The Student Room Group

25% of Junior Doctors Leave

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
is it not a bit like most things? You start off on a low wage and then you work your way up. that's how it is in the real world, but a lot of people's starting salaries are WAY below 22k. Whether it's a fair wage or not is something I can't comment on because I have never trained or been in the position of a doctor. I also have no idea about working hours etc. A base salary is what you start at before working your way up the ladder to a better salary, that's the way life goes on the whole! My last job (and yes it was a shockingly **** job) was a base salary of 12k. Admittedly I hadn't done any studying or anything to get into that job, but that is the whoel reason why people who have done training get a higher starting salary, because they are worth the money from their skills.
Reply 81
Original post by Renal
Mate, when you're looking after some horribly sick people - and loosing - with ****ty senior support and being told you're a **** by everyone you meet, a £6/hour is pretty poor compensation.

You try reassuring a demented old lady that the nurses aren't trying to kill her.
You try putting a venflon into a chemo punter in the dark.
You try asking someone if they ever thought about whether they'd to die with their ribs broken and a bit of PVC down their throat.
You try telling someone that they're going to die and that there's nothing that can be done about it.
You try telling someone that their mum or dad is dead.
You try telling someone desperate to hear that their loved one is going to be okay that you're just not sure.
You try jumping up and down on a kids chest just so you can tell mum and dad that you did everything you could.
You try doing that at the same time.
You come back and tell me that minimum wage is what you want to earn for that.
**** right off.

this.

The reality is that being a doctor involves spending your time around sick, suffering and dying patients and their mourning & worried families. It's emotionally and physically draining to constantly be surrounded by people suffering, especially when there is nothing you can do about it.

The reality is that many many people apply for medicine for the wrong reasons. These people usually end up being **** doctors because they lack the people-skills.

I believe that ALL medicine applicants should have to undertake mandatory hospital volunteer work for at least a few months before applying.
Original post by Kinkerz
Aren't you a treat. A misinformed treat, in fact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-395095/It-cost-NHS-1m-train-So-jobs.html

That the figure is half of what I said hardly detracts from the validity of my point.
Reply 83
Original post by alibobs
is it not a bit like most things? You start off on a low wage and then you work your way up. that's how it is in the real world, but a lot of people's starting salaries are WAY below 22k. Whether it's a fair wage or not is something I can't comment on because I have never trained or been in the position of a doctor. I also have no idea about working hours etc. A base salary is what you start at before working your way up the ladder to a better salary, that's the way life goes on the whole! My last job (and yes it was a shockingly **** job) was a base salary of 12k. Admittedly I hadn't done any studying or anything to get into that job, but that is the whoel reason why people who have done training get a higher starting salary, because they are worth the money from their skills.

Thank you very much for your insight. Awe inspiring.
Reply 84
Original post by tomheppy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-395095/It-cost-NHS-1m-train-So-jobs.html

That the figure is half of what I said hardly detracts from the validity of my point.

I'm truly shocked you referenced that paper to back up your views...
Reply 85
Original post by Kinkerz

I've come to the conclusion that he must be trolling...
Reply 86
Original post by Kinkerz

I've come to the conclusion that he must be trolling...
Reply 87
Original post by Kinkerz

Well the link he used was one of the rare Mail articles in favour of doctors. Strangely enough it was an article about how juniors are/were getting ****ed over. And the comments (again rare) describe doctors as underpaid and hardworking! What even was his point anyway again?
Reply 88
Original post by Organ
Well the link he used was one of the rare Mail articles in favour of doctors. Strangely enough it was an article about how juniors are/were getting ****ed over. And the comments (again rare) describe doctors as underpaid and hardworking! What even was his point anyway again?

It was sarcasm. My comment was more geared towards his seeming intolerance than the merits of the article.
7.5%-10% of these people are internationals....who cant stay here after there foundation years.After this only 15% are left..which is not a very big number. :smile:
Original post by Kinkerz
It was sarcasm. My comment was more geared towards his seeming intolerance than the merits of the article.

Intolerance of what?
Reply 91
Original post by tomheppy
Intolerance of what?

Doctors being allowed to be unhappy about their salary.
I don't give a crap how much I earn in the future (and I'm not from some rich family). All I care about is that I have fun doing the job that I'll probably be doing for the next 60 yrs of my life. I can easily live off £30000 a year, and even that as a starting salary is pretty large.
Reply 93
Dentists 1 - 0 Medics
Reply 94
Original post by Kinkerz
Thank you very much for your insight. Awe inspiring.

Ooooh I love a bit of sarcasm on a Saturday. Other that that, is my point not a valid one all said and done
Honestly though, I don't think people on here live in the real world half the time. 22k is not a bad salary. At all. It's by no means the highest salary in the world I know, and in the scheme of things it is on the low side of salaries but there are plenty of people who live on it. In fact plenty of people live on less (admittedly with a partner), raising families and paying mortgages etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by alibobs
Ooooh I love a bit of sarcasm on a Saturday. Other that that, is my point not a valid one all said and done
Honestly though, I don't think people on here live in the real world half the time. 22k is not a bad salary. At all. It's by no means the highest salary in the world I know, and in the scheme of things it is on the low side of salaries but there are plenty of people who live on it. In fact plenty of people live on less (admittedly with a partner), raising families and paying mortgages etc.

Most people haven't got top grades at school and embarked on an intensive five or six year degree :awesome:
Reply 96
No I know that. I'm saying that as a starting salary it is higher than most people's because they have done the 5 or 6 year degree. There are precious few jobs you can start at a salary like that without doing the degree first. As a starting salary, it's good
Original post by Ninat
I believe that ALL medicine applicants should have to undertake mandatory hospital volunteer work for at least a few months before applying.

If you're a graduate applicant (am talking here for the 4 year course mainly) voluntary work is pretty much a requirement of any course. Leicester want a year's PAID experience before you can even apply! There were paramedics sitting GAMSAT when I did mine and I met someone who flies for RAF Search and Rescue at one of the open days, that's the sort of work experience people have before going back to university, not shadowing your best friend's dad for 2 weeks. It's no wonder that you can only study Medicine in the US as a graduate...

I guess if you're under 18 though it's harder to do because of not technically being an adult etc. Interestingly my voluntary work coordinator said the most common reason for losing volunteers is that they never realised how ill people could get.

Also the NHS graduate management scheme pays the same - £22K in the two 'training' years.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alibobs
No I know that. I'm saying that as a starting salary it is higher than most people's because they have done the 5 or 6 year degree. There are precious few jobs you can start at a salary like that without doing the degree first. As a starting salary, it's good

compared to the quantity of work you do comparatively though i find that hard to believe.
Reply 99
Find it hard to believe that it's a good starting salary in general or that it's a salary that matches the amount of work you put in? It is a good starting salary, I have never trained in it nor do I know anyone who does, so you may well have a good point there.
I guess it depends how quickly you advance through the salary increments too. If you only have to spend a year or two on that grade before oyu move up, I don't think I would be that bothered by it if it was me. If I was stuck on that for another 5/6 years, then yeah, it probably isn't so great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending