The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
On another note...I have a snow afternoon and was rather hoping that Irwin Mitchell would have opened their applications by now so I could get to it.

Was supposed to be going to the Eversheds open evening in Leeds but it got cancelled.
Reply 21
Original post by Lell
Well firstly don't make anything up! You might get asked at interview and it will be embarassing when you don't know what you're talking about.

On the other hand don't be too honest-don't write 'I like going to clubs and meeting birds' or the such!

What do you do for hobbies? Anything extraordinary? I'm into marathon running so I use that as my 'interest'.

Original post by hmaus
Yes I had my interview but haven't heard anything yet. Really not sure whether it will be a yes or not - some parts seemed to go well but a few questions were a bit dodgy. They definitely seemed to be doing the "good cap, bad cop" routine and their reactions to some things on my CV slightly surprised me, but I think I justified my choices well so we'll see... Anyway it was a mixture of questions about work experience, uni, why law, why slaughters, current affairs. They do really push you on some points though and you definitely need to know your stuff on current affairs Qs as they keep probing if you try to get away with vague answers! The topic I got was alright but on one question I backed down and agreed with the "good cop" then thought oh no, they probably wanted to see how far I would defend my point of view!

Thanks for that! I guess I'll really need to prepare it well.

My interview is quite late. I spoke to them on the phone two days ago and they told me that they finished the first round of TC interviews. Now they are going to focus on VCs, so those that applied should hear from them soon. Afterwards will be another round of TC interviews (including me).

Original post by hmaus
Didn't get TC with Travers - not surprised at all and not bothered.

Also received a rejection from Freshfields :frown: Really disappointed. I called them and they gave me some good feedback which I think will be helpful for other interviews. Apparently everything was good especially written exercises, commercial understanding and motivation to do law but they said I wasn't confident enough and I should have been a bit more passionate and persuasive. They said I was good all round but should have made more of some of my skills e.g. emphasised team work a bit more and other people stood out more in some areas.

I am quite a reserved person generally so might have to lay everything on a bit thicker in other interviews! Am quite gutted but at least the feedback was something that makes sense to me and I can try to change it.

Told my current boss who couldn't believe it and said FBD have "shot themselves in the foot" by not taking me, haha.

Oh well - you win some, you lose some I suppose!

Your boss is absolutely right! They can only blame themselves, it's the right attitude. :wink:

Admittantly I am quite keen on Freshfields too. Let's see how it goes. I've only submitted my application 1.5 weeks ago and places may have already filled up.

However, the amount of interviews you received clearly shows that you are a strong candidate. Hopefully you'll receive other invites for interviews soon! Best of luck!
Reply 23
Original post by hmaus
Yes I had my interview but haven't heard anything yet. Really not sure whether it will be a yes or not - some parts seemed to go well but a few questions were a bit dodgy. They definitely seemed to be doing the "good cap, bad cop" routine and their reactions to some things on my CV slightly surprised me, but I think I justified my choices well so we'll see... Anyway it was a mixture of questions about work experience, uni, why law, why slaughters, current affairs. They do really push you on some points though and you definitely need to know your stuff on current affairs Qs as they keep probing if you try to get away with vague answers! The topic I got was alright but on one question I backed down and agreed with the "good cop" then thought oh no, they probably wanted to see how far I would defend my point of view!

Anyway, I found the interview experiences VERY interesting - the atmospheres of the three firms were very different and not really what I was expecting.

I really really loved Freshfields more than I expected and think the interview went quite well so am hopeful about that. Will be gutted if they don't take me as I felt like I got on well with everyone I met and and seemed to make a good impression. Their questions and assessments seemed more relevant than at the other firms and they were genuinely interested in my opinions and experiences, which I certainly can't say for Travers Smith! Was quite shocked at the narrow-mindedness and downright weirdness of Travers and the partner who interviewed me didn't read my application form properly and has some very strange ideas. Don't want to give too many details in case I out myself but he really irritated me and gave a terrible impression of the firm. If they offer me a TC (which I doubt!) I won't accept it.

I also have a TC interview with Travers Smith coming up. Reading this is slightly worrying! Can you give more detail on the content of the interview? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Reply 24
LPC work is getting in the way :frown: Got my business mock back today and I was pleased with the grade.

Aiming to get three applications done before Christmas. I went to an open day on Monday so I'm quite keen to get the application for that firm done while everything is still fresh in my head. They gave us two applications and asked us to comment-it's helpful to know what sort of standard to aim for in these things.
Reply 25
Eek GDL work- are you at CoL? I remember Pfp coursework being due about this time last year...

I'm not in college until next Wednesday when I have my advocacy exam. So I'm going to use today and tomorrow and possibly Sunday to do applications then focus on next week's work on Monday. Christmas is so close it's scary, then it will be January and deadlines and exams will be looming :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Preparing for Practice-CoL GDL module :smile:

Thanks, not done much prep yet but it's best to do it closer to the time so it's fresh in my head. Job applications is the task for the weekend!
Reply 27
invited for a TC interview at Slaughter and May but the format has been amended. They now do a written case study as well as the 1 hour partner interview. I'll be applying for Travers Smith which I've heard great things about.

c
Reply 28
Original post by hmaus
The written exercise is not really a case study, you just have to write an email with a short summary.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'm a non law graduate and only applying to Travers Smith and Slaughter and May so my will have to wait and see if my look in on Corporate law will become my career.

Have you heard back from slaughter and may?
Reply 29
Original post by hmaus

Original post by hmaus
Yeah it was a rejection unfortunately but I wasn't too surprised as I didn't feel it went as well as the Freshfields one.

Why are you only applying to those two?

I'm impressed, seems like you've been got loads of applications in already. I've just started looking and trying to brace myself for the long road ahead.

Can you reecomend any good books to read or internet sites which would help me with legal job interview techniques. I need to really build up my profile to make it stand out. I think I have many of the vital ingrediants and I am confident of my own skills etc. but it is presenting them to the interviwer/assesor which is going to be the hard part!

Good luck with your applications.
Reply 30
Original post by hmaus

Original post by hmaus
Thanks.

Yeah I have done quite a few as I wanted to try and up my chances of getting something early on in the recruitment cycle. Apart from the three interviews I haven't heard anything from anywhere else yet though - just looked on my list and am waiting on 9 firms now and there are still a few more that I definitely want to apply to, but I have to be in the right mood to do it...

Not sure I am the right person to be advising about interviews since mine obviously didn't get me anywhere! :wink: Wikijobs is a good site to find out about the kind of questions certain firms ask and the format their interviews take, but I'm not really sure where would be good for general technique tips apart from checking the individual firms' websites to see what in particular they want you to show. Anyway, my main tip is be confident and hopefully I will follow this advice next time too :biggrin: You could also go to your uni career service and arrange some mock interviews and also see if you can get to any firm open days where they do application workshops and tell you what they're looking for in the candidates.

Thanks for that, I'll check wikijobs out. I know everybody is different and everybody has their own way of doing things, but generally how long do you spend preparing for interviews? Also, besides researching what the requirements are and the background to the firm, what other areas should one look at/research to improve their chances?

Mock interviews also sounds good, I had never thought of that.
Reply 31
I'm off to Pinsent Masons in 2013 :smile: I did a vac scheme with them over summer and loved it, and was so excited to get an offer. I can't wait to start at CoL next year!

hmaus, I find it quite interesting what you say about Freshfields - you've had almost the same experience as I had with my vac scheme interview last year. They said the written exercise and the case study with the partners was really good, but in my more general interview I wasn't quite convincing enough. I was really disheartened not to get it, but having then done a VS at Pinsents, which I loved, I'm a great believer in karma now. Keep at it, you'll have a TC before you know it.
Original post by *soph*
I'm off to Pinsent Masons in 2013 :smile: I did a vac scheme with them over summer and loved it, and was so excited to get an offer. I can't wait to start at CoL next year!

Congrats! :biggrin:
Reply 33
oh my...am just applying for a summer or easter placement @ the moment...but reading your stories about interviews is seriously scaring the crap out me.....now am so nervous about appling to mere placements. Anyway guys, could you help me out?

If you were asked......"Do you have 340 UCAS points (or equivalent) at A Level" and you did 3 alevels(ABC) plus one AS( in which you got A)

does this mean you got 300 points at A level OR 360 points?

PLIZZZZZZZZ help..ASAP.pliz
Reply 34
Original post by passenger17a
Congrats! :biggrin:

Oh my congs :smile:. am just applying for their summer vacation schemes (fingers crossed)..Any advice please? i would appreciate it very much.
Original post by k**
Oh my congs :smile:. am just applying for their summer vacation schemes (fingers crossed)..Any advice please? i would appreciate it very much.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that but I'd listen to hmaus because it sounds reasonable to contact the firm directly. Grades are very important for vac schemes and open days but don't give up if you don't meet all requirements. If you have some outstanding extracurricular activities or a well-rounded personality you should still try. :wink:
Reply 36
Friend got a TC offer of Clifford Chance! SO SO SO jealous.
Reply 37
Original post by hmaus
Not sure how this was possible, as applications don't even open until 1st January... :confused:

I've no idea of the app. process, she's a final year at durham, did her VC their last year (2nd year) and has an offer! She's on the Clifford Chance Graduate Facebook page, and in the photos at the uni presentations...
Reply 38
Original post by hmaus
Sorry, wasn't trying to say I didn't believe you! :smile: Was just curious how she managed this, as I am thinking of applying but can't until 1st Jan. Wondered if she had some kind of connections, but if she already did a VS then that must have changed the applicication process I guess. Well done to her, anyway!

I just got an invite to an assessment day at CMS Cameron McKenna :biggrin: Need to log in and check when they are.

Oh don't worry, I wasn't thinking that either i just explained the situation so you could clarify how she got it! Yeah she did a VS and i've just heard her dad is minted and in the legal proffesion some way or another so he probably had his influence in there somewhere!

Congratulations for CMS! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Organised my interview for S+M but its three months away but its good as it gives me time to convince them why I want to work for them.

Will apply to Travers Smith as I get closer to my S+M interview because they are unlikely to take that long to invite and complete the process (obviously it depends on whether they decide to invite me but you get what I mean :P!!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending