The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you asking an internet forum for advice on how to dress yourself?
Am I the only one who actually likes it cold and frosty? :colondollar:

Anyway, I'd suggest lots of layers, a thinsulate hat, and gloves.
As for keeping warm inside - get a duvet with a high TOG number, hot water bottle, slippers etc etc.
Radiators ftw, plus wear some more layers. Simples.
I've already had the heating on in my student house... I bought a new duvet and extra blanket. it's really awkward wearing **** loads of layers in the house. but thermals ftw. and I adore my buff, I can sleep with that on happily :smile:
I'm already wearing my boots and winter jacket with 10000x layers underneath.
I hate living north :stomp:

I find that a hat and scarf is the secret to warmth. A lot of people think a jacket and gloves is enough. It's not :fyi:
Hand warmers and ski socks too are good things to have. And if you don't want to buy a whole new duvet, just stock up on blankets, but put them under the duvet, not on top :smile:
Long Johns are the way to go:

Reply 27
py0alb
Make the most of it, climate change will significantly reduce the likelihood of a cold winter over the next 50 years.

I seriously doubt that. The planet is not warming because of humans, it's all part of natural cycles that Earth goes through.
Reply 28
FFS, I'm gonna get banged by these uni halls... as soon as I open the curtains the room temperature drops. I need to get a onesie.
rainbowbex
I've already had the heating on in my student house...

Me too. The one downside to the cold is you spend a **** load on gas and electricity :frown:
Reply 30
loz957
I seriously doubt that. The planet is not warming because of humans, it's all part of natural cycles that Earth goes through.

how come its going in the wrong direction then?
Jingers
FFS, I'm gonna get banged by these uni halls... as soon as I open the curtains the room temperature drops. I need to get a onesie.

Primark are selling onesies!:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Reply 33
Ty for asking this question, OP. I will *hopefully* be moving to London next year and have never lived in a cold place. All I have are summer clothes :frown:
Get people round.
Reply 35
The one thing that most people get backwards is the idea that extra clothes in bed = warmer.
Student2806
Me too. The one downside to the cold is you spend a **** load on gas and electricity :frown:

yup and I live with someone who games 24-7 doesn't seem to appreciate the cost of electricity.
rainbowbex
yup and I live with someone who games 24-7 doesn't seem to appreciate the cost of electricity.

Will you keep me warm? :colone:
It's not that cold in the UK. In Switzerland we regularly have whole weeks where it doesn't go above -10. The coldest we've ever had it as far as I can remember was -15, but that's only because I think that's as low as our car thermometre goes. I can attest that -15 is jolly cold. And still it's not that cold compared to plenty of other places.

Anywho, keeping warm: layers, lots of layers. Invest in a good pair of winter boots if you're prone to cold feet, and mittens are better than gloves for keeping your hands warm. Hats are essential, because you loose the most heat through your head.

I have to say I am already walking around wearing a duffle coat, and my scarf and gloves-at least in the mornings and when it's not sunny. We've had some bitterly cold days already in Cardiff. I only haven't resorted to seeking out a winter hat yet because I've got a cap that keeps my head fairly warm (although it doesn't do much for my ears), and I thought a woolly hat might be overdoing it in October...
Reply 39
py0alb
The one thing that most people get backwards is the idea that extra clothes in bed = warmer.

That would be a logical assumption, but is it not true?

On the topic, we play a flat rate for our electricity, so that's heating sorted!

My advice to everyone would be to wear some decent footwear and put away those ridiculous plimsoles! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending