The Student Room Group

how can I do physiotherapy?

I have just quit uni I was doing psychology and wasn't really enjoying it but Ive always wanted to do physio its just my A levels are crap. :frown: C psy, D in sports sci and E in biology :eek: Id be better off not even mentioning that lol!
Anyway im 20 this year but is there any other way I can get on a physio degree? They usually require at least 3 B's. I mean I know I need healthcare experience thats easy cause my mums a nurse I could ask for some work experience but what about the grades? If I wait until im a mature student at 21 will I have more of a chance?
Thanks
Reply 1
Riddy
I have just quit uni I was doing psychology and wasn't really enjoying it but Ive always wanted to do physio its just my A levels are crap. :frown: C psy, D in sports sci and E in biology :eek: Id be better off not even mentioning that lol!
Anyway im 20 this year but is there any other way I can get on a physio degree? They usually require at least 3 B's. I mean I know I need healthcare experience thats easy cause my mums a nurse I could ask for some work experience but what about the grades? If I wait until im a mature student at 21 will I have more of a chance?
Thanks

even as a mature student you would be expected to achieve a decent level .........some uni's wil;l ask you to resit an a-level.................perhaps try an access course (although I'm not sure what the requirements are to get on the access course.......)

I would suggest resitting/doing new a-levells........or take up another degree and apply once you have your degree......

I have CCD at a-level, missing my physio offer from manchester by miles (they wanted BBB). I went and did a sports therapy degree, got a first and now I amm on the physio course at St Georges...............

P.S. Try posting in the uni healthcare forum!
Reply 2
JackieS
even as a mature student you would be expected to achieve a decent level .........some uni's wil;l ask you to resit an a-level.................perhaps try an access course (although I'm not sure what the requirements are to get on the access course.......)

I would suggest resitting/doing new a-levells........or take up another degree and apply once you have your degree......

I have CCD at a-level, missing my physio offer from manchester by miles (they wanted BBB). I went and did a sports therapy degree, got a first and now I amm on the physio course at St Georges...............

P.S. Try posting in the uni healthcare forum!

hm ok thanks. I don't want to go back to college though tutors hated me lol.
Reply 3
Riddy
hm ok thanks. I don't want to go back to college though tutors hated me lol.

go somewhere else lol Doing qualifications is your only way forward I'm afraid.....
Reply 4
Does anyone know anything about this course, Allied health sciences? It says you can progress onto physiotherapy in the third year but im confused does it mean you can start a Bsc Physiotherapy degree only after its been completed or do you gain the physio qualification within the degree? Im gonna ring up about it but just wondered if anyone knows anything.
thanks jackie btw

http://www.salford.ac.uk/course-finder/course/1294
Reply 5
There is another option. You could try and get a job as a physiotherapy assistant in a hospital. I worked as a physio assistant for a while, and you can do a degree in physiotherapy while you work - the NHS will fund you to do this! I think the qualifications you need to get a PTA post are basically GCSE's and an interest in physio. I had worked in a care home before getting the PTA job. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Evenstar
There is another option. You could try and get a job as a physiotherapy assistant in a hospital. I worked as a physio assistant for a while, and you can do a degree in physiotherapy while you work - the NHS will fund you to do this! I think the qualifications you need to get a PTA post are basically GCSE's and an interest in physio. I had worked in a care home before getting the PTA job. :biggrin:

Cool, the NHS pays for the degree anyway don't they? Im gonna try and get experience as an assistant though since its as important as qualifications.
Reply 7
Whilst your getting experience isn't there a night class in a level biology you could do? Or do a distance learning A Level.
Reply 8
kirstinx
Whilst your getting experience isn't there a night class in a level biology you could do? Or do a distance learning A Level.

Maybe but im thinking of a course (see link in previous post) in allied healthcare it says it leads on to physiotherapy or something in the last year, or it might just give the qualification for physio.

Congrats on getting in btw :smile: Most people need qualifications so you must have been a good worker.
About 1/5 of the people who finish this 2 year course go on to do physiotherapy (unfortunately atm they have to start again from the first year but it's planned to introduce 2nd year direct entry soon)...the rest go into OT or nursing.
Reply 10
Evenstar

I just copied this from thelondon south bank website - they do a degree in physio for those who are assitants and it takes 4 years and yu work and study as you gio:

Additional Information
Entry Requirements
We welcome applications from ALL those interested in furthering their education, particularly mature students. So if you do not meet the general entry requirements but can demonstrate that your life/work skills would make you suitable, you should still consider applying.

Standard Entry Requirements

Normally students will be 21 or over, working under the supervision of a chartered physiotherapist and have a good standard of English literacy. Applicants must also possess one or more of the following: A Level: in a relevant subject Biology or Human Biology is a distinct advantage; Advanced GNVQ: relevant distinction overall with six additional units; EdExcel/BTEC: relevant award eg BTEC National Diploma (sciences essential); NVQ: at Level 3; Open University degree level foundation (or similar): pass; A portfolio of work presented to given criteria; Access course (kite marked): eg Access to Physiotherapy, Lambeth College; Equivalent qualifications.

Additional Entry Requirements: Applicants will be required to attend an interview as part of the selection process. Applicants should discuss their application with their line manager and obtain their agreement. Students may apply for Accreditation of Prior (Experiential) Learning (AP(E)L) whereby they may be granted exemption from certain modules. All offers are conditional and subject to satisfactory completion & submission of a medical report screened by Occupational Health; a police check via the Criminal Records Bureau; references. Applicants whose first language is not English should have an IELTS score of 6.0 or above at the time of application.

Course Contacts

Dr Heather Holder-Powell

so - you're quite right about needing only GCSE's to get a physio assiatant job but you STILL have to have a-levels or some other form of qualification to be considered for the work and learn courses.................
Check out the Open Uni http://www.open.ac.uk if you want to check out their foundation certificates.

Latest

Trending

Trending