The Student Room Group

What do I do about poor bio teacher?

I'm retaking my AS year and am doing biology as one of my subjects. I won't go into why I've retaken the year but I really cannot afford to fail anything because it's my last chance, and I really want to do well.

The thing is, one of my teachers for biology is really poor. At first I thought it was just me not quite understanding the topic she was teaching, but after chatting to other people in my class, we all seem to agree that we're not learning very effectively from her.

Her lessons lack cohesion, all we seem to do is copy notes from powerpoints and while we're focusing on copying everything down she talks about the next thing and it's hard to concentrate on what she's saying aswell as taking notes so I sometimes miss what she's talking about, which is probably relevant stuff.

Also, she sets us homework probably on a weekly basis, but some of it will be on things we haven't even covered yet. On one question I even skim read the whole topic in the textbook looking for the answer, found nothing to do with it and had to google the answer in the end.

Plus, because I don't really get what she's doing in lessons, I'm having to spend an extra hour per lesson going over the things at home using my textbook and the internet.

The last straw was yesterday when we doing an experiment to test the permeability of cell membranes in beetroot in different levels of alcohol and she ended up mixing all our test tubes up so me and my partner didn't know which test tube was which and our results, consequently, were not reliable.

I'm not sure what I can do about it really, I don't want to swap classes purely because my other teacher for biology is a really good teacher (he even went over something that the crap teacher had "taught" us and I understood it straight away when he was explained it).

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or can empathise, please let me know!
Reply 1
i know how u feel- my C1 teacher can't speak english properly so it's kinda annoying as i have to really really concentrate hard on what she's saying but she's OK
Reply 2
urgh i know how you're feeling. i have terrible maths and french teachers and my work is really suffering. When i went to see my year head, he turned it around as if i am the problem.
Shippy
I'm retaking my AS year and am doing biology as one of my subjects. I won't go into why I've retaken the year but I really cannot afford to fail anything because it's my last chance, and I really want to do well.

The thing is, one of my teachers for biology is really poor. At first I thought it was just me not quite understanding the topic she was teaching, but after chatting to other people in my class, we all seem to agree that we're not learning very effectively from her.

Her lessons lack cohesion, all we seem to do is copy notes from powerpoints and while we're focusing on copying everything down she talks about the next thing and it's hard to concentrate on what she's saying aswell as taking notes so I sometimes miss what she's talking about, which is probably relevant stuff.

Also, she sets us homework probably on a weekly basis, but some of it will be on things we haven't even covered yet. On one question I even skim read the whole topic in the textbook looking for the answer, found nothing to do with it and had to google the answer in the end.

Plus, because I don't really get what she's doing in lessons, I'm having to spend an extra hour per lesson going over the things at home using my textbook and the internet.

The last straw was yesterday when we doing an experiment to test the permeability of cell membranes in beetroot in different levels of alcohol and she ended up mixing all our test tubes up so me and my partner didn't know which test tube was which and our results, consequently, were not reliable.

I'm not sure what I can do about it really, I don't want to swap classes purely because my other teacher for biology is a really good teacher (he even went over something that the crap teacher had "taught" us and I understood it straight away when he was explained it).

i go to a retarded college with retarded teachers

i have decided to start skipping as many days as i can get away with and learn by myself at home because the lessons are a waste of time.
Reply 4
LazyWorseThanInfidel
i go to a retarded college with retarded teachers

i have decided to start skipping as many days as i can get away with and learn by myself at home because the lessons are a waste of time.

I skipped two months of college last year (didn't do any work though) and that's why i'm repeating the year. I would if i could tbh, but they're keeping a close eye on attendance and ****.
Reply 5
Shippy

Just self-teach yourself the module (s), it's extra effort but it'll be worth it....incorporate learning styles that you are adjusted to...
Shippy
I skipped two months of college last year (didn't do any work though) and that's why i'm repeating the year. I would if i could tbh, but they're keeping a close eye on attendance and ****.

maybe do not takes notes, or, learn how to be extremely fast so much so that only you can read it then rewrite after. also have a CGP book specific to your exam board in front of you and read that when the teacher is being retarded. i am beginning to passionately hate incompetent teachers
Reply 7
Hmm, well I suppose self-teaching myself might be the way to go. I already spend a fair bit of my time studying anyway, just kinda a bummer to spend extra time doing it by myself but I'd rather get good grades doing it on my own than sit around whining :smile: thanks for the advice guys!
Reply 8
I had a terrible Psychology teacher last year, she'd basically give us an overview of the issue we were supposed to learn and then would spend the rest of the period making us do "roleplays", for example making us pretend to be a CBT therapist and patient - without having described CBT or telling us any part of common procedures, of course. She gave us a list of studies we were supposed to have learned over the year a month before the exam. :p:

Needless to say, I stopped caring about her lessons, didn't do the work and failed that third of the exam paper because I forgot that people actually have to put effort in when you have a retarded teacher. Oopsie.

Moral of the story - hope for the best and do extra work, complain if it will make you feel better but complaining usually does ****-all.
CGP might be the way to go. I haven't got any books for AS sciences yet, but thanks to awful teaching for three years, I taught myself the entire chemistry GCSE from the CGP revision book and still got an A*. I reckon that's enough evidence that they are good quality (but like I said, I haven't seen an A level one).

And do your own work in the lessons if you can- why waste time doing exactly what your teacher wants you to do and getting nothing out of it, when you could achieve what they want you to by your own methods? As long as you are learning the right stuff, I don't see why it should be a problem.

You could also try asking another teacher for study/revision sessions in the chapters covered by the crap teacher.

Good luck!
Shippy

I know how you feel- ive had rubbish teachers in the past. I suggest you complain to a teacher at school- maybe the head of 6th form or the head of science. Then see what happens with that. If you get a few people from your class to complain then it will look better and they will hopefully realise that it isnt just you and she really is a rubbish teacher. If that fails, get your parents to complain to the school. They will listen if parents complain.
Reply 11
Oasis Jnr
i know how u feel- my C1 teacher can't speak english properly so it's kinda annoying as i have to really really concentrate hard on what she's saying but she's OK

This is true. Mines jamaican with a super strong accent :p: shes lovely but so confusing..
Shippy

This particular part sounds pretty much like how things work for me at university (in a lot of lectures at least) so I guess you'd better do what I'm doing and start on a lot more independent research / study. Sure it's not a whole lot of fun being stuck to a book, but it should get you where you wanna be - try and remember that bit!

:hugs: Still, I do empathise OP.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
As for me, i read 3 books and self teach myself. However, if you do not understand any part, you can always go to your teacher or any other teacher at school for help.
I had a teacher who showed us powerpoints whilst talking etc. like yours. In the end, I just asked her if she could transfer the powerpoints onto my memory stick/ thumb drive/ whatever you call it, so I could listen to what she was saying at look at the powerpoints at home. It's also worth (this sounds reallly nerdy) reading ahead before lessons so you can ask questions about things you don't understand from the textbook.
If all else fails, just tell her you aren't crazy about her teaching style. If she ignores you, get your parents to write in or tell the head of dept. At least yours CAN teach you, i had a bio teacher who didnt know the equation for photosynthesis :smile: But we told the H o D and she sat in on a lesson and sorted it out.
Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending