The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Replies - How long did it take for you?

Hey there guys and gals :smile: just wondering the general time it took for offers to be received by people and when they were received? Does Durham wait until January or start straight away? That sort of thing. Maybe we could compile it into a wiki as well for future applicants to use lol because I would have found that useful but there was nothing that I knew of to look at.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's done by dept. but seems to vary a lot even within them. I didn't get my offer till january even though I applied in October, whilst I know others who applied later and got offers before Christmas :dontknow:.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Mithra
It's done by dept. but seems to vary a lot even within them. I didn't get my offer till january even though I applied in October, whilst I know others who applied later and got offers before Christmas :dontknow:.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess it's really done on an individual basis then. It's better to know that it varied than not to know anything tbh. I'm putting you down as a January offer then :biggrin:.
Reply 3
Billy Bryant
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess it's really done on an individual basis then. It's better to know that it varied than not to know anything tbh. I'm putting you down as a January offer then :biggrin:.

It seems that this year there may be a bit less delay, as apparently the results are going straight to UCAS before college allocation.

Previously you had to wait whilst the colleges bickered about which one got you, even if the uni (well, department) had decided to definitely give you an offer eventually. That shouldn't happen now, I suppose. Of course, the department may still take a long time to decide, and some departments have a reputation for that.
Reply 4
dring
Of course, the department may still take a long time to decide, and some departments have a reputation for that.

I'm assuming law is one of these departments?
Reply 5
Took ages then they rejected me. By then I had a UCL offer so it didn't matter anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
dring
It seems that this year there may be a bit less delay, as apparently the results are going straight to UCAS before college allocation.

Previously you had to wait whilst the colleges bickered about which one got you, even if the uni (well, department) had decided to definitely give you an offer eventually. That shouldn't happen now, I suppose. Of course, the department may still take a long time to decide, and some departments have a reputation for that.

Ok that sounds better lol at least if you're rejected or accepted you will know rather than waiting around.

Which departments have that reputation btw? What sort of Reputation does Chemistry have? If you know :smile: Please and thanks.

Formica
Took ages then they rejected me. By then I had a UCL offer so it didn't matter anyway.

Yea i'm sure the early offers would be on my mind a lot longer than the later ones which is the advantage they get but because I actually stayed in Van Mildert for a couple of nights, I can't really see another offer (apart from Oxford) coming close to the excitement I would feel with Durham lol. Both of those two are brilliant, not sure I'll get a place at either but all I can do is try.
Reply 7
Billy Bryant

Out of interest - why do you prefer Durham to Oxford? :wink:
Reply 8
Billy Bryant
Ok that sounds better lol at least if you're rejected or accepted you will know rather than waiting around.

Which departments have that reputation btw? What sort of Reputation does Chemistry have? If you know :smile: Please and thanks.

I don't really know, other than that I vaguely remember all the science departments having this reputation. Physics certainly did a few years ago. That's not to say that other departments have no such reputation, I just don't know much about them.
Reply 9
BookWormShanti
Out of interest - why do you prefer Durham to Oxford? :wink:

lol someone else asked this just the other day XD

I just found the complete atmosphere at Durham brilliant. I stayed there for two nights so I got a feel for the palce. Met some current students and some people wanting to apply. It was great tbh, everyone was so friendly. It was so different from London. I loved it. The course at Oxford is probably better for me though as I'm interested in research afterwards and Durham is not really well known for research (though it is by no means bad) plus reputation. It would not be an easy choice in the unlikely situation of me having offers from both.
I waited til the end of March. :frown:
I applied in november and got an offer in mid january (was sent to college the first week of january i think)
edit: for maths
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks for this it has been really helpful.
Thanks for this guys, so useful. Gonna probably be a bit quicker this year from what i've heard because of the change in system? i.e you dont need to wait till your allocated a college before you know if you've got an offer. It seems they tend to leave it quite late though.
Reply 14
Well I applied on September 23rd I believe, they sent me an acknowledgement e-mail on September 28th and just yesterday they sent me another e-mail saying "Dear Carlos,

Your application is currently being considered and we will contact you with a decision shortly."

So I guess by shortly they mean a week? Well, I shall inform you when i get an offer/rejection.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Predark
Well I applied on September 23rd I believe, they sent me an acknowledgement e-mail on September 28th and just yesterday they sent me another e-mail saying "Dear Carlos,

Your application is currently being considered and we will contact you with a decision shortly."

So I guess by shortly they mean a week? Well, I shall inform you when i get an offer/rejection.

I don't think there's a good reason to think that. That's what it *could* mean, but it also could just be a formality that's not really meaningful.
Reply 16
dring
I don't think there's a good reason to think that. That's what it *could* mean, but it also could just be a formality that's not really meaningful.

One can hope :smile:
Original post by Predark

Hahaha a week....that means any time before April really.
In most departments, they read applications as they come in, give offers to those students they absolutely love and would give an offer to in any year (would be top of the cohort in any year), reject those who don't have a chance of getting an offer (predicted DDD at A level, wrong subjects, not good enough to be in with a chance of getting an offer in any cohort), and keep the rest of the applications until January so that everybody who applies before the January 15th deadline can be assessed fairly.
Do they deal with mature students in same way?
My application was processed on October 12th, and my AES updated this morning to tell me that it had been sent to a college. I'll report back when I hear!

Quick Reply

Latest