The Student Room Group

Lab Report Intro

Im a second year psychology student, so I need to make sure my lab report is good!

The topic is animal phobias and the study is aimed at deciphering whether there is a relationship between ugliness (of an animal) and fear of animals using partial correlation to control for effects of percieved harmfulness.

I feel my introduction must have something huge missing because I am finding it WAY too easy to get everything within the 550 word limit for the intro. Usually I have so much to get in it is ridiculously hard.

I have these sections in my intro:
-Brief statement of what the study is aiming to assess
-Why this is an interesting topic
-Previous research (main psychology schools involved leading on to some specific examples)
-Explanation of a previous study that the present study is based on,
including its weaknesses
-How the present study attempts to rectify these problems
-Null and Alternative Hypotheses

Can anyone think of anything glaringly obvious that i have left out, I really feel it shouldnt be this easy! If not please reply and say no so I feel better!

Reply 1
Sounds fine to me. If you're worried about the length maybe you could expand on it a bit by making sure you have described the 'background research' & 'how the current study aims to build on this' parts in enough detail to be sure that the reader is fully aware? Word limits are more of a guide than a target, it's much better to be succinct than to waffle on to fill space. Trust your judgement and if it seems right just leave it how it is! Good luck :smile:
andi2036
Im a second year psychology student, so I need to make sure my lab report is good!

The topic is animal phobias and the study is aimed at deciphering whether there is a relationship between ugliness (of an animal) and fear of animals using partial correlation to control for effects of percieved harmfulness.

I feel my introduction must have something huge missing because I am finding it WAY too easy to get everything within the 550 word limit for the intro. Usually I have so much to get in it is ridiculously hard.

I have these sections in my intro:
-Brief statement of what the study is aiming to assess
-Why this is an interesting topic
-Previous research (main psychology schools involved leading on to some specific examples)
-Explanation of a previous study that the present study is based on,
including its weaknesses
-How the present study attempts to rectify these problems
-Null and Alternative Hypotheses

Can anyone think of anything glaringly obvious that i have left out, I really feel it shouldnt be this easy! If not please reply and say no so I feel better!

OP, you have included some very strange topics in your intro which should not really be there. In particular, you have included discussion about the study you have completed which really does not belong in the introduction!! This kind of topic belongs in the discussion and the discussion only (e.g. AFTER your methods and results, it doesn't make chronological sense otherwise).

Essentially, your introduction needs triangular directionality. That is to say, it should be an introduction to the coherent body of research that has already been done which starts very broad, slowly filtering down to the more specific to come to your hypothesis at the end of your introduction where a short rationale can be included. This research must be from the school of psychology that your hypothesis belongs to, don't swap back and forth from say, behaviorism to cognitive.

You should NOT be discussing downfalls or rectification of problems here. This belongs at the end of the discussion section. Has your department asked for you to do this? This isn't how journal articles are written, which is essentially what you are practicing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
OP, you have included some very strange topics in your intro which should not really be there. In particular, you have included discussion about the study you have completed which really does not belong in the introduction!! This kind of topic belongs in the discussion and the discussion only (e.g. AFTER your methods and results, it doesn't make chronological sense otherwise).

Essentially, your introduction needs triangular directionality. That is to say, it should be an introduction to the coherent body of research that has already been done which starts very broad, slowly filtering down to the more specific to come to your hypothesis at the end of your introduction where a short rationale can be included. This research must be from the school of psychology that your hypothesis belongs to, don't swap back and forth from say, behaviorism to cognitive.

You should NOT be discussing downfalls or rectification of problems here. This belongs at the end of the discussion section. Has your department asked for you to do this? This isn't how journal articles are written, which is essentially what you are practicing.

The topic of rectifying problems refers to how previous research will be improved by the present study, not how succesful the present study has been in doing that.

That topic was actually listed in the lab report guide given to us by the person who will be marking it, so i guess even if its wrong its worth putting it in just to make them happy!

I thought it does kind of filter down though, if you notice it starts off with the general topic, talks about previous research, then focuses on the main study being used to construct the present one, then goes on to explain why the present study has been chosen, without talking about how it will be carried out/analysed.

Would you say brief discussion of PREVIOUS research belongs in the discussion then?

Thanks for taking the trouble to look through it! Ive submitted it already but its always good to think about how to improve.

Latest

Trending

Trending