The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Medical Genetics

Does anyone know anything about it? Is it as good as the league tables say and why?

Scroll to see replies

mac32
Does anyone know anything about it? Is it as good as the league tables say and why?

I do biochemistry, which has the same first year as medical genetics -- the course is good, and I really like the department! Everyone is so friendly :h: Its supposed to have a pretty good reputation though, and there appears to be a lot of research going on in MBB (the department) so it can't be too bad
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
raceforthefishman
I do biochemistry, which has the same first year as medical genetics -- the course is good, and I really like the department! Everyone is so friendly :h: Its supposed to have a pretty good reputation though, and there appears to be a lot of research going on in MBB (the department) so it can't be too bad

Thank you for your reply!
I know that the first year is the same for all the department, although I am not sure if this is good. But I guess it is introductory material that must be common knowledge for everyone. Do you know anything about the subsequent years of medical genetics course though? Or anyone else? I am interested in that particular course. Thanks again for your help :rolleyes:
mac32
Thank you for your reply!
I know that the first year is the same for all the department, although I am not sure if this is good. But I guess it is introductory material that must be common knowledge for everyone. Do you know anything about the subsequent years of medical genetics course though? Or anyone else? I am interested in that particular course. Thanks again for your help :rolleyes:

I really enjoy the common first year (its why I picked sheffield) so you keep the ability to swap courses...like I've found through being able to study genetics and microbiology as well that, really, I think I prefer them to biochemistry...

As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong but im 98% sure) you still follow the same course structure as everyone else on medical genetics...just your compulsory modules will be slightly different to say mine would be doing biochemistry

I don't really! What exactly do you want to know?? Have you had a mosey around the website and everything?

:h:
Reply 4
raceforthefishman
I really enjoy the common first year (its why I picked sheffield) so you keep the ability to swap courses...like I've found through being able to study genetics and microbiology as well that, really, I think I prefer them to biochemistry...

As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong but im 98% sure) you still follow the same course structure as everyone else on medical genetics...just your compulsory modules will be slightly different to say mine would be doing biochemistry

I don't really! What exactly do you want to know?? Have you had a mosey around the website and everything?

:h:

Thanks again for the information. I have read everything on the departmental website but I wanted to know more about labs and practicals and if after graduation from the course you are really well-equipped to use the different research methods and also if you have the opportunity/are allowed to participate in the research the university is doing.
Hey :smile:

I've put down medical genetics at Sheffield, haven't heard anything from them yet so getting a bit worried :/
Reply 6
Original post by ChelseaDaggers
Hey :smile:

I've put down medical genetics at Sheffield, haven't heard anything from them yet so getting a bit worried :/

It's my 5th choice too :smile:
Did you go to an open day?
Original post by mac32
It's my 5th choice too :smile:
Did you go to an open day?

I went to the open day to look at Medicine and loved the uni but didn't score high enough on my UKCAT to get onto their medical course so I thought I'd find another course there as my 5th back up :smile:

where else have you applied?
Reply 8
I went to the open day to look at Medicine and loved the uni but didn't score high enough on my UKCAT to get onto their medical course so I thought I'd find another course there as my 5th back up :smile:

where else have you applied?

Keele :angry: , Aberdeen, Liverpool and Birmingham. What about you?
Hey guys -- go to Sheffield

Do it

/conscience over
Reply 10
Original post by raceforthefishman
Hey guys -- go to Sheffield

Do it

/conscience over

Are you my competition for any of the above places? :tongue:
Original post by mac32

Original post by mac32
Are you my competition for any of the above places? :tongue:

No, I go to sheffield :h:
Reply 12
No, I go to sheffield :h:

Then we can talk :tongue:

What do you think of Sheffield? I read about the city and loved it. Also the courses seems nice and interesting but that's all I know :smile:
Original post by mac32

Original post by mac32
Then we can talk :tongue:

What do you think of Sheffield? I read about the city and loved it. Also the courses seems nice and interesting but that's all I know :smile:

Haha, I spoke to you at the top of this thread! Sheffield is nice, I like it :h:
Reply 14
Haha, I spoke to you at the top of this thread! Sheffield is nice, I like it :h:

How stupid can I be? I apologize, I had a very difficult day
:hat2:
Original post by mac32
Keele :angry: , Aberdeen, Liverpool and Birmingham. What about you?

Why not so happy with Keele?

Birmingham is good, I'm from Brum (Y)

I've applied to oxford, cardiff, leeds and bristol :smile:
Reply 16
Why not so happy with Keele?

Birmingham is good, I'm from Brum (Y)

I've applied to oxford, cardiff, leeds and bristol :smile:

My problem with Keele is that there have been 2700 applications for 130 places. The ratio is lower than Oxbridge :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by mac32
My problem with Keele is that there have been 2700 applications for 130 places. The ratio is lower than Oxbridge :frown:

Given that Keele is 24/30 in the Guardian University League Table for Medicine, and Oxford is at the top, you can be sure that despite the lower ratio, it'll be easier to get into Keele...

Gotta consider the quality of the applicants as well as the quantity lol
Reply 18
Original post by HJay
Given that Keele is 24/30 in the Guardian University League Table for Medicine, and Oxford is at the top, you can be sure that despite the lower ratio, it'll be easier to get into Keele...

Gotta consider the quality of the applicants as well as the quantity lol

I think the vast majority of medicine applicants have excellent predictions/grades, very nice PS, extracurriculars, work experience and generally a very strong application. Moreover, since each of us makes 4 choices, many people who have chosen Oxford or any other "top" school will have chosen Keele also. So this is not as simple as you imply. And in the end, chances are chances. However strange it might be, it is harder to get to Keele than Oxbridge.
Reply 19
Original post by mac32
I think the vast majority of medicine applicants have excellent predictions/grades, very nice PS, extracurriculars, work experience and generally a very strong application. Moreover, since each of us makes 4 choices, many people who have chosen Oxford or any other "top" school will have chosen Keele also. So this is not as simple as you imply. And in the end, chances are chances. However strange it might be, it is harder to get to Keele than Oxbridge.

Are you serious? Where are you getting that from??
If you've got any evidence to back that up, I'd love to see it! lol

Given that there are 30 medicine universities in the UK, and that most applicants would apply to the reputable ones like the London Universities, Edinburgh, St Andrew's, etc..
Keele is relatively lower down, and would have less applications, and it would be more of a back up for most people.

So I guess you'd have to define 'harder'- more academically difficult/challenging? No, definitely not. More applicants per place? Debatable, but the ones who put Keele down as their firm or back up choice would in general have a lower academic profile than Oxbridge applicants, so the same person who applied to Oxbridge who also applied to Keele would find it a lot easier to get into the latter.

Sorry for the essay-esque response. I was just too shocked at your bold statement :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending