The Student Room Group

Help with Marketing Courses ?

Hey Everyone !
I'm British, but am currently living in France due to my father's job. I'm looking at uni courses for 2011, but since I have no help from school, i thought i'd turn to you guys !
I have understood that you should pick 2 risky choices, 2 ok, and 1 insurance.
I'm looking at Marketing courses, I have narrowed my choices down to :
Lancaster (Marketing and Advertising)
Lancaster (Marketing and Design)
Loughborough (Retailing, Marketing, and Management)
Keele ( Marketing and Media, Communications and Culture)

However, I can't find a nice uni (with campus preferably) with a decent marketing course to fill my last slot. It need to be an ABC, or a BBC, something along those lines.
Any help, or advice, would be so appreciated ! I'm a little in the dark :smile:
Reply 1
Would also like feedback on this as I'll be taking Marketing next year. Aiming for around BBB(C)-BCC(C) but before the AS results I was AAB(B)

Went to Kent open day: they don't do marketing anymore.
Went to Aston open day: they've now made it ABB which is probably too high for me.
Went to Huddersfield open day: nearly everyone was orange/scene kid and it reminded too much of a school.

And right now I'm on my way to Sheffield for the Sheffield Hallam open day tomorrow. Earlier I went to Keele. A bit concerned about their lack of concentration on work experience and the first year teacher wasn't very confident when making her speech (which she should be for a subject like Marketing), but it was alright overall (despite all the Harley Williams copies).

Still need to look into Reading, Portsmouth, Hertfordshire and perhaps a few others. Any other recommendations for this BBB-BCC grade range would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your help. I can't go to any open days, so please keep me up to date on your opinions of each uni, and maybe see you next year ! :smile:
Reply 3
Laurie57
Would also like feedback on this as I'll be taking Marketing next year. Aiming for around BBB(C)-BCC(C) but before the AS results I was AAB(B)

Went to Kent open day: they don't do marketing anymore.
Went to Aston open day: they've now made it ABB which is probably too high for me.
Went to Huddersfield open day: nearly everyone was orange/scene kid and it reminded too much of a school.

And right now I'm on my way to Sheffield for the Sheffield Hallam open day tomorrow. Earlier I went to Keele. A bit concerned about their lack of concentration on work experience and the first year teacher wasn't very confident when making her speech (which she should be for a subject like Marketing), but it was alright overall (despite all the Harley Williams copies).

Still need to look into Reading, Portsmouth, Hertfordshire and perhaps a few others. Any other recommendations for this BBB-BCC grade range would be appreciated :smile:

Hey, marketing as Aston used to be AAB/ABB, it's now AAA/AAB, just an FYI.
Reply 4
Ah yeah that's right, thank you. I must admit, saying ABB doesn't sound as bad as when I went to the open day and they told us what's required. That's definitely off the list then (as it pretty much was before).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm on my way back from Sheffield Hallam right now, and I must say... I'm impressed! It had an extremely good speaker for the marketing talk, better facilities than any other Uni I've seen this year, a top notch library, and the accommodation was relatively cheap.

I imagine the fact that it used to be a polytechnic is probably a bit of a turnoff for some workplaces, but I'm likely to do a masters degree after in a higher up Uni, and my goal in life isn't to become rich early on. It's to enjoy life, and I think that life would be good while studying at Sheffield Hallam.

Required UCAS points are amazingly only 240 points, and I think that this low requirement may be partly due to its roots as a polytechnic. Definitely will be in my top 5 though.

Next week I'll check out Reading :smile:
Reply 6
Have you heard good things about Uni of Central Lancashire ?
Reply 7
I know nothing about that university I'm afraid, perhaps you'll be able to find out about the uni by searching TSR
Reply 8
Any other news on some of the other Unis you went to?
Reply 9
Ah cheers for reminding me. I've been pretty busy since the Portsmouth open day yesterday so never got round to writing about the two recent university visits.

Yeah I can safely say that at 300-320 UCAS points required, Reading will be at the top of my apply list. The campus area is very green and very much like that of a local park with lots of buildings within. The people seemed to look quite respectable for the most part (as much as any other University I have visited yet).

I went to the Psychology building where the 'Consumer Behaviour and Marketing' course is taught and upon arrival, I was warmly greeted and went into the designated room for the course. In this room I was offered tea, juice and biscuits and I had a one-to-one conversation with a potential lecturer about the course for about 45 minutes. She showed confidence and it really seemed that she would be very helpful if I ever needed assistance on the course when at university.

In regards to the accomodation, I was also impressed. Prices are relatively fair priced and any bathrooms that are not en-suite are normally shared by about 4 people max, which is definitely fair for my needs. Plus, Reading is a red brick university and didn't used to be a polytechnic, which is especially appealing to employers who are bothered about that type of thing.

And then yesterday, I visited Portsmouth, which requires 280 UCAS points and is generally ranked around the middle of league tables. It's also a former polytechnic (as is Sheffield Hallam) which is apparently sometimes looked down upon by fussy employers. It's a city based university, so all of the buildings are based around Portsmouth. This means that you're often waiting at traffic lights on your travel to places, which could be an issue if you're late. The initial impression I got of the buildings and facilities was fairly average, though the fact that we were in a rush for the marketing talk may have biased our perception of the place to not be so great as it could have been.

The marketing talk was delivered with confidence, and he managed to get all the information across quite well (definitely better than that of Keele and Huddersfield). The accomodation was also better than I expected from all of the complaints I read about it beforehand in another topic on TSR, but all around the campus there were quality issues with the buildings (including a plug socket which was sticking out with showing wires!) So overall I'd say that Portsmouth seemed 'OK', and Reading seemed 'excellent'. At the same time, I would say Sheffield Hallam's open day was the most impressive of all of the open days I visited... it really did blow me away. It's just that status, accomodation and location of Reading which puts it above, for me.

The universities I will apply for include:
Reading
Hull (didn't go to the open day)
Keele
Sheffield Hallam (will most likely be my insurance!)
Portsmouth/Bournemouth

Hope this information is helpful for anyone interested :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks a bunch, i wasnt sure if i should apply for Reading but hey i need to get some riskier choices, mine are;

Reading
Bournemouth
Sheffield Hallam
Keele
Leeds Met

Also really like how Sheffield Hallam was, + also one of my best friends is going there aswell hopefully.
Reply 11
I'm also most probably going for Marketing too.
Currently my top 5 would be:

Brunel (surely my firm)
Kent (know it doesn't do marketing, but will apply for business studies)
Brighton
Roehampton
De Montfort

How do you guys think about these options? Too bad/or decent enough for an ABC student?

Also any suggestions are welcome regarding these unis..
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending