Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Is Aston University Good?

Is Aston Uni A Good Uni? Want Honest Opinions Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course? I go to Aston and think it has its good and bad points.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
hannah_dru
What course? I go to Aston and think it has its good and bad points.

Thanks for the reply :biggrin:

I dont specifically know which course but maybe one of the following:
Accounting/Finance
Business & Management
German
Economics & Management

I study Economics, Maths, German and English Language at A Level
Any other suggestions? ie Any courses related to these subjects that you know of, that are available at Aston?
Thanks in Advance :biggrin:
Reply 3
JakeE10
Thanks for the reply :biggrin:

I dont specifically know which course but maybe one of the following:
Accounting/Finance
Business & Management
German
Economics & Management

I study Economics, Maths, German and English Language at A Level
Any other suggestions? ie Any courses related to these subjects that you know of, that are available at Aston?
Thanks in Advance :biggrin:

Aston is pretty well known for the Business School which has a very good reputation. Can't really help with that cos I do German and Translation but there are quite a few people in the Aston forum who do the other courses you mentioned.

I know they do a lot of combinations of subjects so you'd probably find you could do one of your subjects either on its own or combine it with another one if you wanted to. Have seen courses like German and Business/Maths/English for example.
Reply 4
hannah_dru
Aston is pretty well known for the Business School which has a very good reputation. Can't really help with that cos I do German and Translation but there are quite a few people in the Aston forum who do the other courses you mentioned.

I know they do a lot of combinations of subjects so you'd probably find you could do one of your subjects either on its own or combine it with another one if you wanted to. Have seen courses like German and Business/Maths/English for example.

Thanks a lot, i have posted a new thread similar to this one on that specific forum that you gave me :biggrin: thanks also for your advice!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
JakeE10
Thanks a lot, i have posted a new thread similar to this one on that specific forum that you gave me :biggrin: thanks also for your advice!! :biggrin:

You're welcome :smile: If you can get to visit the uni at some point that might help as well to see what you make of it and to get the chance to talk to staff.
Reply 6
hannah_dru
You're welcome :smile: If you can get to visit the uni at some point that might help as well to see what you make of it and to get the chance to talk to staff.

yeah that would be good :biggrin: i will look into it...
what course do you study??? and what A Levels did you do? what results did you get?
Reply 7
JakeE10
yeah that would be good :biggrin: i will look into it...
what course do you study??? and what A Levels did you do? what results did you get?

I do German and Translation Studies and did German, Media Studies and Theatre Studies at A-Level. I got ABB.
Reply 8
hannah_dru
I do German and Translation Studies and did German, Media Studies and Theatre Studies at A-Level. I got ABB.

Well done thats really good!! :biggrin: what Did you get in German at A Level? and what at GCSE?

I Got An A at GCSE (just missed out on an A*, which i was i was predicted and what i was expecting/aiming for)
Can you predict from this the sort of grade i should be aiming for at A Level? or not? thanks :biggrin:
Reply 9
JakeE10
Well done thats really good!! :biggrin: what Did you get in German at A Level? and what at GCSE?

I Got An A at GCSE (just missed out on an A*, which i was i was predicted and what i was expecting/aiming for)
Can you predict from this the sort of grade i should be aiming for at A Level? or not? thanks :biggrin:

It's hard to say really cos A-Level German is totally different. I was aiming for a B upwards but I know some people who got A's and A*'s at GCSE who found it really tough. I think if you're good at it and enjoy it then a C or above is good to go for.
Reply 10
The business school is very good and overall teaching and facilities etc are very good too. But I like Aston because it is right in the centre of Birmingham and is all on campus.

I think it is a very good university.
Reply 11
It has a highly reputable business school so you might get credit from future employers :smile:
Reply 12
Ah really good!! that's amazing.
Yes, i do, i really enjoy learning German it's my favourite subject! And, i have family in Switzerland so its really useful to me! I am aiming for a B in German at A Level (as a personal target) I'd do anything to get an A in A Level German! Thats Great! :biggrin:
I Would think of going into a German Degree..
what types of careers can a German degree lead to?
how did you do in your other GCSEs? i just got my Results in the Summer, i under-achieved mainly because i didn't take them serious enough and lack of revision.
How good would you say you are now at German?? And are you on your way to becoming fluent?
Thanks
Reply 13
hannah_dru
It's hard to say really cos A-Level German is totally different. I was aiming for a B upwards but I know some people who got A's and A*'s at GCSE who found it really tough. I think if you're good at it and enjoy it then a C or above is good to go for.

Yes, i do, i really enjoy learning German it's my favourite subject! And, i have family in Switzerland so its really useful to me! I am aiming for a B in German at A Level (as a personal target) I'd do anything to get an A in A Level German! Thats Great!
how did you do in your other GCSEs? i just got my Results in the Summer, i under-achieved mainly because i didn't take them serious enough and lack of revision.
How good would you say you are now at German?? And are you on your way to becoming fluent?
Thanks
Reply 14
Jeffy91
The business school is very good and overall teaching and facilities etc are very good too. But I like Aston because it is right in the centre of Birmingham and is all on campus.

I think it is a very good university.

Thanks a lot for the info :biggrin:
JakeE10
Yes, i do, i really enjoy learning German it's my favourite subject! And, i have family in Switzerland so its really useful to me! I am aiming for a B in German at A Level (as a personal target) I'd do anything to get an A in A Level German! Thats Great!
Thanks

That's so cool that you've got family in Switzerland. Would love to go and visit there.

I think you can do quite a lot with German. I had a sheet at home with over 50 jobs on it. Can think of things like translation/interpreting, teaching, working for the EU, working abroad in general, marketing, travel agent, flight attendant.

I think I got 5 A's, 2 B's and 3 C's for GCSE (some were double award). Had to sit and think about it cos it was so long ago! GCSE's aren't so important though IMO, it seems like uni's are more bothered about A-Level.

I'd say I'm fairly fluent now tbh. My friends told me in the pub today that I'm probably the most fluent person in our year apart from those with relatives in Germany which was quite nice!
Reply 16
hannah_dru
That's so cool that you've got family in Switzerland. Would love to go and visit there.

I think you can do quite a lot with German. I had a sheet at home with over 50 jobs on it. Can think of things like translation/interpreting, teaching, working for the EU, working abroad in general, marketing, travel agent, flight attendant.

I think I got 5 A's, 2 B's and 3 C's for GCSE (some were double award). Had to sit and think about it cos it was so long ago! GCSE's aren't so important though IMO, it seems like uni's are more bothered about A-Level.

I'd say I'm fairly fluent now tbh. My friends told me in the pub today that I'm probably the most fluent person in our year apart from those with relatives in Germany which was quite nice!

Yes, its very nice! i go there for christmas all of the time.
Ah really, more than i thought!! :biggrin:
Yeah i got similar to that...
4 A's, 4 B's and 2 C's
and oh my god, really?! That just shows it doesnt take that long if you put the work in!! We're just nailing the grammar at the moment.. i take it you have mastered all of that stuff now.. its quite tricky at the beginning i find? is that the same with you? Like the cases, prepositions etc..
Can't wait to become fluent in german!!!!!!! :biggrin:
JakeE10
Yes, its very nice! i go there for christmas all of the time.
Ah really, more than i thought!! :biggrin:
Yeah i got similar to that...
4 A's, 4 B's and 2 C's
and oh my god, really?! That just shows it doesnt take that long if you put the work in!! We're just nailing the grammar at the moment.. i take it you have mastered all of that stuff now.. its quite tricky at the beginning i find? is that the same with you? Like the cases, prepositions etc..
Can't wait to become fluent in german!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Lol I dunno, I think 8-9 years is quite a long time! I've got dialect to learn next.
I still make grammar mistakes and some of it I find hard but mostly I found it ok.
The best thing is being able to have proper conversations with people and not having to use subtitles on films :biggrin:

Saw you sent me a PM. Do you wanna switch to there? I don't mind.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
hannah_dru
Lol I dunno, I think 8-9 years is quite a long time! I've got dialect to learn next.
I still make grammar mistakes and some of it I find hard but mostly I found it ok.
The best thing is being able to have proper conversations with people and not having to use subtitles on films :biggrin:

Saw you sent me a PM. Do you wanna switch to there? I don't mind.

i suppose you have been learning it for a while, but then again, if you were living in germany then it wouldnt take half the time!! you would pick it up so much quicker...
would you say you progessed quite a lot over the 2 years you studied it at A Level?
just found this thread, i'm at aston! Difficult to judge a uni after just 3 weeks (3 weeks of flu!) but the staff are friendly and quality of teaching at English is impressive.

The building however is a complete maze and you WILL get lost very easily :rolleyes: but the student guild run all sorts of clubnights etc as well as sport clubs and societies which are great fun :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest