The Student Room Group

Single Honours German

Hi,

My name's Rachel and I'm planning on applying for single honours German at King's College London, UCL, Newcastle, Leeds and Glasgow. After my course I'd ideally like to go into translation but I'm open to other careers that would involve use of German. Recently I've been concerned that with only one foreign language my options in a career involving languages would be limited/non existent but without a higher/advanced higher (basically Scottish A levels) my opportunities for studying a language from beginners level are very limited at UCL/King's (my top two choices). I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what the possibilities there are for a career involving languages with just German or if I would be better to go to Newcastle (if I get an offer) where I could easily pick up another language?

Thank you x.
Reply 1
Translators are always in demand, but with German.. hmmm a lot of Germans speak English! (I know it's annoying, i'm learning German for A2 and i went there to get some real life experience and they all started chatting English!) But i know that they are still needed, for thigns like court cases and immigration issues etc. I think its a pretty cool career to persue, because you could be translating for a court one day and translating for a firm the next.

Good luck with it!

Wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen, fliegen Fliegen Fliegen nach! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending