The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2013

I haven't seen a thread for this yet.

Who else is applying for a 2013 TC?

A few firms are already accepting applications and I've submitted one so far. Still considering some others.

Thought it might be nice to have a TC version of the vacation scheme thread for some moral support!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who have you applied to?

I figured I'd wait till I've sumbitted a few assignments and received some marks back before I start.
Reply 2
Walker Morris
Cobbetts
Burges Salmon
Pinsent Masons
Olswang
Bates Wells and Braithwaite
Wragge and Co
Bond Pearce

So far. Hoping to bash out as many apps as poss. I have more firms on my list but tis not with me atm...
Reply 3
Oh sorry no haha those are just my definites so far. Done one app for a firm in Yorkshire and I'm working on WM atm :smile: I think Cobbetts/Wragge are my favourites though.
Reply 4
Hey everyone, I've got a quick question:

I'm a recent non-law grad from a top London uni. I just missed the first and have already completed a VS with a MC firm.

However, the reason I missed the first was a fairly disastrous showing on the dissertation. There were some mitigating personal issues but I'd rather not use them or elaborate. Until I screwed the big D with a 2.2, I was on 70s for pretty much everything, including very high marks for a 2nd year mini-dissertation.

I'm currently in the process of applying to MC and other top London and US firms for a TC. Though I still managed a 69 overall, is my 59 dissertation likely to lead to many rejections out of hand? I have a feeling this will be the case with MC, but if anyone else has any insight it would be much appreciated.
Reply 5
I just missed the first and have already completed a VS with a MC firm.

69% is still very good and it sounds like your marks have been consistently high. The dissertation is a blip that you will be asked about at interview. Be prepared to have either genuinely compelling mitigation story or freely admit to mistakes and what you have learnt from them. Worst thing would be to offer weak excuses.

My dissertation was my lowest mark in two years but this did not stop me getting a TC from a firm who care a lot about academics.

good luck
Reply 6
Original post by hmaus
Have you looked at the Cobbetts application form? Their extra-curricular section is quite impractical with this bizarre system of drop-down options... Loads of my activities don't fit into their narrow categories. :confused:

Yeah I'm finding it a tad confusing. I mean, do I put in my grade 2 in guitar from 1997? Lol. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst application forms I've seen.

(but I like the look of the firm so I'll tolerate it!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lell
Yeah I'm finding it a tad confusing. I mean, do I put in my grade 2 in guitar from 1997? Lol. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the worst application forms I've seen.

(but I like the look of the firm so I'll tolerate it!)

Ha, I actually put down what grades I got up to (slightly higher than Grade 2 though!) for two instruments I used to play! Got a VS assessment day too (2009) but don't know if that had anything to do with it. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey guys, I want to apply for TC's this year, but wondered at what point most people normally put forward their applications, and whether applications submitted towards the end of the cycle are disadvantaged.
Reply 9
Good luck hmaus :smile:
well done!!
Reply 11
Thanks!
Another interview (Travers Smith)

Well, you're obviously doing something right with interviews for Slaughters, Freshfields, Norton Rose and Travers.

You blamed your Eversheds rejection on the test - it could be that they realised you were very unlikely to be going there.

I know you would want to count your chickers etc. but it might be worth thinking about you would view offers from these places. In a weird way, your first offer puts a lot of pressure on you.
Original post by hmaus
Another interview (Travers Smith) :biggrin:

What's your background (broadly) Hmaus? i.e. is it the academics or the work experience doing the job?
I don't have an interview for Norton Rose - I haven't applied there!

Sorry got you confused with billybob in the VS thread in the heat of the moment!

Good luck with the interviews
Original post by hmaus
Thought I would revive my TC thread as I have another interview! :biggrin:

Slaughters interview in a couple of weeks and now an invite from Freshfields! I only applied three days ago - so pleased!

Hi!

Did you yet have your S&M interview? Received my invite today and would love to share some thoughts. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Bit of advice needed. Basically I have a Winter VS coming up soon, but was wondering if I should send off TS applications before and just mention it, or wait until after?
Reply 17
pliz need you guyz HELP...big tym
am applying for this summer workplacement; what should i write for interests....should i be honest?
Reply 18
Original post by jasonm
Bit of advice needed. Basically I have a Winter VS coming up soon, but was wondering if I should send off TS applications before and just mention it, or wait until after?

Send them off now if the firms are likely to be interviewing before Xmas for their TCs. But they're likely to be a firm that interviews in the New Year, you might as well send it off afterwards.
Reply 19
Original post by k**
pliz need you guyz HELP...big tym
am applying for this summer workplacement; what should i write for interests....should i be honest?

Well firstly don't make anything up! You might get asked at interview and it will be embarassing when you don't know what you're talking about.

On the other hand don't be too honest-don't write 'I like going to clubs and meeting birds' or the such!

What do you do for hobbies? Anything extraordinary? I'm into marathon running so I use that as my 'interest'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending