The Student Room Group

Which university (of my choices) is best for International relations/security degrees

I'm applying for 2011 to international relations/security degrees (I'm a Eu mature student, 23 years old). My choices are (still waiting offers):
- Aston University, Birmingham (A80)
International Relations and Public Policy & Management (LL2K)

- University of Bath (B16)
Politics with International Relations (L290)

- The University of Hull (H72)
War and Security Studies (L252)

- The University of Salford (S03)
Security Studies and Arabic (LQ44)

- University of Westminster (W50)
International Relations and Chinese (LT2C)

The better choices seem to be Bath or Aston, from what I read on Internet. What do you think is best for International relations? I'm really undecided between the two.
I'm particularly interested in the placement year (especially if abroad): it's one of the main reason I'm applying to england universities (I'm Italian and we don't have work placement year or "sandwich" courses/degrees in Italy).
In reality I was more interested in doing a war/security degree but I think I will leave Salford and Hull as last choices (in case I don't get an offer from Bath or Aston) and opt instead for a more "generic" international relations degree. Salford because I have heard horrible things about the city itself (very very rough and seems quite low in the university rankings), and Hull because it offers only 6 months of internship.

I must admit that Salford degree fits perfectly what I was looking in a degree: war/security course and a full year of working placement in an arabic country. The problem is that I have heard VERY VERY BAD things about the city of Salford itself and it also seems quite low in the university rankings. I heard that you can't walk safely alone or you risk getting mugged or assaulted. I like walking alone and exploring the city or shops (and don't use car) so I fear Salford isn't safe enough. Is it true?

Westminster is ABSOLUTELY my last choice (just in case I don't receive offers from the others), because it offers only 1 year of academic placement in a foreign university and not working placement/internship.

Instead I would prefer to do a whole year of working placement.
Both Bath and Aston offer 1 year of working placement. What would you suggest between those two? Which is better for International relations degrees?

Being an oversea student I can't really visit them in person. So i have to rely on others' opinions or reviews on internet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Bath is certainly the best in terms of reputation.
Why not change from westminster to bradford or keele?

Bradford and Keele have a reputation for security studies degrees. Plus theie entry requirements aren't too high to achieve - around BBC-BBB. Have a check. They would be a better last choice option as they woudls till give you good degree and their reputaiton is better than westminster. :smile:

If your grades are verygood, try King's College London for War studies.

I have not applied to uni myself, but I am just advicing based on my experience (in reading tonnes of TSR thread) on this website.

Oh, and if you want more choices for IR, look at my sig. I am also applying ot few unis that do IR - Royal Holloway is a good one although it doesn't offer a work placement year I dont think.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Bath is the most prestigious.
Reply 4
I heard Bath is pretty good, and I know a guy doing a masters in IS here.
All Bath undergrad degrees have the option of a placement year (making it a 4 year 'sandwich' degree), so I'd definitely have bath as your firm choice
Reply 5
street.lovin'
Why not change from westminster to bradford or keele?

Bradford and Keele have a reputation for security studies degrees. Plus theie entry requirements aren't too high to achieve - around BBC-BBB. Have a check. They would be a better last choice option as they woudls till give you good degree and their reputaiton is better than westminster. :smile:

If your grades are verygood, try King's College London for War studies.

I have not applied to uni myself, but I am just advicing based on my experience (in reading tonnes of TSR thread) on this website.

Oh, and if you want more choices for IR, look at my sig. I am also applying ot few unis that do IR - Royal Holloway is a good one although it doesn't offer a work placement year I dont think.

OUch, thanks, but I already sent my application a few weeks ago so too late to change.
I must admit that if I had known about Bradford I would have surely applied for it. What is strange is that I looked on UCAS course search and it seemed like a normal 3 year degree, instead on their website I see that you can optionally choose also a 4 year with placement.

Thanks, anyway to everybody.
It seems that I'll have Bath as my first choice then (if they give me an offer). From what you all say it seems the best in terms of reputation and placements.
(edited 13 years ago)
andrespi
OUch, thanks, but I already sent my application a few weeks ago so too late to change.
I must admit that if I had known about Bradford I would have surely applied for it. What is strange is that I looked on UCAS course search and it seemed like a normal 3 year degree, instead on their website I see that you can optionally choose also a 4 year with placement.

Thanks, anyway to everybody.
It seems that I'll have Bath as my first choice then (if they give me an offer). From what you all say it seems the best in terms of reputation and placements.

You might be able to change it though as they have not acknowledge. I dont know. This is also my first time applying. You should ifnd out. If you can change then go for it. :smile:

Edit: Hey I went on Google and find some stuffs out. You can change it within 14 days. If they uni has already ackowledged then you cant. But if they ahve not and its within two weeks since the application ahs been sent off then you can deffo change it! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
So does anybody knows if my specific choices (unis/degrees) usually interview applicants?
Just to know because being an oversea student, it would cost a huge amount of money to come just for an interview.

Latest