The Student Room Group

Quitting University

Same question, but with more details as of today:

Basically, university is something that I've wanted to do all my life, and have worked hard in order to go.
I'm now at Uni and I hate it. Only the guys in my flat come out, the girls all stay in their rooms, so our flat can often be very unsociable, and I often feel very isolated as the guys have all grouped up.
One of my best friends is at the same uni, so sometimes I go over to hers, but I end up getting jealous of how lovely the people are in her flat and how friendly they are to each other.
I don't feel I've made friends, my friend is obvously there but I don't want to impose upon her, and the people I tend to go out with are her friends so there always seems to be an element of intusion on my part.
Along with this, I have the worst homesickness, (I never have before so I'm not used to it) and all I do is cry every day because I just want to go home.
Emotionally I don't feel strong enough to cope here, my Grandmother died recently which is another reason why I want to be home with the people who understand properly how I'm feeling.
I generally just feel depressed, lonely and completely out of my depth. I'd like to take a year out to gain life and work experiences, and generally mature enough to enjoy university.

I'm thinking of quitting the Uni that i'm at now, and reapplying via ucas for September 2011 entry; is this a good idea? I can have a back up offer of Reading to fall back on. I am petrified of making the wrong decision as I'm such an indecisive person, and everyone's telling me to leave it a few more days to see how I feel, but if I think this is what's best for me, should I do it?
Loads of students have been in a similar position as you, dont worry!

Dont rush into a decision. Im guessing youve just started uni, its only been a few weeks. It takes time to make good friends with people who sometimes come from very different backgrounds. Have you joined some societies? Join 1/2/3, something that interests you. Atleast you will meet people you have something in common with. Most societies have weekly events and ussualy go out clubbing... etc.

Quitting uni and taking a year out can be good for some people. You shouldnt look at it as a bad thing.
Reply 2
I wouldnt quit
ask to move , your accomodtaion people will be used to people asking for a change, many arent happy at first

i def wouldnt go home because of your granma
your family will have their own issues and ways of handling them i doubt they will be able to help you although they will listen
unfortunately granmas do die and sad as it is , it needs to be faced up to and not run from.

perkup and go and see the halls accom team!
Reply 3
My girlfriend is in the same position. She hates Uni at the moment. Just keep going at it! I'm sure it will be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending