tedious than hard though
What's the course like for other subjects like biology and physics?
Reply 27
hi i wanna do pharmacy too.
is it really that hard............
do u have to learn the drugs names and what they do off by heart
how r the exams like then.
they must be really tough. do u have to do lots of essays and coursework
ok
thanks
Reply 28
Daibhidh
What's the course like for other subjects like biology and physics?

In Manchester, you would have to do physics in the 1st year. There is biology involved in the course as well, 2nd after chemistry of course.
--------------
kubra
hi i wanna do pharmacy too.
is it really that hard............
do u have to learn the drugs names and what they do off by heart
how r the exams like then.
they must be really tough. do u have to do lots of essays and coursework
ok
thanks

Throughout the course, you will be taught about different drugs, so chances are you willlearn quite a few drug names. Also, we have practical sessions in pharmacy practice where we check prescriptions for interactions, do labels, cousel patients... so this helps you learn the drug names as well. You will have to do essays in the exams, though they won't be too long. Like any other course, there willbe c/w as well, including practical write-ups and other c/w based on your topic.
Reply 29
you have to do all the calculations without a calc ! are you serious! i did read that in a book once but i tho that cnt be right whats the point
Reply 30
oh my gosh calculations in the head i cant do that thats hard.

its better on the calculator u save sooooooooooooo much more time init
Thats right! no calculator. have a go:

"A 10 ml syringe has a length of 60mm. An injection contains 4mg/ml drug X. If a patient requires drug X at a rate of 7.5mg/hour, what rate setting in mm/hour should the syringe driver be set at?

(These calculations mess with my head, it was years since i'd done long division before i had to do these again)
Reply 32
i dont have a clue whats the answer and calculations then
Jimmocrates
Thats right! no calculator. have a go:

"A 10 ml syringe has a length of 60mm. An injection contains 4mg/ml drug X. If a patient requires drug X at a rate of 7.5mg/hour, what rate setting in mm/hour should the syringe driver be set at?

(These calculations mess with my head, it was years since i'd done long division before i had to do these again)

Is it that:

1 mm has 1/6 ml
so there is 2/3 mg/mm

1mg per 2/3mm

then - for 7.5mg

2/3*7.5 = 5mm/hour
If you have 0.666mg in 1mm, how come you've got less mm containing more drug? not quite. Kind of on the right lines though!
11.25 mm/hr?
Reply 36
45 mm/hr?
11.25. well done silent ninja
i didnt use a calculator but surely you are allowed to use paper? I dont think many of us could do those in our head.
yeah, you can use paper. so thats something. they're still rather tricky though

Latest

Trending

Trending