The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
neither. much of the time the artists come up with the ideas and the academics think of ways to produce them. or vice-versa. :smile:
Reply 2
Neither are more important.
Reply 3
Which is more important: Food or water?
Academics.
Reply 5
Hylean
Neither are more important.

It's a subjective issue and so this is incorrect, as to some people artists will be more important as they enjoy art more than they enjoy the musings and theories of academics.
Reply 6
I'm going to say it: Academics.

Sorry to the artists but I rank medicines, transport, technology over pretty paintings. Not saying art is useless or anything, just that if I had to pick one.
Reply 7
damos92
It's a subjective issue and so this is incorrect, as to some people artists will be more important as they enjoy art more than they enjoy the musings and theories of academics.

Surely as it's subjective that implies there is no ultimate answer, thus neither are more important and neither are less important.
Reply 8
Academics are more important. I know artists will complain about this, but I believe it's true.
I look at it this way: Academics could easily survive in the world without artists. But the artists would be pretty screwed without the adademics.
Reply 9
Teveth
Which is more important: Food or water?

Water.
Reply 10
Nayred
Water.

Beyond one or two weeks, they are equally as important.
This all depends on how you define "artist" and "academic", of course.

what is art, what is science, etc. Who gives a ****?
Reply 12
Both are important for a balanced society
Reply 13
Hylean
Surely as it's subjective that implies there is no ultimate answer, thus neither are more important and neither are less important.

Why does there have to be an 'ultimate answer'?
Teveth
Beyond one or two weeks, they are equally as important.

you wouldn't get beyond 2 weeks without water

so water
Reply 15
The academic, the artist, the father, the son, the teacher, the police man, the author, the soldier. These 'surface' labels are just roles people take on at various points in their lives to enable them to survive. No one is more important than anyone else.

There is no such person who actually fits the label as 100% academic or 100% artist anyway. We are all individuals, and the effects of a persons life on the course of the future cannot possibly be understood, especially if they are being put into such vague categories. Aren't there elements of artistry in academia?
Reply 16
hello dave
Sorry to the artists but I rank medicines, transport, technology over pretty paintings.

That's pretty ignorant, dude. Art isn't just "pretty paintings". What about music? What about graphic design? what about architecture?
(edited 13 years ago)
Aj12
Both are important for a balanced society

how do you go about balancing a society? I would love to know
Reply 18
Overall... the artist. He gives us joy and a reason to live.
They are equally important. The artists keep the academics sane.

Latest

Trending

Trending