The Student Room Group

Applications for Modern Languages?

Hi guys,

Out of curiosity - who's applying for modern languages this year? I'm finding it quite a challenge to write my PS; I don't really want to make it an extensive list of places I've been & obvious cultural interests etc., although I wouldn't really want to do a PS focused on linguistics alone. It's been a while since I've written a PS for uni too, since I've been studying at another uni for the past 2 years. Since I'm changing both uni & course, I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips, or any links to some good PS examples for modern languages? What type of things should I definitely include?

It's not like I don't know what to write, but I'm having trouble with what I should/n't emphasise most, plus there's the dreadful matter of the word limit, lol. It'd be particularly useful if anyone could share their experiences of changing courses or reapplying to a uni offering modern languages degrees, as I'd really like to get this off in a week's time.

(edited 13 years ago)
Hey, I'm studying MFL if I can be of any use :h:.
There are a few useful PSs on TSR, if you see from the tabs above :yep:. I can't really say anything that you MUST include, because for different people, there will be different things to include depending on what you enjoy in the course, your achievements, hobbies etc.
If you're reading a book in a foreign language, add that in, if not, pick one up. Are you interested in world cinema? Have you ever worked abroad or an environment where foreign languages were necessary or useful (and you actually used it/them)? What interests you the most about MFL? Is it the culture, grammar, just being able to meet new people and try out the language? It really doesn't have to be entirely academic related (although a relation to MFL is still useful!) I would say the smallest paragraph, excluding the intro and conclusion, would be your hobbies, and if you have done things such as worked abroad, read a novel in X language, taken part in a student exchange, definitly emphasise these more than other aspects.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending