The Student Room Group

An education system based upon how much mummy and daddy earn NOT academic ability?

Scroll to see replies

.Ali.
Not the same as a degree in health and social care, which I thought you were talking about.

I'd classify social work as a subset of health and social care. I've never actually heard of a degree actually called health and social care.
Reply 141
I understand the point you are making I am in a predicament at the moment started uni 4 weeks ago and studying business management and paying uni all by myself but 4 weeks in I am thinking is this really a worthwhile investment, before i even start my life i am going to be 20,000+ in debt without a guaranteed job when I leave, I know loads of people at uni who mommy and daddy are paying everything so that worry of money is eliminated from them so they would never need to second guess uni but when you have that worry, you do question it, they straight away will have a better start in life than me and there fortunate for that and there is nothing wrong with parents paying but it does affect you when you are not rich and getting any help because you really question it, to me i see it as an equivalent as a mortgage do i really need that degree that much I just don't know.
Original post by .Ali.
It's a degree that proves you're academic ability (somewhat at least), and you need communication skills for social work. You don't need a health and social degree to be a social worker.

You need a degree in social work to get a job as a social worker. It's vocational. Some - but only a handful - of councils run schemes with apprenticeships for social workers but the places are HARD to get and they're few and far between. Don't spout about what you don't know.

Why does anyone need to prove they're academically able? :confused: And why does an English degree only prove you're 'somewhat' able anyway?

Quick Reply