The Student Room Group

How important is a MFL with maths?

Just seen someone post about needing a modern foreign language at gcse to get in to UCL. How important is a MFL when studying maths in general. Do other universities have this requirement? I personally don't have a MFL from gcse but have fairly good gcse grades 2A*, 4.5 A and 4 B. Will my chances be lowered without a foreign language.
Reply 1
mike171193
Will my chances be lowered without a foreign language

i highly doubt it
Reply 2
From 2012 UCL want GCSE MFL for all courses. Were you offered the option?
Reply 3
EnVogue

I was offered spanish but chose not to do it, i'm not specifically interested in UCL. I was just wondering if any other universitys looks for an MFL. Ill probably look at ICL, Nottingham, Warwick, Bristol and possibly cambridge as a bit of risk. Maybe some others a little lower.
Reply 4
Bump. Question not really answered yet.
Reply 5
EnVogue

Where did you read thus?

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Vital, vital, vital, vital.....!
If you don't have an MFL gcse there is no way you should be allowed to do maths at uni......
Why haven't you got an MFL gcse? too hard?
The rigour of a language is very similar to the rigour of maths - you have to show you can do both - preferably at A or A*, too!
Don't worry about MFL at all, I highly highly doubt it will have any effect on your application. I took two MFL at GCSE and it didn't help me when applying to any universities. Not that I failed to get offers from all my chosen universities, just that there was no such MFL requirement.
Reply 8
Original post by MrFMaths
Vital, vital, vital, vital.....!
If you don't have an MFL gcse there is no way you should be allowed to do maths at uni......
Why haven't you got an MFL gcse? too hard?
The rigour of a language is very similar to the rigour of maths - you have to show you can do both - preferably at A or A*, too!

I hope your not being serious but it's a good point. The difficulty levels of an MFL shows probably does show capability of taking a difficult subject. I didn't do a language because i didn't really enjoy it. But is this actually a serious post, do you reckon it could be a disadvantage that i only have one language? I think my a level subjects will probably compensate for it though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
When I applied (well, had a meeting pre formal application) to Cambridge I didn't have a foreign language, which (back then) was a formal Cambridge university requirement. I was told "it makes life simpler if you have it, but if you don't, we can get an exemption". (In the end I did a quick Russian course and scraped a C).

So my guess is that if they want you, there's a pretty good chance they'll make an exception.
Reply 10
Original post by DFranklin
When I applied (well, had a meeting pre formal application) to Cambridge I didn't have a foreign language, which (back then) was a formal Cambridge university requirement. I was told "it makes life simpler if you have it, but if you don't, we can get an exemption". (In the end I did a quick Russian course and scraped a C).

So my guess is that if they want you, there's a pretty good chance they'll make an exception.

The only universities which actually require an MFL are UCL (2012) and Edinburgh as far as i know. I know Cambridge used too but do you think they still look for an MFL?
No, my point was that even the places that do ask for a MFL (as Cam did when I applied) can probably be flexible if they really want you.

Quick Reply

Latest