The Student Room Group

Induction Day at Next?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I have my first day soon and have no idea where to go?! am so nervous! dont know how to "clock" in etc
Reply 81
hey, i applied for a job at next and got a call a couple of days ago saying that they'd taken their longer term temps on, but were looking for people just for the sales on the 27th and 28th and if i'd be interested. i said i would be and she took my number and said she'd give me a call next week about it. do you still have to go through the interview stage and stuff just for sales temp work or will she just basically say come in for an induction- i'm guessing it's just tidying the store anyways so there won't be much to learn for those shifts?
Original post by Lauraa J
I have my first day soon and have no idea where to go?! am so nervous! dont know how to "clock" in etc

Don't worry, nerves are normal but don't let them overcome you. Do you know what your first shift is and what department it is in? you should arrive in plenty of time in advance and sign in at the staff entrance then leave your coat in your locker/staff room. then go to the department you're working in for that shift and clock in at the tills with your payroll number. If you haven't been given one yet then ask a manager and they'll help you.
Any problems then just ask. :smile:
Original post by th10
hey, i applied for a job at next and got a call a couple of days ago saying that they'd taken their longer term temps on, but were looking for people just for the sales on the 27th and 28th and if i'd be interested. i said i would be and she took my number and said she'd give me a call next week about it. do you still have to go through the interview stage and stuff just for sales temp work or will she just basically say come in for an induction- i'm guessing it's just tidying the store anyways so there won't be much to learn for those shifts?

You will probably still have to go through the interview stage just because it's standard procedure but you shouldn't stress out about that. You will most likely be doing more than just tidying the store, you may be trained to use the tills, put out stock or even work front cover. You will probably be told when you come in for your induction.
Hey, I'm also starting at Next, as a Christmas Sales Temp, in a couple of days. I know I'm going to be till trained on that first day. But as I'm a new start, should I use the staff entrance or the main entrance? Should I put my stuff in the staff room before I let them know I'm there to be trained? I'm seriously stressing about this even though I know its silly :/ and in general, how do I know what job I'm meant to be doing, like on till or front cover etc?
Reply 85
Original post by hidehidehidehi
Hey, I'm also starting at Next, as a Christmas Sales Temp, in a couple of days. I know I'm going to be till trained on that first day. But as I'm a new start, should I use the staff entrance or the main entrance? Should I put my stuff in the staff room before I let them know I'm there to be trained? I'm seriously stressing about this even though I know its silly :/ and in general, how do I know what job I'm meant to be doing, like on till or front cover etc?

Get there in good time for your shift, going through the staff entrance, and leave your stuff in the staff room ready to start a shift as normal. Try and find a manager/line manager to talk about your training - it will most likely be whilst the store is open.

Regarding what you're doing, it may vary from store to store. My store has a floor plan rota and if you check it at the beginning of the day it'll show you what you're soon and for how long (front cover, recovery, tills, fitting rooms, etc).

I hope that helps.
Thank you :smile:

Right... I know they mentioned that there was some kind of rota, but I was never shown it or where it would be. Which is why I'm having a mini-panic now :/

As an Xmas temp. I'm only contracted about 4 hours over 2 weeks, but they want me to take overtime. I'm just wondering how I go about that? I was never told about shifts. Any help is much appreciated :smile:
Reply 87
Thank you :smile:

Right... I know they mentioned that there was some kind of rota, but I was never shown it or where it would be. Which is why I'm having a mini-panic now :/

As an Xmas temp. I'm only contracted about 4 hours over 2 weeks, but they want me to take overtime. I'm just wondering how I go about that? I was never told about shifts. Any help is much appreciated :smile:

Ringing up or speaking to your manager is the best way to get some overtime. Don't worry about the rota, etc - as soon as you make another member of staff aware that you're new I'm sure they'll help you around.

Your permanent staff should've had a talk on welcoming Christmas temps so I'm sure it'll be fine whoever you approach. If not, ask for a manager. Also, remember to clock in as you won't want pay deducted on your first day!
Okay, thanks so much for your help.

Clocking in can be done on any till point, right?
Reply 89
Okay, thanks so much for your help.

Clocking in can be done on any till point, right?

Yes, and in the stockroom. Press "more" then "Clock In" and you'll be fine. Just remember two minutes late means 15 mins less pay.
Reply 90
heyy...im starting at next for the christmas temp job..we were told on induction that were have to wear the t-shirts that they would give us on christmas eve... but im not working that day...do u think i should ring n ask???
Reply 91
I have just received a call from Next asking me if I am available to work during the next few weeks im not sure if it is temp or perma, they skipped asking me for interview and said I need to come on Thursday for inductions day. Now this if my first job ever, I don''t know what role im offered, and I have no experience and I am real nervous now. Anybody know what it is like on induction day, and whether I will do some work on that day. Also what should I wear on the induction day. Damn Im so nervous! I need to take a deep breath in and out. Any advice is appreciated guys and gals, thanks.
Original post by star_02
heyy...im starting at next for the christmas temp job..we were told on induction that were have to wear the t-shirts that they would give us on christmas eve... but im not working that day...do u think i should ring n ask???

I would say you should definitely ring them, and preferably ask to speak to the person who told you about the t-shirts when you do... that way there'll be no doubt in your mind if you hear it from them. It might be that they'll ask you to come in on Christmas Eve to collect your shirt, but I would say most likely they'll just give it to you on your first shift :smile: hope that helps.
Reply 93
Original post by 2faced

Original post by 2faced
I have just received a call from Next asking me if I am available to work during the next few weeks im not sure if it is temp or perma, they skipped asking me for interview and said I need to come on Thursday for inductions day. Now this if my first job ever, I don''t know what role im offered, and I have no experience and I am real nervous now. Anybody know what it is like on induction day, and whether I will do some work on that day. Also what should I wear on the induction day. Damn Im so nervous! I need to take a deep breath in and out. Any advice is appreciated guys and gals, thanks.

On the induction day, they will literally just walk you around the store and talk you through health and safety stuff. It's not scary at all! They won't really care what you wear, but I'd advise going smart-casual.

Also, without an interview, you've probably just been given a few days temp work. However, make sure you give them a ring and ask for shifts afterward. There are always hours going, and it could lead to a permanent part-time job. I was only supposed to be there for 4 hours on a sale day, and ended up spending 3 years.
Reply 94
ok, totally confused here. i'm a sales temp and went for my induction, filled out my personal info, bank details etc, had the health and safety/sale dvds and a tour of the store and we were told to sign in and out in a book (so that they know who is in the building for safety), but nothing about signing in on the tills or anything. also i haven't been given a payroll number, so don't think i could clock in even if someone showed me how?

but i got called to go in for 3 hrs today to sort out stock ready for the sale. went in and signed in the book, but now i'm thinking even if i'm just doing 2 days work, surely i should be clocking in somewhere official, they're not going to look at that book to sort my wages out. am i wrong in thinking this or should i be asking for info for clocking in, or isn't that for the staff that are just there for a couple of days? not worried about getting paid once it's sorted as the signing in book shows i was there, but i'm wondering whether i'm meant to be? plus the other people on my induction were friends/family so had people they knew as members of staff to tell them if they had to, i was the only one who didn't, so maybe it slipped the manager's mind to show me how to clock in?
Original post by th10
ok, totally confused here. i'm a sales temp and went for my induction, filled out my personal info, bank details etc, had the health and safety/sale dvds and a tour of the store and we were told to sign in and out in a book (so that they know who is in the building for safety), but nothing about signing in on the tills or anything. also i haven't been given a payroll number, so don't think i could clock in even if someone showed me how?

but i got called to go in for 3 hrs today to sort out stock ready for the sale. went in and signed in the book, but now i'm thinking even if i'm just doing 2 days work, surely i should be clocking in somewhere official, they're not going to look at that book to sort my wages out. am i wrong in thinking this or should i be asking for info for clocking in, or isn't that for the staff that are just there for a couple of days? not worried about getting paid once it's sorted as the signing in book shows i was there, but i'm wondering whether i'm meant to be? plus the other people on my induction were friends/family so had people they knew as members of staff to tell them if they had to, i was the only one who didn't, so maybe it slipped the manager's mind to show me how to clock in?

You're right that the amount of time you're working for them won't matter, because there were people at the store I work in this evening who were working only tonight and sale day, and they clocked in. Does your store definitely use the clocking in 'time and attendance' system on the tills? I got the impression that not every store uses it, though I might be mistaken. I wasn't shown by my manager either, but she did give me my payroll number, and I was shown by some other workers when I started. So for no one to have mentioned it is odd. You're right about the book though, its not really taken seriously at my store. There wasn't even a pen today.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help... if no one on here comes up with a better answer, ask your manager as soon as you can :smile:
Reply 96
You're right that the amount of time you're working for them won't matter, because there were people at the store I work in this evening who were working only tonight and sale day, and they clocked in. Does your store definitely use the clocking in 'time and attendance' system on the tills? I got the impression that not every store uses it, though I might be mistaken. I wasn't shown by my manager either, but she did give me my payroll number, and I was shown by some other workers when I started. So for no one to have mentioned it is odd. You're right about the book though, its not really taken seriously at my store. There wasn't even a pen today.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help... if no one on here comes up with a better answer, ask your manager as soon as you can :smile:

yeah, thanks, i'm going to ask before i start on monday, i'll have no chance of asking once the sale gets underway, guessing it will be a bit hectic! i'm not sure if they definitely use the system but it's worth checking with them, don't want to wait until i find that my payslip doesn't exist lol!
Original post by th10
yeah, thanks, i'm going to ask before i start on monday, i'll have no chance of asking once the sale gets underway, guessing it will be a bit hectic! i'm not sure if they definitely use the system but it's worth checking with them, don't want to wait until i find that my payslip doesn't exist lol!

Yeah, either ask on Monday or maybe ring up early the next day? It's a perfectly valid question to ask and that way you'll know for certain if anything needs sorting out :smile: hope everything works out for you.
Reply 98
Yeah, either ask on Monday or maybe ring up early the next day? It's a perfectly valid question to ask and that way you'll know for certain if anything needs sorting out :smile: hope everything works out for you.

sorted! sale was manic but got my number to clock in on the tills today :-) i've still got to ring them though because i didn't have it for my last shift so need to make sure that those hours are counted.
Original post by th10
sorted! sale was manic but got my number to clock in on the tills today :-) i've still got to ring them though because i didn't have it for my last shift so need to make sure that those hours are counted.

Great :smile: let me know how it goes, as I've actually got a similar problem, but in reverse; I haven't been clocking off, because I was never shown how, and while I got paid for one shift, I'm yet to be paid for my second, and I'm praying it's not due to that :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending