The Student Room Group

Uni advice

I'm getting pretty frustrated with myself. I don't know what I want to do in uni.
I would say I've chosen great A-Levels - Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, Psychology
yet I don't specifically know what I want to go into, and everyone's making me feel as if time's running out for me. I've just started Year 12, I know I want to go into Biology/Chemistry - I also want a GOOD job with good salary.
Do you think time is running out and I should start pinning particular jobs down?
I mean I'm going to do a range of voluntary work so hopefully that'll help me choose what I would like to go into.
What I don't want to do is pick a Uni course for the sake of it then regret it :frown:

Advice?
(edited 13 years ago)
to be fair there are people at uni in there final year who don't have a clue what type off job they want, most students, unless you have it set i want to be a doctor or teacher and so on

course wise do something you enjoy, people take science degree knowing full well they won't work in the sciences but enjoy the subject

time will start running out if you leave ucas till the last minute, work experince is normally a good route to take
Reply 2
Well you don't have to apply until this time next year, so you have a year to make up your mind on courses and Unis. Also, your Uni course doesn't have to lead straight into a particular job. What you do at Uni doesn't usually trap you into one specific thing. Just do something you enjoy, be it Biology, Chemistry, both, or something else. You can think about careers when you're at Uni.
I'm a third year and a lot of people I know still don't know what they want to do. Most people are applying for a few different things too, to increase their chances of getting something.

In conclusion: you don't need to have your whole life planned out at 16/17! There's plenty of time.