The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I liked it, just didn't understand it at all :biggrin:
Nope.
Reply 3
The_Lonely_Goatherd
I liked it, just didn't understand it at all :biggrin:

No offence but how can you like a film you cant understand? Even after reading the synopsis and bits became obvious I thought it was terrible.
If you believe the hype you're always disappointed, that goes for any film. I personally thought it was pretty good though, not mind-blowing, but it still left an impression on me.
I guess I saw it when it was just becoming a cult classic, so didn't have any expectations about it whatsoever, and I thought it was brilliant. I can't really pinpoint why I felt like that, I just did.
Aramiss18
No offence but how can you like a film you cant understand? Even after reading the synopsis and bits became obvious I thought it was terrible.

It had a giant bunny rabbit in it and I'm easily amused :biggrin:

Slightly more seriously: even though I didn't really understand it, I found the whole Sliding Doors-esque "if he'd been in his bedroom first time round, he would have died" thing interesting. I saw Donnie Darko before I saw Sliding Doors, so it was the first time a film had really got me thinking about stuff like that :yes:
Most films like that are overrated, but that doesn't make them bad.
I liked it a lot and I didn't think it was much highly rated enough to be classed as 'overrated'.
Reply 9
well yeah, i wouldn't personally join its cult following, but i still really enjoyed it and it gave me a lot to think about :smile:
Reply 10
I DISAGREE. Definitely my favourite film. :smile:
Aramiss18
No offence but how can you like a film you cant understand?

Because you enjoy the experience? For example, it's impossible to fully understand Primer on the first watching, and yet it's only to be expected that you'll form an opinion on whether you like it or not.

On topic; I can understand why some people may not like it, but I found it to be a great film with very strong acting performances. Although I didn't think it was as good as some of Lynch's work.
Aramiss18
Am I the only one who thinksDonnie Darko is massively overrated and actually quite rubbish?

Why do you think it's overrated and rubbish?
Some people say it's David Lynch for dummies (I read that somewhere anyway) but while I enjoyed Mulholland Drive and probably will like Lynch's work more than Kelly's as I'll dig through his filmography, I can say I still like Donnie Darko... Don't really know why, but I like the experience and how well it mixes many genres together.
Fantastic film.
ignorance ≠ bliss
Reply 16
I've always thought it was terrible
Reply 17
I love the feel of the whole film. The camera angles, the lighting, the soundtrack, the vague but powerful storyline. Very original, wish there were more films like it.

Brick is also quite good, requiem for a dream as well. They've all got something I can't put my finger on
I love Donnie Darko. Such a funny film, too. (Here I don't mean strange but that I found it humourous.) Anyway, I'd say if anything that it's underrated.
It's a great film. The hype was a bit too crazy for a while, but now it's calmed down it's not overrated. The structure is pretty intricate and I loved how each character had their own purpose in the chain of events. The original cut is better than the directors cut though.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending