The Student Room Group

Doing Law at Uni???????

i got my as results and they were bad i dot 3D's and a C but i still want to do law?
does anybody know if i would still be able to do a law degree with these results and if you know any good unis that i could apply to??
the only ones ive found are ones that want AAA predicted grades
do you think i should just do something else at uni or should i repeat yr 13 again next yr???
Reply 1
If you really want to do Law repeat your as levels. Otherwise, do something less academically demanding.
Sorry, you wouldn't be able to do law with grades like that.

If you took easy A-levels and got slightly higher grades this may not help much as many universities do not think much of these and have plenty of applicants who get 3 As or higher from traditional subjects like English Literature, History or Maths for example.

Out of interest, what subjects did you take?
Reply 3
Eh.
The lowest I've seen is BBC, so you may need to retake :/
edit: wrong thread
(edited 13 years ago)
Where are you based ?
I didnt get AMAZING grades, but they were ok so i am currently doing a HNC in legal services and using that entry route!
Reply 6
im in london
Reply 7
Aspiringlawstudent
Sorry, you wouldn't be able to do law with grades like that.

If you took easy A-levels and got slightly higher grades this may not help much as many universities do not think much of these and have plenty of applicants who get 3 As or higher from traditional subjects like English Literature, History or Maths for example.

Out of interest, what subjects did you take?

i am doing chemistry maths and government and politics
taniakhatun
i am doing chemistry maths and government and politics

Are these the subjects you did at AS?

I would expect most Law applicants to really be doing more than one essay subject. All of your subjects are respected, though it would better demonstrate your aptitude for law if you were taking, say, history or English literature.
Reply 9
Aspiringlawstudent
Are these the subjects you did at AS?

I would expect most Law applicants to really be doing more than one essay subject. All of your subjects are respected, though it would better demonstrate your aptitude for law if you were taking, say, history or English literature.

and on what grounds do you base saying he or she should be taking more essay based subjects?

Any academic based subject whether its a math or a science or a essay based subject are more than desirable for Law. Law is an essay based subject yet some unis do not like their students doing a Law a level...
Reply 10
taniakhatun
i got my as results and they were bad i dot 3D's and a C but i still want to do law?
does anybody know if i would still be able to do a law degree with these results and if you know any good unis that i could apply to??
the only ones ive found are ones that want AAA predicted grades
do you think i should just do something else at uni or should i repeat yr 13 again next yr???

you could apply ( expect to be rejected) then that gives you the option of clearing as I think you need to apply to be elligable to clearing. there are sometimes good unis in clearing; however, you will still need to hit the AAA grades 9 times out of 10

I ended up with CDUU in my first year and so I am not 2 dis-similar to you, I have average gcses 2a 7b c. I worked hard got AAB in my 2nd year then applied whilst doing 2 more a levels in the year to get to the 3A boundary.

I was turned down by LSe and UCL unsurprisingly but I got uncons from southampton, QM and sussex (safe bet) so it shows you can get into decent unis even with a poor first year. I personally would not bother applying. You do not need to re-take your first year but you will certainly need to re-take many tests. What you really need to ask yourself i why did you get relatively poor results. Did you not put any work in? Did you put work in but being quite frank are not academic enough? If it is the latter then realisitcally studying law may be a step to far. If it is the former then certainly apply yourself next year and make sure you get AAA which nowadays seems to be a minimum. What you must also consider is A levels are a breeze in comparison to the work you do on a Law degree, I have just started my first year and I already feel massively behind and I have done a fair amount of work. If your a person that finds it hard to work inderpendantly and to revise then I must highlight that law again probably is not the right subject for you.

Only you know what your capable of and I am in no way trying to suggest or imply that Law is not right for you, I am merely trying to advise :smile:
Reply 11
I know Uni of Essex asks for AAB but my friend got in with A2 levels that like CCD I think...thats why its one of my choices as its a safe bet Lol

Latest

Trending

Trending