The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've been at Uni for 4-5 weeks now and I've been completely depressed and feel completely lost. I've been crying myself to sleep most nights or not sleeping at all due to stress. I've started seeing a student councellor in hope that it might help.
i live with my brother and his girlfriend, and the flat is nice enough, so that's not a huge problem, and I get to go home and see my girlfriend and family every weekend if i want.
What is stressing me out is the course. I used to be really interested in studying illustration and i tried really hard at my a levels and got an A* in art and design. But starting this course has really changed my mind. I feel like ive lost all confidence and hope for a future in art, because all the briefs ive had to do bore me to death and are so mudane and take so much time to do. its been more design than art and the time limits are tiny.
Ive contemplated dropping out and spoke to my councellor and family about it, but it seems a bad choice right now. I dropped myself down to foundation level in hope to gain some confidence, but i still feel awful about it all, and like ive messed up my life already.
Reply 21
Shibbldib
I've been at Uni for 4-5 weeks now and I've been completely depressed and feel completely lost. I've been crying myself to sleep most nights or not sleeping at all due to stress. I've started seeing a student councellor in hope that it might help.

I feel for you. I was like that in my first term of university. To be honest I knew I wanted to go to university, but I only "knew" that because I was clever, and it was expected that I'd go, so I was never really presented any other option.

-- Anyway. Dropping out of university is not necessarily a bad thing, for anyone. Now I have left I'm glad I did. A lot of people I speak to go for the "money" or the "experience". Let's face it, EVERY experience is a unique one, it depends on you, so university is not automatically a better experience or more unique than getting a job.

The first thing to do though is to secure another alternative. I was lucky in that went I decided to leave I found a job...within days and so could leave when I wanted. It wasn't a job I wanted to do (I didn't really know what I DID want) and you may find you have to take the first thing that comes up. Even if it's cleaning toilets. It depends on your situation, but if you really are unhappy it may give you the breathing space you need to consider things.

I did struggle to get a proper job though, it took me six months of constant applying to get my apprenticeship, and I think it was because of my age and grades. It was assumed that I was taking a gap year. In the end I went here: http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/

I love the work I get as an apprentice. I'm in an office, but the work is varied, and though it sounds easy on paper the constant changes keep it interesting. I'm given responsibility and I'm training in almost every part of the office, and more importantly I feel useful. The thing about university for me was that I felt like I was wasting time. I didn't know what I'd do with my degree after that I couldn't do without it, with this I’m getting experience in lots of different roles including customer service, administration, handling large amount of money and running a team of people. –It’s by no means a soft option. I work full-time, attend college and do a lot of work relating to this in my own time.

What is it you plan to do? Where do you want to be? Start from there and plan backwards. If you look there are a LOT of careers that don’t need a degree, or that employers are willing to train you for. Law? Go look at Ilex. IT? Try Zenos. And it’s always worth asking companies what they offer in terms of training and advancement. I do know people that started in a law firm at 16, as a receptionist and have gone on to get a degree paid for by the company and a guaranteed job at the end of it.

University is not the be all and end all. There are alternatives out there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Yeah tis true.... how long would you reccomend giving it until?
unknown_047
Try another month. Things can only get better. Talk to some friends. Ask them for advice. You sure should have some sort of solution other than dropping out of uni.

Think of it this way: In 20 years you might regret it BADLY. So think well before doing this. Good luck! :smile:

Can only get better yeahh.
Can only get...
Can only get...
Reply 24
Yeah tis true, im just not sure its worth it in the long run.... just have this gut feeling its really not for me. Does anyone have any advice about how long I should give it until? Obviously 3 weeks isn't long enough...
Reply 25
Tis true, I agree three weeks isnt long enough to make a decision. I just have this gut feeling about it, I don't want to waste my time in trying to be optimistic about the whole things, when really I know its not for me.... does anyone have any advice about how long I should give it until?
Reply 26
Lenguini
I feel for you. I was like that in my first term of university. To be honest I knew I wanted to go to university, but I only "knew" that because I was clever, and it was expected that I'd go, so I was never really presented any other option.

-- Anyway. Dropping out of university is not necessarily a bad thing, for anyone. Now I have left I'm glad I did. A lot of people I speak to go for the "money" or the "experience". Let's face it, EVERY experience is a unique one, it depends on you, so university is not automatically a better experience or more unique than getting a job.

The first thing to do though is to secure another alternative. I was lucky in that went I decided to leave I found a job...within days and so could leave when I wanted. It wasn't a job I wanted to do (I didn't really know what I DID want) and you may find you have to take the first thing that comes up. Even if it's cleaning toilets. It depends on your situation, but if you really are unhappy it may give you the breathing space you need to consider things.

I did struggle to get a proper job though, it took me six months of constant applying to get my apprenticeship, and I think it was because of my age and grades. It was assumed that I was taking a gap year. In the end I went here: http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/

I love the work I get as an apprentice. I'm in an office, but the work is varied, and though it sounds easy on paper the constant changes keep it interesting. I'm given responsibility and I'm training in almost every part of the office, and more importantly I feel useful. The thing about university for me was that I felt like I was wasting time. I didn't know what I'd do with my degree after that I couldn't do without it, with this I’m getting experience in lots of different roles including customer service, administration, handling large amount of money and running a team of people. –It’s by no means a soft option. I work full-time, attend college and do a lot of work relating to this in my own time.

What is it you plan to do? Where do you want to be? Start from there and plan backwards. If you look there are a LOT of careers that don’t need a degree, or that employers are willing to train you for. Law? Go look at Ilex. IT? Try Zenos. And it’s always worth asking companies what they offer in terms of training and advancement. I do know people that started in a law firm at 16, as a receptionist and have gone on to get a degree paid for by the company and a guaranteed job at the end of it.

University is not the be all and end all. There are alternatives out there.

thankyou for the advice. currently im taking a break from a mudane project, because i started crying, for no apparant reason. I started crying on my walk home from uni at lunch time. I have no idea why, i wasnt even feeling too worried, i was just planning what i was gonna do to get my work done, and I started crying.

I'll at it 'til christmas, and in the meantime plan what else i could do, and if i still feel **** after christmas, i dont think i'll be staying here. I feel like ive put myself in debt to be miserable and get a degree that probably wont be of any use to me. doesnt seem worth it.
Reply 27
Daffodils
Yeah tis true, im just not sure its worth it in the long run.... just have this gut feeling its really not for me. Does anyone have any advice about how long I should give it until? Obviously 3 weeks isn't long enough...

I would say a term, but I believe there is a cut off period where you don't have to pay the fees at all if you withdraw before then. But that is up to you. I would say see at least how well you do in your first couple of assignments - it might change how you feel.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Do you know when the cut off period is?
Don't make one of the biggest decisions of your life based on experiencing three weeks of uni. You will regret it. You have to give it a bit more time, even if you do drop out later in the year at least if you give it more time you can be certain its not for you. Besides I don't think lectures start to get interesting until you get a couple of months into the course, the beginning is just the intro.
Reply 30
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
I hope you notice the consistent advice given here; three weeks is NOT enough to pass judgment. You're three years at University can hardly be judged from the first three weeks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
TheMeister
you're supposed to go to university for something you're prepared to study and want to do

you don't go for the 'lifestyle'

:yep:
Reply 33
c0nfus3d
:yep:

I never went for the lifestyle, I went because I thought I wanted to study illustration, but now I feel like I have no interest in it or design, and I have no drive and I feel all the work I'm doing is pointless.
Daffodils
I have been at Uni for almost 3 weeks now.... completely the opposite of what I thought It might be.... supposed to be the 'best time of your life'... only its not. The lectures are already boring me....
Just really don't think its for me.... any suggestions/thoughts would be great. Thanks :smile:

I'm feeling like this now....but I want to change my course because I find it difficult; I didn't study it in college so that's what made it hard for me. In the beginning I chose it because I have basic knowledge of it but 3-4 weeks later I knew how hard it is.
Reply 35
Shibbldib
I never went for the lifestyle, I went because I thought I wanted to study illustration, but now I feel like I have no interest in it or design, and I have no drive and I feel all the work I'm doing is pointless.

How long have you been at university for?
Reply 36
I would also like to know when the cut off point for the fees is.
Reply 37
c0nfus3d
How long have you been at university for?

I'm in my fifth week, so over a month. As ive dropped myself down to foundation year, im finding it slightly easier, but still hate the course. My plan is to try get through this year, then maybe take a year off or apply somewhere and to something else with my girlfriend.
What exactly is it about Uni you don't like? The course, the social side, or just being a student itself?

If it's the course, that can be the way with first year modules. They have to include people who haven't studied your subject before, so if you already have, it can be boring. Are there second and third year modules that you will find more interesting? If so it's worth sticking it out through the slightly boring first year.
If you don't like your course at all, or think you'd prefer to study something else, talk to your Uni about this asap. It is sometimes possible to change course at this point in the term. But don't change unless you are sure you'd like the other course!

If it's the social side, it's only been a few weeks. Not enough time to make true friends yet. Also, Uni is excessively hyped to be the best time of your life and constantly amazing. Are you really not happy about it, or is it just not living up to those expectations? Honestly, changing Uni won't help that. Your social life is what you make it.

If it's being a student in general you don't like, as implied by this post
Daffodils
No not at all, just thought there would be more outgoing people...... not sure the intensity of studying at degree is really for me

then maybe you're right, and isn't for you. If that is the case applying somewhere else next year or changing course won't solve the problem. Uni is not the only option. Do something else.

I do think you should give it at least until Christmas and make an effort to make the best of things. If you finally decide that it's not for you then, drop out. But dropping out this early is pretty much the worst option.
Reply 39
Blueflare
What exactly is it about Uni you don't like? The course, the social side, or just being a student itself?

If it's the course, that can be the way with first year modules. They have to include people who haven't studied your subject before, so if you already have, it can be boring. Are there second and third year modules that you will find more interesting? If so it's worth sticking it out through the slightly boring first year.
If you don't like your course at all, or think you'd prefer to study something else, talk to your Uni about this asap. It is sometimes possible to change course at this point in the term. But don't change unless you are sure you'd like the other course!

If it's the social side, it's only been a few weeks. Not enough time to make true friends yet. Also, Uni is excessively hyped to be the best time of your life and constantly amazing. Are you really not happy about it, or is it just not living up to those expectations? Honestly, changing Uni won't help that. Your social life is what you make it.

If it's being a student in general you don't like, as implied by this post

then maybe you're right, and isn't for you. If that is the case applying somewhere else next year or changing course won't solve the problem. Uni is not the only option. Do something else.

I do think you should give it at least until Christmas and make an effort to make the best of things. If you finally decide that it's not for you then, drop out. But dropping out this early is pretty much the worst option.

You make alot of sense. Im gonna try and stick it out until christmas and just get used to it. Im still feeling very anxious about things, but that's just me, and my general lack of confidence. Thanks for the opinion and advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending