The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, i'm afraid you need one for anything that's broadcast live. Usually a pop up comes up saying to check if you have a valid tv license before you watch it.
Reply 2
Yeah, you need a license to watch live TV on your computer.
You don't need it for things like iPlayer.
Reply 3
FTstudies
As the question says, i know iPlayer doesn't, but I wanted to watch a programme on BBC tonight, and wondered whether watching the BBC Live stream thing was illegal on my computer.

You opened a can of worms there. Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but my guess would be no because you are paying to use the internet and you are watching it through an internet stream not through a digital or analog receiver.
If you're watching it on a laptop, and it's not plugged into the mains, you don't need one - it's covered by your licence at home, for some reason.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/
Indeed :yep:
Reply 6
Law123mus
You opened a can of worms there. Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but my guess would be no because you are paying to use the internet and you are watching it through an internet stream not through a digital or analog receiver.

Paying for the Internet has nothing to do with it. It's the Internet provider who receives the money from that. Not the BBC.

Even if you're watching it as a live broadcast you still need a licence, providing it actually is live. One exception being if you're watching it unplugged from the mains and your "main residence" (usually parents' house) is covered by a licence.

Whether they actually know you're watching it online (and don't have a licence) is another matter....
Reply 7
You only need a television license if you intend to watch programmes as they are broadcast but technically (please do not take this as gospel as I am only about eighty per cent sure) you are unlikely to get caught for watching live programmes over the internet, especially if you do not own a television at your university address.
Reply 8
I think so-not for iplayer definitely, but yes for programmes live....
Reply 9
Quoted from BBC website:

"You may not watch television programmes using BBC iPlayer on any device (including mobile phones, laptops and personal computers) at the same time (or virtually the same time) as the programmes are being broadcast, simulcast or otherwise made available to members of the public on television unless you have a valid television licence. For more information on this requirement please see Do I need a TV licence to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer? or you can contact TV Licensing by calling 0870 241 5590 or by visiting www.tvlicensing.co.uk/".
dothestrand
If you're watching it on a laptop, and it's not plugged into the mains, you don't need one - it's covered by your licence at home, for some reason.

I believe that they intend for devices like handheld portable TVs, etc. to be covered by your home licence. I would imagine that the TV Licensing people would count your internet connection as an aerial, even if your laptop isn't plugged in.
John@Staffs
I believe that they intend for devices like handheld portable TVs, etc. to be covered by your home licence. I would imagine that the TV Licensing people would count your internet connection as an aerial, even if your laptop isn't plugged in.

It may be intended to be like that - but it's a loophole in the rules that hasn't been closed. If you're watching live BBC on your uplugged laptop, you don't need a TV licence.
yes
Reply 13
Yes you would - apparently though it's only BBC you need to pay for, so if you wanted to watch another channel live you would be allowed to (this is only what I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong) - besides, it'll be on iPlayer not long after it finishes :wink:
Reply 14
Unplug it from the mains and you don't need a TV license as long as you live in a house which is covered by a TV License when you're not at uni.

River85
Paying for the Internet has nothing to do with it. It's the Internet provider who receives the money from that. Not the BBC.

Even if you're watching it as a live broadcast you still need a licence, providing it actually is live. One exception being if you're watching it unplugged from the mains and your "main residence" (usually parents' house) is covered by a licence.

Whether they actually know you're watching it online (and don't have a licence) is another matter....

Is that both wi-fi and using an ethernet cable, or just wi-fi?
Reply 16
misst911
Yes you would - apparently though it's only BBC you need to pay for, so if you wanted to watch another channel live you would be allowed to (this is only what I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong)

You stand corrected.

It does not matter what channel you are streaming. Any live television requires a licence.
Reply 17
Reue
You stand corrected.

It does not matter what channel you are streaming. Any live television requires a licence.

Okay thanks for clearing that up :smile: The money paid does go to the BBC though?
Reply 18
Technically yes you do need a license, but in reality you will get away with it most of the time.
Reply 19
There is the possibilty that if you're suspected of watching live tv without a licence online, they could go to your ISP and ask for Bandwidth history, visited sites etc. But as stated, very unlikely.

And also don't forget that as well as your ISP, BT may well be able to see what's going down the line too, since they own it, although don't quote me on that.

Latest

Trending

Trending