The Student Room Group

Does this degree seem marketable?

I was accepted into a Masters of Environmental Studies at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Great school with great name, but I am wondering if the program I was accepted into would be worth the time and money. I was thinking about concentrating in Environmental Policy and Planning.

Courses:

Modeling Geographic Objects - GIS Spatial Analysis

Environmental Law

Physical Geology for Environmental Professionals

Introduction to Hydrology

Aqueous Geochemistry

How to Quantify Sustainable Practices in Business and Manufacturing

Current EPA Regulatory Practices and Future Directions

Sustainable Design

So you have science, law and policy all wrapped into one interdisciplinary program.

Is it marketable? I was thinking about adding a GIS Specialization certificate too.

The program is going to cost an arm and leg so I was wondering if it's worth the investment.

Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
TimeDivided09
I was accepted into a Masters of Environmental Studies at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Great school with great name, but I am wondering if the program I was accepted into would be worth the time and money. I was thinking about concentrating in Environmental Policy and Planning.

Courses:

Modeling Geographic Objects - GIS Spatial Analysis

Environmental Law

Physical Geology for Environmental Professionals

Introduction to Hydrology

Aqueous Geochemistry

How to Quantify Sustainable Practices in Business and Manufacturing

Current EPA Regulatory Practices and Future Directions

Sustainable Design

So you have science, law and policy all wrapped into one interdisciplinary program.

Is it marketable? I was thinking about adding a GIS Specialization certificate too.

The program is going to cost an arm and leg so I was wondering if it's worth the investment.

Thanks

Absolutely. Make sure to try and do some interesting eco-co-curriculars (for example, the people involved with organizing Brown's emPOWER have gotten loads of good career opportunities), and try to find some good internships. :smile: It should be possible, just be focused.

(And a good majority of posters here will probably think that your subject, and your degree, will be incredibly dossier. It's not, at all!).
Reply 2
Excellent. I've heard of Brown emPower. They do great work.

UPenn has the Philadelphia Global Water Initiative among other things.

If I decide to join I was going to make the most out of networking too.

Thanks for the info.

On a side note, what does "incredibly dossier" mean?
TimeDivided09
Excellent. I've heard of Brown emPower. They do great work.

UPenn has the Philadelphia Global Water Initiative among other things.

If I decide to join I was going to make the most out of networking too.

Thanks for the info.

On a side note, what does "incredibly dossier" mean?

Yes, emPower has an amazing budget, and motivated individuals (I plan to work with them next year, I've got too much work to do anything with them now (I have been a climate activist for two years before coming here)).

UPenn has amazing networking, and if you plan to work in the US, I highly recommend going there.

I actually meant doss. Oh, America is making me use European English expressions incorrectly. :frown:
Reply 4
doss?
TimeDivided09
doss?

Like, 'a joke.' Haha, sorry. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending