The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to fail :cry:
Psychology is good but my teachers tend to go off topic a lot or teach very slowly. French is great, struggling a bit with one of the topics though. English Lit is meh.
Reply 22
Maths - Easy
Chemistry - Easy enough
Physics - This module's easy enough (from looking through the text book) but the teacher's useless. I'm not worried about him wrecking everything, but it just makes me so angry how someone that stupid can get into teaching.
History - Good enough, although we're doing Germany now, which we also did for GCSE, so it's a bit boring at times.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
I think taking 4 A2 subjects has sent me a little out of my depth :p: .. Time to knuckle down and start getting everything in order soon me thinks :yep:
Reply 24
Biology - boring as it is basicly chemistry atm, can wait until we start doing the human side though
Chemistry - Hard :P but i love my class we have banter
Maths - meh it is an hour of stuff i getmost of it
Geography - a bit of a disapointment tbh, it is the same as gcse, no harder and we are doing the same case studies :frown: it isstill my favourite subject though
History-Lots of work but similiar to GCSE's
Theology-Brilliant but the question technique is quite tricky
English Literature-A chalenging course, yet I'm one of the leading students in the class at the moment, hence we'll have to see..
Spanish-Everyone seems to be finding it a struggle but me. So..

Aiming for AAAA/AAAB
Reply 26
Hmm one thing I will say is:

Physics - :oops:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Maths, further maths and physics all very easy. Dropped chemistry after AS just missed out on an A :frown:
Reply 28
Well I dropped economics straight away to do maths instead. But now I wish I'd swapped drama for maths instead and kept economics. Sad times. Anyway:

English Lit:
Good, much more interesting than gcse but I really can't stand one of my teachers - and she's made it quite apparent she can't stand me either after hearing what kind of books I like reading - Apparently anything other than period dramas aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Philosophy: I love it! Mega loads! I have found my calling in life :P
Maths: I'm really glad I picked maths up again after a 2 year break. I was really worried after having done Additional Maths in year 10 and getting an E, after which I dropped maths altogether. But it's going well so far!
Drama: :l So boring. Haven't had a single practical lesson so far, but hopefully it will get better. Pretty certain I'll be dropping it at the end of AS though. If I weren't doing shows outside of college I think I'd be dead by now.

I like all my subjects (with the exception of drama, which I hope I will start to like soon)
but I have to say if I was deciding now after spending a few weeks at college I would've done Late History, Philosophy, Economics and Maths.
Oh well! I think I might do AS economics alongside 3 A2s in second year, as at the moment I'm thinking of doing a joint degree in philosophy and economics.
Does anyone know what my chances will be of getting an offer to study economics without having it as a full a-level? If I do some outside reading on the subject to express my interest...
Reply 29
History = <3
English literature = <3
Maths = <3
Chemistry = fml.
damos92
I'm doing:

A level English language and literature = Quite boring but it guarantees a solid A
A level Media studies = Looked down upon, but the stuff i am doing currently is really enjoyable
AS level Economics = Love it, it's quite easy once you grasp the theory and it's quite interesting to apply it to real life situations
AS level History = It's ok, a bit boring but not too bad.

??
French is okay, German is okay, my teacher keeps picking on me in particular, but that's okay. I think she's a great teacher. It's not in a nasty way, I wish more teachers would pick apart my work like she does, I think it's going to be a real help. English Lit can be a bit boring and it's still a bit ploddy, we don't really talk about it, but it's okay. I like writing the essays, well, some of them. Still lots of jumping through hoops! Really like History!
The people in my English Lit class are great, people in my German class are really quiet and no one puts up their hand to volunteer info without a lot of coaxing from the teacher which is a bit annoying. French is a really big class. History everyone's fun and interested.
Reply 32
Maths :rolleyes:
Further Maths :rolleyes:
Physics :unsure:
(edited 13 years ago)
Difficult. Hard. Depressing.
A description for each one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Accountancy - Fairly easy to be honest. Not that hard at all.
Business - Similar to Accountancy however there are some tricky aspects of the course.
ICT - Coursework is a biatch, theory is VERY easy.
Maths - Relatively easy so far
Further Maths - Challenging, but just requires practice :P
Physics - Hard but so interesting
Chemistry - Fuuuun!
Reply 36
Andy Ftw

To be fair, this is just like me!
Reply 37
Awesomesauce
Hey, how are you finding Further Maths? I am thinking of picking AS FM up next year as I want to do Physics at uni. Is it that much harder? I have no natural aptitude for Maths by the way. I only got this far through hard work.

It depends on the route in which your school teaches it. I only get 2 hours of teaching per week but it's from a tutor that studies at UCL (PhD Physics/Math student). I'm doing the easiest of the 3 modules right now(D1) and it's pretty simple so far. However I've been told that FP1 is harder than C2 but easiest than C3.
The teacher (very experienced in FM teaching) said that it is a general rule that if you get an A in AS level Math then you will go on and get an A in AS FM then next year.
Reply 38
laura94
Well I dropped economics straight away to do maths instead. But now I wish I'd swapped drama for maths instead and kept economics. Sad times. Anyway:

English Lit:
Good, much more interesting than gcse but I really can't stand one of my teachers - and she's made it quite apparent she can't stand me either after hearing what kind of books I like reading - Apparently anything other than period dramas aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Philosophy: I love it! Mega loads! I have found my calling in life :P
Maths: I'm really glad I picked maths up again after a 2 year break. I was really worried after having done Additional Maths in year 10 and getting an E, after which I dropped maths altogether. But it's going well so far!
Drama: :l So boring. Haven't had a single practical lesson so far, but hopefully it will get better. Pretty certain I'll be dropping it at the end of AS though. If I weren't doing shows outside of college I think I'd be dead by now.

I like all my subjects (with the exception of drama, which I hope I will start to like soon)
but I have to say if I was deciding now after spending a few weeks at college I would've done Late History, Philosophy, Economics and Maths.
Oh well! I think I might do AS economics alongside 3 A2s in second year, as at the moment I'm thinking of doing a joint degree in philosophy and economics.
Does anyone know what my chances will be of getting an offer to study economics without having it as a full a-level? If I do some outside reading on the subject to express my interest...

Depends which type of economics course you want to study.
here on the southampton website:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2011/economics/bsc_social_sciences_economics_actuarial_science.html
To study economics and actuarial Science (same with other joint courses) they only specify that an A in Math is needed along side 2 other A's at A level. I'd suggest doing FM or Physics as universities are trying to get the top students rather than the ones who did the required subjects along side "softer" ones.
Reply 39
Andy Ftw

Just the 3? what you looking to do at university and where?

Latest