The Student Room Group

Asking Questions - is it a sign of intelligence?

Now, you may have heard teachers saying this quite frequently and often I agree but when you yourself start asking to many questions you ironically begin to question your own intellectual capabilities.

I tend to ask alot of questions in class and people kind of turn around as if it's strange but I'm just that kind of person - I need to know exactly what the answer is and why. I understand that this is rather difficult when it comes to explaining something quite complex such as particle Physics, but that's aside the point; generally I like to ask questions for my own benefit.

I really hate it when the teacher asks, "So, do you all understand?" and everybody nods but deep down I don't understand - this is when I put my hand up and probably aggravate other people in doing so.

Anyway, what are your views?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dededex
Now, you may have heard teachers saying this quite frequently and often I agree but when you yourself start asking to many questions you ironically begin to question your own intellectual capabilities.

I tend to ask alot of questions in class and people kind of turn around as if it's strange but I'm just that kind of person - I need to know exactly what the answer is and why. I understand that this is rather difficult when it comes to explaining something quite complex such as particle Physics, but that's aside the point; generally I like to ask questions for my own benefit.

I really hate it when the teacher asks, "So, do you all understand?" and everybody nods but deep down I don't understand - this is when I put my hand up and probably aggravate other people in doing so.

The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked :smile:

If you don't understand something, chances are that heaps of other people don't either - it's well worth saying something! I bet if you ask questions a few times then other people will start to ask some too, they're just too scared to make the first move.
Reply 2
M_E_X
The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked :smile:

If you don't understand something, chances are that heaps of other people don't either - it's well worth saying something! I bet if you ask questions a few times then other people will start to ask some too, they're just too scared to make the first move.

True that to be honest :yep:
Reply 3
"Ask and be a fool for 5 minutes, don't ask and remain a fool forever"
Reply 4
Dededex

Asking questions is a sign of curiosity. :p: It can be a sign of intelligence but it depends on whether you take up that info and what kind of questions you ask. It's a good thing though I think, I ask a lot of questions myself.
Reply 5
qasman

I suppose; you are making good points I just don't like it when people kind of stare when you're trying to understand what the teacher is saying.
Reply 6
It depends. You can ask a question which in turn reflects your misunderstanding (stupidity) of something or you can ask a really logical question that perhaps hasn't been answered which a lot of scientists do which reflects their intelligence.
The stupidest person at my school used to ask questions all the time in the style below.

Teacher: "So the homework's in for Tuesday, any questions"? Mug: "So... um is Tuesday the day that we have to do the homework by"? SO irritating. However I do think that asking intelligent questions makes you seem bright.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Nayred
It depends. You can ask a question which in turn reflects your misunderstanding (stupidity) of something or you can ask a really logical question that perhaps hasn't been answered which a lot of scientists do which reflects their intelligence.

Not sure what you exactly mean by this; are you implying that if I didn't understand a method in Maths it'd be stupidity?
Dededex

I also do this and my Law teacher hates me for it/ bullies me, because she feels small, because she doesn't have the knowledge to answer my questions.
It depends what kind of questions you ask. In general, asking questions is good and shows you're interested, which is the only reliable way to become good at anything, but there are some people who just ask inane questions constantly and never get to grips with the subject they're asking about because they're so far wide of the mark.
Reply 11
Chumbaniya
It depends what kind of questions you ask. In general, asking questions is good and shows you're interested, which is the only reliable way to become good at anything, but there are some people who just ask inane questions constantly and never get to grips with the subject they're asking about because they're so far wide of the mark.

Well the example I have was in Physics the other day learning about feynman diagrams, I didn't understand how the beta decays worked and how he was using lepton numbers in these equations. I mean like it wasn't just a quick hand up explanation, it was like 5 mins - I got it in the end though.
Reply 12
I don't like people who ask questions for the sake of "oh, hey, I'm trying to look clever".
(edited 13 years ago)
The way I always see it is if its a general knowledge type/ relating x to y to z question I will ask that when we have started doing our individual work.

If it is something that requires like 10 minutes to explain, again i will wait

If it is a simple... so wait you mean??? then i will ask it then and there.

It does get annoying when you are trying to learn a topic and people ask the first sort of question which means the teacher will go off on a tangent and end up at a point that doesn't necessarily help us with the topic we are on.
Reply 14
Dededex

So you are saying, not being able to understand certain ideas as quickly as other pupils and having to ask a question for further clarification is in some way a sign of intelligence...
Dededex

yeh exactly as you put it really. I also sometimes ask questions to further my own understanding beyond what is 'required', and to raise discussions and benefit the understanding of other people in the class.
I used to be really shy, but now i make sure i make the most of every lesson. Perhaps it annoys people, but my classes are very small and everybody else is genuinely interested in the subject by this stage, so i'd assume they don't mind.
Dededex

YES! You sound like me. :woo:

Either people think it's a nice distraction and fun, just a quirk, or they get really annoyed - generally when they dislike the subject anyway.
Reply 17
Dededex

I haven't read through the thread yet so I do not know what sort of advice you were given regarding the matter, but I am always too shy to ask and I always always deep down wish someone puts their hand up to ask a question. The chances are that there are people in your class that also rely on someone else to ask their question or enquire matters further :smile:

What you doing is normal for a student of knowledge and it is by no means a sign of high, or low, intelligence.
Reply 18
D.R.E
So you are saying, not being able to understand certain ideas as quickly as other pupils and having to ask a question for further clarification is in some way a sign of intelligence...

Well when you put it like that it sounds unfair but what I should be saying is:

Does it make you any less intelligent than someone who picks it up quickly?
qasman

Think for yourself.

Dededex

Second thing I learnt in uni is that you have to work it out for yourself. So asking questions is pointless.

Latest

Trending

Trending