The Student Room Group

An education system based upon how much mummy and daddy earn NOT academic ability?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Miss_Scarlett
I would love to agree with you, in the principle that "those who want to can, and those who don't won't" but life is not that simple.

You cannot any longer simply "rise to the top" if you do not have the means to do so. Many people are currently jostling to get a job because there are too few to go around. The fee loan is a very basic salary which can be difficult to utilise fully to an 18 year old who is managing their finances for the first time, some courses are intense and therefore it is not an option to get a part time job without the potential for jeopardising studies.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it is surely making it harder and harder for those from less privileged backgrounds?

I'd actually say it's harder for someone from my background, as the really poor people get grants.

My parents have to pay high rate tax, child benefit will be cut in 2013, and pay more towards my university costs. I don't get grants or anything.

It's also buggered up my plan a bit, I was going to take a loan anyway and leave my trust fund in the bank, gaining intrest, and then pay off the loan as soon as I get out. I'm not sure I can fully pay for it myself anymore.

I still think this is much better than a graduate tax, though personally I'd favour aboloshing mickey mouse degrees like Health and Social care, Media etc (no offence to anyone taking these!) and making unis purely academic once more.
Miss_Scarlett
Thank you. Finally someone who is seeing the other side of this.

Also major respect to you for your part time job, I know there is absolutely no way I could do what you are doing. Medicine is exhausting enough.

not being able to afford each year of uni is due to not having enough maintenance money - nothing to do with fees at all.
.Ali.
I'd actually say it's harder for someone from my background, as the really poor people get grants.

My parents have to pay high rate tax, child benefit will be cut in 2013, and pay more towards my university costs. I don't get grants or anything.

It's also buggered up my plan a bit, I was going to take a loan anyway and leave my trust fund in the bank, gaining intrest, and then pay off the loan as soon as I get out. I'm not sure I can fully pay for it myself anymore.

I still think this is much better than a graduate tax, though personally I'd favour aboloshing mickey mouse degrees like Health and Social care, Media etc (no offence to anyone taking these!) and making unis purely academic once more.

Good point about people " in them middle" so to speak, seems they are the ones missing out :/
Reply 23
JesusIsMyHomeboy
I don't think Mc Tarquinius in your sig is going to like that.

I think MC Tarquinius would be very happy with that actually. :wink:
tazarooni89
What has loan interest got to do with "how much mummy and daddy earn" when they're not the ones paying it? :s-smilie:

it's all about widening the gap between rich and poor.
Miss_Scarlett
It's not insulting because from going into schools which are seen to be in socioeconomically deprived areas, to talk about a career in medicine, this seems to be a prevalent attitude.

I am merely speaking as I have found.

Really? I've talked to people in that situation and their expectations salary-wise were too expectant in my experience - media reports about £300k GP salaries aren't really helping!

I've never met a student (from a poor background or otherwise) who believes that doctors aren't well paid.
angelmxxx
not being able to afford each year of uni is due to not having enough maintenance money - nothing to do with fees at all.

Does not mean it's nothing to do with how the demographic applying for certain courses may change. You are clutching at draws.

Plus people are not going to think that, cost is cost no matter how it is broken up.
Reply 27
Miss_Scarlett
Good point about people " in them middle" so to speak, seems they are the ones missing out :/

It always hits the middle-classes the most tbh, which is really annoying. The poor are fine they get welfare, the millionaires are usually okay, and it's the middle-class who are left to deal with it.
Mr. Orange
it's all about widening the gap between rich and poor.

What? Everyone pays the same rate of interest on the loan (unless they're not earning) - their parents are possibly the most irrelevant thing to their repayments ever!
Reply 29
I fail to understand how Browne's report recommendations will offer "More choice, more opportunities".
Miss_Scarlett
Does not mean it's nothing to do with how the demographic applying for certain courses may change. You are clutching at draws.

Plus people are not going to think that, cost is cost no matter how it is broken up.

I'm not clutching at straws - if fees were free, my maintenance loan still wouldn't cover my accomodation.

If fees were £1m a year, it wouldn't either.

Obviously if repayments were like bank loans I'd be panicking because I'd have to save for repayments, but they're not, it's 9% of your income over £15k (would rise to £21k with the Browne report implemented).

'Poor students' get a £3000 grant, £3500 loan PLUS uni bursaries (can be £1000s a year from Oxbridge, minimum is £350ish).

So they have more money than everyone except those with super rich parents.
angelmxxx
Really? I've talked to people in that situation and their expectations salary-wise were too expectant in my experience - media reports about £300k GP salaries aren't really helping!

I've never met a student (from a poor background or otherwise) who believes that doctors aren't well paid.

Yes, really.

Clearly the people you have spoken to, are different from the ones i have spoken too.

It depends what you consider well paid. People consider it only in terms of the raw value, the monetary figure....they do not consider the 10 years + of training that will be necessary to acheive that.

I am not looking down upon the student doctors' salary at all, however I think it is fair to say that it is earned after 7 years of training, the work and hours involved in the job.
(edited 13 years ago)
angelmxxx
What? Everyone pays the same rate of interest on the loan (unless they're not earning) - their parents are possibly the most irrelevant thing to their repayments ever!

the longer it takes to repay the more total interest is paid.
angelmxxx
I'm not clutching at straws - if fees were free, my maintenance loan still wouldn't cover my accomodation.

If fees were £1m a year, it wouldn't either.

Obviously if repayments were like bank loans I'd be panicking because I'd have to save for repayments, but they're not, it's 9% of your income over £15k (would rise to £21k with the Browne report implemented).

'Poor students' get a £3000 grant, £3500 loan PLUS uni bursaries (can be £1000s a year from Oxbridge, minimum is £350ish).

So they have more money than everyone except those with super rich parents.

What about those who will not have their fees paid for by their parents and are not eligible for that amount of state funding either? What about the middle classes?

And please dont say they can get a part time job, it is just not plausible particularly in the clinical years of medicine/dentistry and would even be a push in the preclinical.
(edited 13 years ago)
Mr. Orange

As it does with any loan. Why should a government loan be any different from others? You get a good deal with your student loan - it's almost always lower than any high street interest rate, and under the current system after 25 years it's written off.
Mr. Orange

I know that. But why would my mum's salary affect how much I earn - and thus repay?

I'm talking about poor STUDENTS - as in from low income families; not low earning GRADUATES.

If you're talking about low-earning graduates then I'll probably agree with you.
Reply 36
fantasystar38
I study medicine also, and I HAVE to work to support myself, otherwise I quite simply wouldn't be able to afford it. I finish regularly finish work at 3am and then have to get up at 8am for uni.

The raise in tuition WILL put people off university, particularly longer degrees, as they may not be able to fund themselves through it. It would also spell an end to graduate medicine as graduates are not entitled to any fee support.

The rich will be able to pay for it, the poor will have it paid for them, it's those in the middle like me who will have to muddle their way through it.

^this.^

props to you for holding down a job AND a med degree by the way!

my parents literally earn pennies over the maximum amount qualifying for financial aid- plus they've got my siblings to take care of and little in the way of savings. i worked out the other day that my gov. loan for ucl (if I got in) would cover the standard budget for about 4 months, then I'd be living on the streets :zomg:

personally, I believe funding to 'non-degrees' (subjects which rarely result in grad level employment/ teach you little more than you'd learn in a couple years of a job in a relevant sector) should be cut and money funnelled into equal opportunities to do something worthwhile!
If mummy and daddy earn lots mummy and daddy will send you to private school where your grades will be inflated.

Grades aren't a direct link to academic ability; other factors can affect them.

By the way, I didn't read your post.
It is important to remember that under our proposals that no student or their family will have to pay the up-front costs of tuition - they will only make repayments as graduates.

Instititions that wish to charge more will have to prove that they are taking additional steps to improve fair access for those from the lowest income families. This will be carefully monitored and their record on access will be publicly available.
Miss_Scarlett
What about those who will not have their fees paid for by their parents and are not eligible for that amount of state funding either? What about the middle classes?

And please dont say they can get a part time job, it is just not plausible particularly in the clinical years of medicine/dentistry and would even be a push in the preclinical.

You don't have to tell me about the squeezed middle classes, I'm very much from a squeezed family!

I was talking about fees. I know the maintenance situation's rubbish, but that's irrelevant to the fees.

Students won't pay their fees back until they've graduated and are earning £21k. So any issues with not being able to afford living costs are 100% to do with maintenance loans and grants - nothing to do with fees.

People who don't have parents rich enough to pay fees back (I'm going for about 80-90% of students) will just pay back 9% of their earnings over £100k. Doctors will actually do well, as they'll have high salaries, so pay back loans faster, and thus avoid extra interest charges.

This thread (and the whole Ask Lord Browne part of the forum) are to do with fees. He's proposed INCREASING the minimum maintenance loan students get anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending