The Student Room Group

"A 2:2 in Science is preffered or equal to a 2:1 in Social Sciences or Arts Subjects"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I got a 2ii in Biomedical Science. Does that mean I'm dumb? :ninja:
littleshambles
... not really. seeing as i get to party all night and never do anything difficult why would i be complaining?

just so you know science degrees at cambridge result in BAs.

not necessarily... it means you have to sit around in labs ******* around with chemicals all day.

WRONG

gosh yes because that's what undergrad is about isn't it? having a set of "things" to learn and then someone to provide you with that set of "things". it's not about comparison or synthesis or independent thought or anything. how LUDICROUS.

awww, thanks.

just because something takes more time doesn't mean it is more difficult per se.

not necessarily... it means you have to sit around in labs ******* around with chemicals all day.

You really don't have a clue what a science degree requires of you? You also make the idiotic mistake of thinking that labs are easy and that they are not hard and extremely time consuming.

gosh yes because that's what undergrad is about isn't it? having a set of "things" to learn and then someone to provide you with that set of "things". it's not about comparison or synthesis or independent thought or anything. how LUDICROUS.

Or they give you the basic run down as 20 lectures per topic every term is only enough to cover the basics and give a brief over view rather then just reading a book a noting some guys opinion.
Caspa
nice elitist way off putting it, so your turning around a saying that students at other unis are lazy no matter what they get

The standard of work is nowhere near Oxbridge. A 2.1 from a good uni is mediocre; it puts you in the top 60%, in the top whatever %. Nearly all of these students aren't good enough for Oxbridge in the first place.

At most unis, if you're reasonably bright and work fairly hard, you'll get a first. That's just not so at Oxbridge; you can't beat the system by problem sheet and past paper learning, or note regurgitation.

If people flunk at Oxbridge and then cruise to a 1st at another Top 6 uni, that says it plain and simple.

Also, STEP and AEA papers are harder intellectually than the material at these so called good unis; you actually have to think and be creative, not parrot off problem sheets.

Bubblyjubbly is right. Compare the exam papers; gulfs apart.
(edited 13 years ago)
goodmen
If people honestly believe a math degree from oxbridge at 2:2 isn't worth more than practically every social science degree else where they are seriously deluded.

I sometimes feel like University was invented so that people who can't succeed for years in school exams, go to uni and get a 2.1, but keep quiet about the difficulty and go to great lengths to hide it. It's like their dirty little secret.

Of course, the uni itself and the government jump on board this charade too; the propoganda saying the uni is great and good calibre, how important higher education is, blaaah blaaah.
aquaporin
I got a 2ii in Biomedical Science. Does that mean I'm dumb? :ninja:

I would say it means you got between 50 and 60 % in your degree. Anything else just relies on making numerous assumptions.

Maybe you walked in 'cold' (didn't go to 1 lecture or did ANYTHING) and got that. Maybe someone chopped your limbs off before the exams.

If you're dumb, you'd have already known that.
Reply 85
Physics Enemy
The standard of work is nowhere near Oxbridge. A 2.1 from a good uni is mediocre; it puts you in the top 60%, in the top whatever %. Nearly all of these students aren't good enough for Oxbridge in the first place.

At most unis, if you're reasonably bright and work fairly hard, you'll get a first. That's just not so at Oxbridge; you can't beat the system by problem sheet and past paper learning, or note regurgitation.

If people flunk at Oxbridge and then cruise to a 1st at another Top 6 uni, that says it plain and simple.

Also, STEP and AEA papers are harder intellectually than the material at these so called good unis; you actually have to think and be creative, not parrot off problem sheets.

Bubblyjubbly is right. Compare the exam papers; gulfs apart.

yeh getting a first dosn't work like that all the time, sure you work hard you will hit about the 67, 69% mark, its not plain and simple printing the wrong picture for people

exams a different no matter what uni, and different weighting between exam and coursework

lets forget about courses like medicine
Reply 86
So, are people just really desperate to find something they can grab onto to prove their supposed worth over other people? It's the only reason I can think these threads keep happening, it's all just a big dick-waving competition.
Sorani
So, are people just really desperate to find something they can grab onto to prove their supposed worth over other people? It's the only reason I can think these threads keep happening, it's all just a big dick-waving competition.

They are, thankfully I haven't been in rat-race mode for a very long time now, so I don't really care. The concept of comparing two different degrees from two different unis under two very different sets of backgrounds and circumstances, is so retarded I can't even describe. I couldn't care less what an employer thinks either.
I've heard from people on TSR that it's easier to get a 1st in a science than a social science because social science is based upon interpretation, whereas the other subjects have right answers. This isn't my opinion, just something I read on here a while ago, no idea if it's true or not though.
Sorani

An excellent point :yep:
Reply 90
A 2.1 is preferred by employers over a 2.2 regardless of subject(unless its something ridiculously easy) in just about all cases. Most major firms automatically close doors to people with 2.2s, regardless of whether it was in Maths or History.
ish90an
A 2.1 is preferred by employers over a 2.2 regardless of subject(unless its something ridiculously easy) in just about all cases. Most major firms automatically close doors to people with 2.2s, regardless of whether it was in Maths or History.

Yes that's the problem.
Bubblyjubbly
Yes, Physics Enemy, that is just one of the problems. I knew of a number of EXTREMELY bright and hard working Natscis of the Physics variety whilct at Cambridge, they got 2.2s and good jobs, but it's a kick in the teeth having to explain that to employers, which they ultimately know, but feel they should, at the first glance, ignore.

Quite a joke really, funny how these 2.1ers at 'good' unis always did worse at school up to the age of 18/19, can't hack STEP/AEA papers, all on a standardised national system that everyone takes. :rolleyes:

The papers at Cam are far harder. Then again, Mathmos/Physicists at Cam would be wasting their talent by joining a dull firm taking in Grads from general redbricks. If I had that talent, I'd really want to do something with it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
Jimbo1234
Yes, BA's in science subjects are far easier, hence the BA...:facepalm:

Quick Oxford Physics graduates. Throw your BAs into the bin!!!!!!!
River85
Quick Oxford Physics graduates. Throw your BAs into the bin!!!!!!!

And why does Oxford offer BA's rather then BSc's? Now how many uni's do you think also go by this idea.........*clap*
Jimbo1234
And why does Oxford offer BA's rather then BSc's? Now how many uni's do you think also go by this idea.........*clap*

Maybe because they view it as an art form; creative, imaginative, outside the box, etc. Which I believe it should be. The dude on 'A Beautiful Mind' talked about this at the end.

Unfortunately, at other generic unis, they make said subjects as dull, methodical and parrot-like as possible, hence the BSc.
So many idiots on here.
Many of whom are giving advice and don't even attend university!

Basically the answer to your question is no.
However in some cases it may hold true (i.e. as mentioned in the first reply: if your preferred job/next role is related to science!).

A 2.2 is just commonly recognised as failing to hit the benchmark (2.1).
Reply 97
If you get a 2.2 you probably wont get a good graduate job, you need to meet the MINIMUM requirements. It doesn't matter if you get a 2.1 or 1st though, most will ignore that.

Too many people in here who think going to Oxford or Cambridge is going to set them up for life. You do realise that you need to do other things than have Oxbridge on your CV? A degree from there alone will get you nothing. Now get off your inflated egos and do some work so you don't end up with a sh!tty 2.2 or 3rd.
Physics Enemy
Maybe because they view it as an art form; creative, imaginative, outside the box, etc. Which I believe it should be. The dude on 'A Beautiful Mind' talked about this at the end.

Unfortunately, at other generic unis, they make said subjects as dull, methodical and parrot-like as possible, hence the BSc.

Or it is tradition and Oxford has been doing it for decades. To view it as an art form is a little stupid as all arts have science behind them, thus science is at the core of everything. There is also no point in letting people have room for imagination unless they are the very best and have been taught the subject eg. the best post-grad's in the world.
Jimbo1234
Or it is tradition and Oxford has been doing it for decades.

... Because for decades they view it as an art form. Do they call engineering degrees BAs? ...

Jimbo1234
To view it as an art form is a little stupid as all arts have science behind them, thus science is at the core of everything.

Maths is built on axioms, which are man made; this points to 'Art'. Many subjects are built on Maths and/or observation; Maths = Art, Observation = Art. Putting it into a practical context and doing the methodical stuff is the science bit (dull and uncreative IMO)

Jimbo1234
There is also no point in letting people have room for imagination unless they are the very best and have been taught the subject eg. the best post-grad's in the world.

This is a weird paraphrase. You're saying there's no point in improving and encouraging aptitude and creativity, unless they're the best? Well ... it's akin to saying teachers not bother with C graders as you're beating a dead horse. To some extent I agree.

Then again, if the aim is to churn out graduates who methodically work, do as they're told, follow a script with little input (as is the case with a lot of employment), I sort of agree. The art-form wouldn't be necessary and may be a waste of time if you're beating a dead horse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending