The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Go shopping and give people in the queues dirty looks ("Oi! what you lookin at?")

:cool:
Reply 21
Does that work?
Reply 22
I can relate! I used to be painfully shy when I was younger. My secondary school teacher recently told me that it took him three years to figure out that I wasn't mute. :| I think the only advice is to throw yourself into uncomfortable situations. Force yourself into talking with people, even if it's just saying "hey, nice shirt!" or something like that. It doesn't have to be a big discussion about war and peace, but just stepping out of your comfort zone and talking/smiling to people gradually helps. What did it for me was when I started college, and realised that the only way I'd get friends was if I opened up my mouth. And it was hard. Really hard. But now, three years later, I don't think about it at all. :smile:
Reply 23
I used to be really shy... one of the things that really helped me was being a member of a scout troop. Once I left I then helped to run the troop, and being responsible for organising activities for, training, and disciplining 20 kids certainly helped.

Getting a saturday job behind he counter in a community pharmacy helped a lot too. As well as being perfect work experience for my uni course, and looking good on UCAS, it forced me to meet, talk to, and be friendly to people.

At my old school, it took me years to make any real friends. At Uni this hasnt been a problem at all.

Haven't overcome the fear of public speaking yet though. I can cope with smallish groups (e.g. when i was running the scout troop, etc) but not more than 40.
Reply 24
embrace
i'm 18 years old girl and i'm really shy and have no confidence at all and i hate public speaking. i've been like this for as long as i can remember although i can say i'm much less shy now than i used to be when i was younger. all this time it hasn't really been a problem i've managed to get through school and do well, but now i really feel like its bringing me down. i started karate 2 years ago to help improve this and i really enjoy it but i'm still shy and not confident. the other day we were doing this kicks and eveyone had to stand in a circle and count to ten one after the other while doing 10 kicks and i just couldn't do it because iwas so scared of counting to 10 in front of 15 people. i really really want to change this i wnat to feel more confident, is there any sort of classes/things i can do to improve this. i'm really desperate i feel like i can't do anything

go watch some Jackass...
then mosh some...

ok, seriously...
think of everyone as being really really friendly, and pretend they're super shy aswell...
stop thinking of yourself as a shy person...
talk to people who also seem shy/lonely...
may not be a great idea, but libraries contain a fair few shy-ish people...
Reply 25
i'm shy, and i hate public speaking. but i have learned that as long as i know what to say and are prepared it get easier. i know that it is difficult but if you sometimes ask yourself if your shyness is going to stop you from doing something that you really want you can make progress, even though it is only small steps.
* hugs* i am the same as you! Im unbeliveably shy, and its making me deppressed. Ive made a few threads recently regarding this, they might be helpful to you aswel:smile:
I'd love some confidence too.
good luck
Reply 27
embrace
i'm 18 years old girl and i'm really shy and have no confidence at all and i hate public speaking. i've been like this for as long as i can remember although i can say i'm much less shy now than i used to be when i was younger. all this time it hasn't really been a problem i've managed to get through school and do well, but now i really feel like its bringing me down. i started karate 2 years ago to help improve this and i really enjoy it but i'm still shy and not confident. the other day we were doing this kicks and eveyone had to stand in a circle and count to ten one after the other while doing 10 kicks and i just couldn't do it because iwas so scared of counting to 10 in front of 15 people. i really really want to change this i wnat to feel more confident, is there any sort of classes/things i can do to improve this. i'm really desperate i feel like i can't do anything

I have a friend who is just like you and shes a lovely person so theres no need to let your shyness get your confidence down, try googling it thoe theres plenty of websites which could help you out
Reply 28
I guess with me quite often my shyness is more a fear of rejection than a proper shyness. This makes it very difficult to ask girls out, to ask friends if they want to meet up for a drink, and to make new friends.
Reply 29
embrace

Oh my god, I have the exact same problem, I really really want to improve my confidence.. I mean, I'm fine with close friends and family but otherwise, I absolutely hate public speaking or things like that. I've tried getting over it by joining teacher assistant clubs where I help teachers out with trampolining and I just feel awkward scolding students and ordering them around like it's not right.. right now, I'm going with the 'i'll wait and see' thing but it's not really making a difference.. It's the same with me too, I used to be terribly shy as a child and it's not that bad now but I still want to be more confident in some things.. Let me know if you've found something that's helped you.