The Student Room Group

Kicked out of uni, legal issue?

Right
2 years ago I attended the university I am at now, I failed my course and left, decided to work for a year. I decided to apply again to a variety of uni's including the one I had attended previously. Through an error I did not put in my ucas application that I had attended the university 2 years prior. Though I emailed the admissions tutor before I recieved an offer, detailing this, and he emailed me back saying it was ok.
I received my offer and moved down to the university last week, I enrolled on my course and everything was fine, until on monday I recieved an email stating that I am being withdrawn from the course, for failing to put on my Ucas application that I had attended the university before. I have spoken to the sub dean and she has said that as I left the information out of my ucas application, even though I emailed the admissions officer, the decision to withdraw me has been confirmed.
I just spoke to Ucas and they have said that they are not sure what they can do but will get back to me if there is anything they can do.
Where do I go from here?
Reply 1
Get the evidence for the email acceptance of your mistake and get a lawyer, before you do that though, wait on UCAS.

:dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Well that's awful.

Sorry that's happened, but wait for UCAS, and make sure you keep that email.
Reply 3
Wait on UCAS to see what they can do, if anything, and show the dean the email you received which allowed you to attend. This university seems to have serious communication issues.
oh dear ,

by lying on the UCAS form you have drawn your honesty and integrity into question, so it;s perhaps unsuprising that your soon to be ex -HEI doesn't want you

at leasyt you aren't being sued for the financial support ...

as for those saying get lawyered up and prepare for a fight , if you can find a lawyer daft enough to take it on

by all means book an appointment with a solictor and take ALL the relevant documentation - they will tell you if you have a cat in hell's chance of getting the decision changed.

after all YOU have breached the contract with the HEI and UCAS...
Reply 5
Get copies of that email and wait on UCAS.
Technically, you are the one in breach so I doubt you'd get the legal support required to take them on.
Reply 6
zippyRN
oh dear ,

by lying on the UCAS form you have drawn your honesty and integrity into question, so it;s perhaps unsuprising that your soon to be ex -HEI doesn't want you

at leasyt you aren't being sued for the financial support ...

as for those saying get lawyered up and prepare for a fight , if you can find a lawyer daft enough to take it on

by all means book an appointment with a solictor and take ALL the relevant documentation - they will tell you if you have a cat in hell's chance of getting the decision changed.

after all YOU have breached the contract with the HEI and UCAS...

Not that clear cut. The admissions tutor was aware of this and gave him the all clear.
Trouble is, the email may not do you any good. It's entirely possible that the person sending that email misunderstood or was mistaken when they said it would be OK (which it clearly wasn't), so whilst it's unfortunate, it's not grounds to allow you to continue.
Reply 8
If Ucas can't do anything is there another independent body that I would be able to go to?
I've tried Office of the independent adjudicators but they don't deal with admissions/readmissions complaints

Latest

Trending

Trending