The Student Room Group

BSc Economics with Japanese

Hello!

I am a student from Germany and looking for an academic career within the UK in the future.

However my grades are due to several circumstances, which do not really matter in this case, slightly below the standart offer of the leading universities.

Naturally I have been looking for a few "insurances" and staggered upon Birmingham's BSc Economics with Japanese.

Now as I have always been interested in the overall Japanese culture, I have been considering to put this degree as an insurance, as the requirements are more easily within my current reach.
So before I finish my personal statement for the probably 10928th time I figured I would drop a few questions concerning this course.

1. Would I have to tailor my personal statement specifically towards the Japanese content?
1.1. Would I nullify my chances of admission into a pure Economics course?

2. Is Birmingham far from London? How much would travel cost? (I have a few friends there and some things I would like to do still.)

3. Would the year abroad actually be worth taking an extra 4th Year or am I worrying too much about it?

4. How is the year abroad to be financed?
4.1. Is it even worth thinking about this if I am to sit on all of the cost on my own, as my family isn't of wealth?
4.2. Do I need alot of money saved up or are there student loans available?
4.3. How can I come up for living expenses? Are there job possibilities or loans, anything?

5. As this course would take four years rather than three, will the student loan company loan the extra year aswell? Or do I have to pay the extra year's tution fees in full while studying?

Thanks for any advice on any of these points in advance!
Reply 1
Noone know any of these? :frown:
Original post by Nalien
Hello!

I am a student from Germany and looking for an academic career within the UK in the future.

However my grades are due to several circumstances, which do not really matter in this case, slightly below the standart offer of the leading universities.

Naturally I have been looking for a few "insurances" and staggered upon Birmingham's BSc Economics with Japanese.

Now as I have always been interested in the overall Japanese culture, I have been considering to put this degree as an insurance, as the requirements are more easily within my current reach.
So before I finish my personal statement for the probably 10928th time I figured I would drop a few questions concerning this course.

1. Would I have to tailor my personal statement specifically towards the Japanese content?
1.1. Would I nullify my chances of admission into a pure Economics course?

2. Is Birmingham far from London? How much would travel cost? (I have a few friends there and some things I would like to do still.)

3. Would the year abroad actually be worth taking an extra 4th Year or am I worrying too much about it?

4. How is the year abroad to be financed?
4.1. Is it even worth thinking about this if I am to sit on all of the cost on my own, as my family isn't of wealth?
4.2. Do I need alot of money saved up or are there student loans available?
4.3. How can I come up for living expenses? Are there job possibilities or loans, anything?

5. As this course would take four years rather than three, will the student loan company loan the extra year aswell? Or do I have to pay the extra year's tution fees in full while studying?

Thanks for any advice on any of these points in advance!

1) No you wouldn't as Japanese is a minor subject.
2) It's about 2 hours or so by train (would cost about £25 for a return if you go advanced)
3) The year abroad could possibly be the best year of your life.
4) I really don't know the answer to this question, you won't get funded by the EU like with Erasmus so I recommend emailing Birmingham Uni to ask about it.
5) I'm pretty sure you can get a four year loan but again, email TSLC to find out. You might have to pay half tution fees but do email Birmingham to find out.

Viel Glück!
Reply 3
Original post by thegenius31416
1) No you wouldn't as Japanese is a minor subject.
2) It's about 2 hours or so by train (would cost about £25 for a return if you go advanced)
3) The year abroad could possibly be the best year of your life.
4) I really don't know the answer to this question, you won't get funded by the EU like with Erasmus so I recommend emailing Birmingham Uni to ask about it.
5) I'm pretty sure you can get a four year loan but again, email TSLC to find out. You might have to pay half tution fees but do email Birmingham to find out.

Viel Glück!

Danke!

I have tried emailing Birmingham about the maintenance fees.
They were only able to link me to their scholarship page, which hasn't really been too useful though.
So I was kind of hoping someone in a similiar situation could've helped.

What would happen if I was to apply and firm this course and then not be able to pay for the Year Abroad?
Would I lose all the time I would have spent studying?
Or would there be some kind of substitution to finish the degree without the extra year?

Thanks!
Original post by Nalien
Danke!

I have tried emailing Birmingham about the maintenance fees.
They were only able to link me to their scholarship page, which hasn't really been too useful though.
So I was kind of hoping someone in a similiar situation could've helped.

What would happen if I was to apply and firm this course and then not be able to pay for the Year Abroad?
Would I lose all the time I would have spent studying?
Or would there be some kind of substitution to finish the degree without the extra year?

Thanks!

I imagine it would count simply as 'BSc Economics' but again, I don't really know, sorry.
Hopefully you'll get a better answer from someone else.
Reply 5
I hope so aswell.
My only chance to definately say I would be able to afford the extra year, would be with a loan or grant.
But the German government is incredibly stingy when it comes to these things, so I kind of doubt it.
I was going to ask if there would be a loan available on Monday, but I really don't think so.
They already say the maximum duration for studies outside of Germany are six semesters or three years... Meh
So I'm hoping someone with actual experience could tell me. I don't really want to waste one of the five choices, but I would really like to do the year in Japan aswell if in any way possible. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending