The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hobnob
It does, because several of the points which you previously presented as 'facts' are actually claims which are so hugely exaggerated (for example 'a kid who gets AAA at a comprehensive school has the same chance of getting into Oxbridge as a private school pupil with ABB', which is blatant nonsense) that they no longer resemble facts. That isn't to say you don't have a point about unequal chances, but a) that doesn't automatically mean it's the universities' fault and b) you're not exactly helping your argument by distorting the facts beyond recognition just to make them appear even more shocking.:erm:

Actually all I did was confuse "over twice as many" with "almost twice as many", which is pretty much semantics. Its still somewhere in the region of twice as many.

Just to confirm: 'a kid who gets AAA at a comprehensive school has the same chance of getting into Oxbridge as a private school pupil with ABB' is true, according to the Sutton Trust Report. They actually said "two grades lower", an example of which would be: AAA -> ABB.

If you dispute this claim, you should write to them and explain why they are talking "blatent nonsense" as your extensive research shows.
Reply 81
py0alb
Actually all I did was confuse "over twice as many" with "almost twice as many", which is pretty much semantics. Its still somewhere in the region of twice as many.

Just to confirm: 'a kid who gets AAA at a comprehensive school has the same chance of getting into Oxbridge as a private school pupil with ABB' is true, according to the Sutton Trust Report. They actually said "two grades lower", an example of which would be: AAA -> ABB.

If you dispute this claim, you should write to them and explain why they are talking "blatent nonsense" as your extensive research shows.

The report is based on data which is up to nine years old. Perhaps that's why the figures don't seem to be adding up now. If you have a look at more recent admissions statistics, though, you'll find that applicants from comprehensive schools accounted for 19.5% of applications and 19.6% of offers last year. Independent schools accounted for 31.6% of applications and 42.1% of offers (Table 1a). Which does add up to a much higher success rate, but the differences are nowhere near as extreme as you were trying to suggest. And if you scroll down to Table 3, you'll see that not a single student was accepted with ABB or less. So on the basis of those statistics, I think it's fair to dismiss the claim that 'a kid who gets AAA at a comprehensive school has the same chance of getting into Oxbridge as a private school pupil with ABB' as untrue.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
hobnob
The report is based on data which is up to nine years old. Perhaps that's why the figures don't seem to be adding up now. If you have a look at more recent admissions statistics, though, you'll find that applicants from comprehensive schools accounted for 19.5% of applications and 19.6% of offers last year. Independent schools accounted for 31.6% of applications and 42.1% of offers (Table 1a). Which does add up to a much higher success rate, but the differences are nowhere near as extreme as you were trying to suggest. And if you scroll down to Table 3, you'll see that not a single student was accepted with ABB or less. So on the basis of those statistics, I think it's fair to dismiss the claim that 'a kid who gets AAA at a comprehensive school has the same chance of getting into Oxbridge as a private school pupil with ABB' as untrue.

To start with, one is an independent report, and the other is data you have cherry picked from Oxford's own carefully massaged figures to try and "win" an argument on an online forum. Hardly going to be unbiased is it? :rolleyes:

If you actually take the time to read back over the posts you are disputing, you would see I already said:

py0alb
an example of what the report was saying (seeing as you appeared to have misunderstood the point), not a statement of fact

So your point about ABB student admissions is a strawman argument.
Could you explain how you would interpret the sentence "A student in a state school is as likely to go on to a leading university as a student from the independent sector who gets two grades lower at A-level" then? Is there some other version of "lower" that I'm not aware of that actually means "higher"? Give me an example of what he meant if you think the AAA->ABB is an incorrect example.
Reply 83
py0alb
To start with, one is an independent report, and the other is data you have cherry picked from Oxford's own carefully massaged figures to try and "win" an argument on an online forum. Hardly going to be unbiased is it? :rolleyes:

One is an independent report which is based on old data, and the other is the most recent admissions data, for which I have no reason to believe it has been 'massaged' (in fact, the Sutton Trust report was partly based on data provided by the same source) - if you have any proof that it has, though, I'd be very interested in seeing it.
I only chose Oxford's statistics because the discussion seemed to be mainly revolving around Oxbridge and those statistics happened to include the figures which are relevant in this context.
So your point about ABB student admissions is a strawman argument.
Could you explain how you would interpret the sentence "A student in a state school is as likely to go on to a leading university as a student from the independent sector who gets two grades lower at A-level" then? Is there some other version of "lower" that I'm not aware of that actually means "higher"? Give me an example of what he meant if you think the AAA->ABB is an incorrect example.

You're the one clutching at strawman arguments here, because you were trying to back up your argument about Oxbridge admissions with the report. The Sutton Trust report is actually based on admissions data for 13 universities, though, and the 'two grades lower' thing is quite clearly referring to the other 11 universities (i.e. Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, York and the like), because successful Oxford and Cambridge all have more or less the same grades and offers to people with anything lower than AAA are extremely rare, regardless of which type of school they attended. You were taking it out of its proper context.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
hobnob
One is an independent report which is based on old data, and the other is the most recent admissions data, for which I have no reason to believe it has been 'massaged' (in fact, the Sutton Trust report was partly based on data provided by the same source) - if you have any proof that it has, though, I'd be very interested in seeing it.
I only chose Oxford's statistics because the discussion seemed to be mainly revolving around Oxbridge and those statistics happened to include the figures which are relevant in this context.

You're the one clutching at strawman arguments here, because you were trying to back up your argument about Oxbridge admissions with the report. The Sutton Trust report is actually based on admissions data for 13 universities, though, and the 'two grades lower' thing is quite clearly referring to the other 11 universities (i.e. Birmingham, Bristol, Nottingham, York and the like), because successful Oxford and Cambridge all have more or less the same grades and offers to people with anything lower than AAA are extremely rare, regardless of which type of school they attended. You were taking it out of its proper context.

Actually, the report is from 2007. Unless I have been asleep for 6 years, I do believe that that is only 3 years ago?

He spoke of "the top universities" and "the leading universities". Whether he means the top 2 or the top 4 or 5 is not exactly clear. Again, if you have a problem with the data, go talk to the Sutton Trust, which is what I was quoting. I'm not sure exactly what you agenda is here - what is your point exactly? That the Sutton data is wrong? That Oxbridge/the leading universities are faultless in their admissions procedures?

All you have done is come in 12 hours after the debate proper subsided and continually quote me out of context to try and make yourself look smart, but you haven't actually made a single sensible point yet. I refuse to believe that you're actually so stupid that you can't tell the difference between an explanatory example and an assertion of fact. If you actually have something to contribute other than pointless and pedantic misquotes, then spit it out, otherwise stop trolling. Considering you're a mod, one might think that you really should know better.

And don't do the classic mod trick of closing the thread then editing my post to make it look like you "win". that's just pathetic.
Reply 85
py0alb
Actually, the report is from 2007. Unless I have been asleep for 6 years, I do believe that that is only 3 years ago?

The report is from 2007. But naturally it had to be based on data which was older than that, and it even says so right at the end of the report (on page 42): 'numbers of university applications and accepted university applicants each year during the period 2001-2006 for each school and sixth form college registered on the UCAS database'. It doesn't explicitly state that the Oxford and Cambridge admissions statistics which they used referred to the same period, but it would have made little sense not to.
He spoke of "the top universities" and "the leading universities". Whether he means the top 2 or the top 4 or 5 is not exactly clear.

Again, if I may refer you to page 42: 'Two sets of figures for applications and accepted university applicants for each school were provided - those for all higher education institutions and those for a group of 13 research-led universities known as the Sutton Trust 13. The 13 universities are: Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Imperial, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, York'. So 'top universities' or 'leading universities' refers to all 13.
As a bit of a side-issue, the whole thing about 'over-achieving' and 'under-achieving' schools is actually quite a messy and complicated affair, and not as straightforward as that quote is implying. It seems to be based on average A-level scores achieved at those schools and an 'expected' success rate of schools calculated on the basis of those average UCAS scores, rather than the results of individual students, and straight after the findings there's nearly a page of caveats, i.e. additional factors which weren't or couldn't be taken into account (p. 18).
Again, if you have a problem with the data, go talk to the Sutton Trust, which is what I was quoting. I'm not sure exactly what you agenda is here - what is your point exactly? That the Sutton data is wrong? That Oxbridge/the leading universities are faultless in their admissions procedures?

My 'agenda' as you call it is that I don't think you've actually read the report you're citing, so you're misrepresenting its findings. So no, I don't have a problem with the data, I have a problem with your inaccurate reading of it.
All you have done is come in 12 hours after the debate proper subsided and continually quote me out of context to try and make yourself look smart, but you haven't actually made a single sensible point yet.

I tried to put your claims into context by looking at actual admission statistics and the Sutton Trust report which was cited in that article, and found that I couldn't, presumably because you only read the article but not the actual report. For which I don't actually blame you, because it's lengthy and not a terribly exciting read, but I think that's the reason why the example you cited was inaccurate.
If you actually have something to contribute other than pointless and pedantic misquotes, then spit it out, otherwise stop trolling. Considering you're a mod, one might think that you really should know better.

There's no need to get quite so aggressive, really...:erm: OK, I'll spell it out for you: you do have a point about the Sutton Trust report, but you misunderstood a couple of crucial points, probably because you only read the summary provided by that Guardian article and didn't look at the actual report and its methods. And as a result, your claims were way off. Yes, the findings of that report were alarming, but nowhere near as alarming as you appear to think.
Einheri
Prince Charles. Dismal A-levels but got into Cambridge. Wikipedia says he got a B and a C (no third A-level), then graduated with a 2.ii . . . all that inbreeding.

My mum got the same as him and went to Nottingham Trent :mad:
Reply 87
hobnob
The report is from 2007. But naturally it had to be based on data which was older than that, and it even says so right at the end of the report (on page 42): 'numbers of university applications and accepted university applicants each year during the period 2001-2006 for each school and sixth form college registered on the UCAS database'. It doesn't explicitly state that the Oxford and Cambridge admissions statistics which they used referred to the same period, but it would have made little sense not to.

Again, if I may refer you to page 42: 'Two sets of figures for applications and accepted university applicants for each school were provided - those for all higher education institutions and those for a group of 13 research-led universities known as the Sutton Trust 13. The 13 universities are: Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Imperial, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, York'. So 'top universities' or 'leading universities' refers to all 13.
As a bit of a side-issue, the whole thing about 'over-achieving' and 'under-achieving' schools is actually quite a messy and complicated affair, and not as straightforward as that quote is implying. It seems to be based on average A-level scores achieved at those schools and an 'expected' success rate of schools calculated on the basis of those average UCAS scores, rather than the results of individual students, and straight after the findings there's nearly a page of caveats, i.e. additional factors which weren't or couldn't be taken into account (p. 18).

My 'agenda' as you call it is that I don't think you've actually read the report you're citing, so you're misrepresenting its findings. So no, I don't have a problem with the data, I have a problem with your inaccurate reading of it.

I tried to put your claims into context by looking at actual admission statistics and the Sutton Trust report which was cited in that article, and found that I couldn't, presumably because you only read the article but not the actual report. For which I don't actually blame you, because it's lengthy and not a terribly exciting read, but I think that's the reason why the example you cited was inaccurate.

There's no need to get quite so aggressive, really...:erm: OK, I'll spell it out for you: you do have a point about the Sutton Trust report, but you misunderstood a couple of crucial points, probably because you only read the summary provided by that Guardian article and didn't look at the actual report and its methods. And as a result, your claims were way off. Yes, the findings of that report were alarming, but nowhere near as alarming as you appear to think.

Alright, I suppose that's technically fair enough. I must admit I did just quote him directly from the article, taking as read that the grauniad weren't misquoting him. There really wasn't any need to be quite such a pedantic ass about it though, was there? Whatever point it was I was originally making is still valid even if I should have said "top 13 universities" a couple of times instead of "Oxbridge". The system is still inequitable until the proportion of privately schooled Oxbridge top 13 acceptees is roughly the same as the proportion of privately schooled A-level candidates.
Reply 88
py0alb
Alright, I suppose that's technically fair enough. I must admit I did just quote him directly from the article, taking as read that the grauniad weren't misquoting him. There really wasn't any need to be quite such a pedantic ass about it though, was there? Whatever point it was I was originally making is still valid even if I should have said "top 13 universities" a couple of times instead of "Oxbridge".

OK, I admit that I may have overdone it a bit on the pedantry because I was annoyed that you seemed to be reducing a genuinely important report to 'Oxbridge prefer mediocre private school applicants to top state school applicants'. Sorry.:o:
The system is still inequitable until the proportion of privately schooled Oxbridge top 13 acceptees is roughly the same as the proportion of privately schooled A-level candidates.

That still leaves the problem of the spread of grades, though. One of the reasons why a disproportionate number of privately schooled A-level candidates apply and get accepted is that a disproportionately high number of them get the grades which are necessary to apply. So ideally you'd also have to aim for a situation in which the percentage of students achieving AAA or higher at a state school is roughly equal to the percentage of students achieving the same grades at a private school.
Reply 89
hobnob
OK, I admit that I may have overdone it a bit on the pedantry because I was annoyed that you seemed to be reducing a genuinely important report to 'Oxbridge prefer mediocre private school applicants to top state school applicants'. Sorry.:o:

That still leaves the problem of the spread of grades, though. One of the reasons why a disproportionate number of privately schooled A-level candidates apply and get accepted is that a disproportionately high number of them get the grades which are necessary to apply. So ideally you'd also have to aim for a situation in which the percentage of students achieving AAA or higher at a state school is roughly equal to the percentage of students achieving the same grades at a private school.

Well ideally, every child in Britain would receive exactly the same quality of education, carefully tailored towards their individuals needs and abilities, regardless of the wealth of their parents... but that's a whole other discussion, and one that I'm bored of arguing about.

If we work from the assumption that unequal schooling opportunities are going to be given to pupils based on the wealth of their parents, then we can ask how we can attempt to make the most of a bad situation by at least attempting to figure out what pupils would have acheived had they been given the same opportunities for success. This is admittedly no easy task. Whatever measures you bring in to try and spot potential in kids that have had limited opportunities through their schooling, then the private school sector will teach their pupils to mimic this behaviour in order to keep the state school pupils out (that's what they are being paid for after all). This is not to say that we should simply give up trying to counteract the cunning of the independant school system. Do that and we might as well just start auctioning the top university places to the highest bidder.
hobnob
That's a bizarre argument.:s-smilie: For one thing, the group of people you refer to as 'they' obviously hasn't remained the same over the past 50 years, so it's ridiculous to claim that 'they believe what they believe' and therefore things can't have changed just because the university is 800 years old. And for another, an awful lot of things have changed at Cambridge over the past 50 years - and as it happens, that includes radical changes to the way admissions work. There were no conditional offers in the 1960s, because people still had to sit the entrance exam, so yes, there would have been other people at Oxford and Cambridge with those kind of grades.

I don't really see why people always make such a big fuss about Prince Charles in this context anyway. After all, we're talking about someone who has by definition been a special case all his life, which makes him an extraordinarily bad example to use if you want to illustrate a general phenomenon. Prince Charles is really no better suited for illustrating Cambridge's admission policies (either in the 1960s or today), than he is for illustrating the challenges faced by unemployed over-60s in the UK.

admissions in cambridge today is not so different from 50 years ago. the same purpose, to cream off the smartest. the entrance exam was a good device for this: but as could be argued socially discriminatory decided to make more use of A levels. but even in 60s i do not think many folk in cambridge with prince charles's grades.
prince charles shows that cambrdige dons are, in line with a lot of weak decadent intellectuals, quite capable of bending policy for economic benefits. so, yes, charles is an exceptional person, but nonetheless if you can take a big bribe, odds are you'll also accept a smaller one.
charles is a good example of an old unemployed guy. many rich guys over 60 are exactly like charles. sit about, moan a bit, right scatty letters to the telegraph.
Einheri
Prince Charles. Dismal A-levels but got into Cambridge. Wikipedia says he got a B and a C (no third A-level), then graduated with a 2.ii . . . all that inbreeding.

redpanda41
My mum got the same as him and went to Nottingham Trent :mad:

Prince Charles' course was seen as much more a preparation for kingship. He went to Trinity so that he could have supervisions on this from the ex-cabinet minister Rab Butler who was Master. After Cambridge he went to study at Aberystwyth where he learned Welsh.

Prince William has had more of a conventional university career but he is 2nd in line to the throne whilst Prince Charles was first in line from the age of 8.

Nothing has been published about Prince William learning Welsh but he is currently stationed in a Welsh speaking part of Wales. He will almost certainly be learning Welsh whilst there. He will be Prince of Wales one day and must not have a John Redwood moment.
Reply 92
Redreynard
admissions in cambridge today is not so different from 50 years ago. the same purpose, to cream off the smartest. the entrance exam was a good device for this: but as could be argued socially discriminatory decided to make more use of A levels. but even in 60s i do not think many folk in cambridge with prince charles's grades.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, but I suppose unless one of us can actually dig up some old statistics for A-level grade distributions 50 years ago, we'll just have to agree to disagree.:dontknow:
prince charles shows that cambrdige dons are, in line with a lot of weak decadent intellectuals, quite capable of bending policy for economic benefits.

No. If anything, Prince Charles' admission shows that 50 years ago, Cambridge dons who belonged to an entirely different generation of academics from today's were willing to bend policies. It tells us precisely nothing about what the situation is like today, though, because one thing which definitely has changed is the people making the decisions. You can't just talk about 'Cambridge dons' as though they were some kind of ageless institution. Stuffy old dons die and get replaced.
so, yes, charles is an exceptional person, but nonetheless if you can take a big bribe, odds are you'll also accept a smaller one.

I didn't call him exceptional, I said he was an exception - big difference.:p:
Anyway: the big bribe / small bribe thing doesn't follow at all. Taking a bribe is a pretty high risk, because of the large number of people involved in the admissions process, both at college and at faculty level, and the repercussions of being caught would be considerable. Small bribes carry exactly the same amount of risk, but for far less gain. Under those kind of circumstances, you'd be extremely careful about it and only accept a bribe if you thought it was big enough to make it worth the risk. Accepting a large number of bribes would just be asking to get caught.
charles is a good example of an old unemployed guy. many rich guys over 60 are exactly like charles. sit about, moan a bit, right scatty letters to the telegraph.

I specifically didn't say 'rich guys over 60', I said 'unemployed'. And in all fairness, one thing Charles probably doesn't get to do a lot is sit about - he's far too busy getting photographed and going to all kinds of openings and events to shake hands with complete strangers and pretend to be interested in them.:p:
Original post by hobnob
I wouldn't be so sure of that, but I suppose unless one of us can actually dig up some old statistics for A-level grade distributions 50 years ago, we'll just have to agree to disagree.:dontknow:

No. If anything, Prince Charles' admission shows that 50 years ago, Cambridge dons who belonged to an entirely different generation of academics from today's were willing to bend policies. It tells us precisely nothing about what the situation is like today, though, because one thing which definitely has changed is the people making the decisions. You can't just talk about 'Cambridge dons' as though they were some kind of ageless institution. Stuffy old dons die and get replaced.

I didn't call him exceptional, I said he was an exception - big difference.:p:
Anyway: the big bribe / small bribe thing doesn't follow at all. Taking a bribe is a pretty high risk, because of the large number of people involved in the admissions process, both at college and at faculty level, and the repercussions of being caught would be considerable. Small bribes carry exactly the same amount of risk, but for far less gain. Under those kind of circumstances, you'd be extremely careful about it and only accept a bribe if you thought it was big enough to make it worth the risk. Accepting a large number of bribes would just be asking to get caught.

I specifically didn't say 'rich guys over 60', I said 'unemployed'. And in all fairness, one thing Charles probably doesn't get to do a lot is sit about - he's far too busy getting photographed and going to all kinds of openings and events to shake hands with complete strangers and pretend to be interested in them.:p:

mr. hobnob, i think you might be smarter than the average tsr cat.
but the argument i meant to make was this. cambridge dons to me are always the same: pretty bright blokes. 50 years ago we established that these kind of bookish men will accept a big bribe, say the building of a library. and my only conclusion from that is to say maybe dons/bright blokes are naturally devious! so, yes, they might not be so brazen these days, because being more careful - so yes it would be risky to take lots of small bibes. but we know what they're like!!! and being like that we have to watch them. whether taking a guy because he can help pay for the library. or taking a guy because he is a token that a leftist govt might like to see in a college - i think now this is the bigger problem than the one of little lord fauntleroy getting a leg up. either way, we've got to watch them to make sure their decisions are based on academic factors alone!
Reply 94
Original post by Fallen
As far as I know that is dead in UK Universities.

believe me its far from dead
Interesting article on "legacy" places at http://www.thecrimson.harvard.edu/article/2006/12/13/end-legacy-preference-on-friday-the/

"Mommy’s or Daddy’s Harvard degree should not give Junior a boost"
Reply 96
Original post by Redreynard
mr. hobnob, i think you might be smarter than the average tsr cat.

Right...:erm:
but the argument i meant to make was this. cambridge dons to me are always the same: pretty bright blokes. 50 years ago we established that these kind of bookish men will accept a big bribe, say the building of a library. and my only conclusion from that is to say maybe dons/bright blokes are naturally devious!

I know that's what you meant, but I still think it's a really weird way of looking at things. You're basically attaching a label to a fairly large group of people (which may not even have fitted all of them back then) and then ruling out any possibility of change within that group, despite the fact that in objective terms, Cambridge dons are a far less homogeneous group now than they were 50 years ago: more diversity of backgrounds, less academic inbreeding (i.e. people who went up to do their BA and basically just never left) and more people who were themselves accepted on merit (i.e. the quality of their research) rather than just happening to know the right people.
so, yes, they might not be so brazen these days, because being more careful - so yes it would be risky to take lots of small bibes. but we know what they're like!!! and being like that we have to watch them.

Do we really, though?
whether taking a guy because he can help pay for the library. or taking a guy because he is a token that a leftist govt might like to see in a college - i think now this is the bigger problem than the one of little lord fauntleroy getting a leg up. either way, we've got to watch them to make sure their decisions are based on academic factors alone!

Who are 'we' and how do you propose that 'we' watch Cambridge admissions?:confused: Besides, surely they're in the spotlight already, so there's no need for this kind of academic neighbourhood watch scheme?

Latest

Trending

Trending