The Student Room Group
lauren_lfc
Is it a hard course to study? Thinking of doing it as a distance a level but doing AS and A2 in the one year. Would this be possible or too much? Any info would be great :smile:

I did A Level maths in one year too albeit with school. You should be fine to do it on your own, as long as you buy a good enough textbook and follow the material and answer as many questions from there. Doing past papers will also help too.
Reply 2
woo! Looking forward to A-level maths! :smile:
A LEVEL MATHS IS GASH. I bloody hated it... so glad i was able to drop it! but then again... that's just me. I know loads of people that loved it... so if you like maths, you'll love it. That's the reason i think i hated it, i hated maths and i only did it because i got an A* at GCSE.
Reply 4
c0nfus3d
woo! Looking forward to A-level maths! :smile:

oooh i applied for it today XD. £300 for the full A level, just a tad scared cos ill be doing it with no tutor help :s-smilie: lol
Reply 5
lauren_lfc
oooh i applied for it today XD. £300 for the full A level, just a tad scared cos ill be doing it with no tutor help :s-smilie: lol

omg, don't worry, you'll be fine, just know the theories like the back of your hand and practice like there's no tomorrow. Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
does anyone know if it is possible to take further maths instead of the general maths?
freakingout
does anyone know if it is possible to take further maths instead of the general maths?

General Maths being just the 'Math' A-level? You've got to do them both along side eachother.
Further maths is an extension on single maths so you need single maths to understands the basics, which aren't all that basic, before you can develop your knowledge further.
Reply 9
Fragile_Illusions
General Maths being just the 'Math' A-level? You've got to do them both along side eachother.

Umm yeah exactly that's called A level Maths.I was saying what if we go for just Further Maths? Most of A level Maths is almost covered in GCSE Pure Maths including the basics and some advanced steps; so it wouldn't be a big deal for a GCSE Pure Maths student to understand A level Further Maths.
freakingout
Umm yeah exactly that's called A level Maths.I was saying what if we go for just Further Maths? Most of A level Maths is almost covered in GCSE Pure Maths including the basics and some advanced steps; so it wouldn't be a big deal for a GCSE Pure Maths student to understand A level Further Maths.

It is not possible to study for a qualification in A Level further mathematics without previously or concurrently studying for a qualification in A Level mathematics.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest