The Student Room Group

Torn between Film/Television and Straight Media

Hiya I was wondering if anybody is on or has done a Media and Communications Degree and could tell me if the course has the freedom to really focus on a preferred genre, for instance Film and Television?
I have been scouring prospectus brochures, TSR and pretty much anything I can get my mitts on to try and decide whether to go with my head and do Media and Communications at Goldsmiths, or to do a degree that is strictly Film or Television, such as LCC's...

Ultimately I hope to end up somewhere between film, documentary, journalism in life and have been almost sold on doing Media straight but after doing a Photography Diploma that I misjudged for two years I couldn't bear the thought of poncing around with wishy washy artistic theory on subjects that I can't care for :s-smilie:

Is there anybody else in this situation, or perhaps somebody that is doing a related course that could let me know how you like it? It's so hard to know what to do. Any helpful comments would be really appreciated! (:

x
Reply 1
I'm slightly confused then, you want a more hands-on production course? In which case I'd suggest a TV or Film or Media Production course. Originally when I was choosing my degree, I was torn between various Film/TV/Media Production, Studies, Cinema, Media etc, basically every course to do with Media. In the end I'm now studying TV, Film & Theatre at the University of Reading and LOVING it, there's practical elements to the course, as well as a decent amount of theory/debate/critique of various shows.
Don't apply to LCC, I went to an open day and they said the applicant to place ratio is 80:1. Ludicrous.
Reply 3
If you don't want wishy 'washy artistic theory', then you should go for straight media. Since Film / Television is more specific, you can expect even more of that 'wishy washy artistic theory'
Reply 4
LOL
Reply 5
Original post by therealOG
LOL

Please, do go on...
Reply 6
Original post by morris743
Please, do go on...

Basically, "LOL" stands for laughing out loud. Hope that helped.
Reply 7
Original post by therealOG
Basically, "LOL" stands for laughing out loud. Hope that helped.

Ahh I see, thanks for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending