The Student Room Group

UCL DON'T require a MFL!

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Candidates who have not studied a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE level will be able to study a language as part of their student selected component while on the programme. It will be compulsory. Not having studied a foreign language will not disadvantage an application"

:woo: :woo: :woo:

They have sense. they realise that making a gcse subject choice 3 years ago should not impact on you now. You will have to do a language course along side the medicine course , but nothing will become of not having one.:woo: :woo:

Scroll to see replies

sixthformer
[';./

They say that, but in reality they have so many applicants for medicine, that it makes their life and job easier to reject someone for not having a MFL compared to someone that does have it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
identity_unknown
They say that, but in reality they have so many applicants for medicine, that it makes their life and job easier to reject someone for not having a MFL compared to someone that does have it.

Who should i believe, the admissions of UCL or someone who is assuming things?

There is a compulsory language course to do anyway:P

Would they reject someone with a better GCSE profile, better A/S module scores, and a great ps and ref for not having been allowed to do a short course in GCSE italian which will impact wether they become a medical doctor or not?

up to you what makes sense.
Reply 3
identity_unknown

PS: i know a total of 3 languages. i just don't have a 'gcse qualification' in short course french.
sixthformer

Would they reject someone with a better GCSE profile, better A/S module scores, and a great ps and ref for not having been allowed to do a short course in GCSE italian which will impact wether they become a medical doctor or not?

Universities reject excellent candidates on the basis of a pointless exam i.e. the UKCAT, so yes, I can imagine them rejecting good applicants for not having a MFL at GCSE (if it's stated in their prospectus that it's preferable). :smile:
sixthformer

Oh my god use a bit of common sense. For UCL medicine, pretty much EVERYONE has a good GCSE profile, good AS marks, a great PS and great reference! If all your applicants are excellent, you'll use whatever you can to discriminate.

Now stop ranting just because you're worried you won't get into UCL Medicine. Arguing with us won't change anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
identity_unknown
Universities reject excellent candidates on the basis of a pointless exam i.e. the UKCAT, so yes, I can imagine them rejecting good applicants for not having a MFL at GCSE (if it's stated in their prospectus that it's preferable). :smile:

The UKCAT is a very important exam. i will fail it in probably but still, it differentiates and allows those who didn't have one millions pound to get tutored in A levels a chance to show they have natural aptitude and original and rational thinking skills

The UKCAT and BMAT are multiple times more important than 9+GCSE'S let alone a short course in french.
Reply 7
innerhollow
Oh my god use a bit of common sense. For UCL medicine, pretty much EVERYONE has a good GCSE profile, good AS marks, a great PS and great reference! If all your applicants are excellent, you'll use whatever you can to discriminate.

Now stop ranting just because you're worried you won't get into UCL Medicine. Arguing with us won't change anything.

you missed out interview :wink:

I'm not ranting, i'm requesting people to stop putting others off from applying.
sixthformer
The UKCAT is a very important exam. i will fail it in probably but still, it differentiates and allows those who didn't have one millions pound to get tutored in A levels a chance to show they have natural aptitude and original and rational thinking skills

The UKCAT and BMAT are multiple times more important than 9+GCSE'S let alone a short course in french.

Important for the admissions selection process maybe, but not in determining who will and won't make a good doctor or dentist.
Reply 9
great, you should've had one anyway though. I always view people who didn't do a modern lang gcse less highly, but I suppose that's because it was compulsary at our school and the ones around me
sixthformer

I'm not ranting, i'm requesting people to stop putting others off from applying.

Why do you care so much? There are approximately 30 medical schools to apply to. I'm sure if someone really really really wants to go to UCL, they'll apply regardless of what a stranger says on a student forum. Obviously they will have done their own research on the entry requirements and will know whethr they fit the bill or not. :biggrin:
Reply 11
identity_unknown
Important for the admissions selection process maybe, but not in determining who will and won't make a good doctor or dentist.

True, i agree
but to distinguish candidates, a short course in french can't be compared to the UKCAT or BMAT
that was my only point:P
sixthformer
True, i agree
but to distinguish candidates, a short course in french can't be compared to the UKCAT or BMAT
that was my only point:P

I understand what you're saying, but most people will have done a MFL at GCSE. The school I went to was one of the worst in the country, yet it was still compulsory for us to do a MFL at GCSE. I wasn't putting you off applying, I'm only saying that the admission tutor will say lots of things when enquiring about entry requirement, but in reality, they may not stick to what they said previously before applying. I'm of to work now, good luck with the application. Bye.
Reply 13
SiaSiaSia
great, you should've had one anyway though. I always view people who didn't do a modern lang gcse less highly, but I suppose that's because it was compulsary at our school and the ones around me

I can speak three languages.

I was not offered the choice to do GCSE french.

was it my fault? I only realised you -may- need one at year 11, when i was told ... and i didn't know i wanted to do medicine, let alone medicine uni requirements.

My GCSE's were 7A* 2A and Distinctions in double award IT and double award business, not boasting, nothing to boast, just proving the point that i could have clearly handled a modern forgein language.
Reply 14
identity_unknown
I understand what you're saying, but most people will have done a MFL at GCSE. The school I went to was one of the worst in the country, yet it was still compulsory for us to do a MFL at GCSE. I wasn't putting you off applying, I'm only saying that the admission tutor will say lots of things when enquiring about entry requirement, but in reality, they may not stick to what they said previously before applying. I'm of to work now, good luck with the application. Bye.

Take care:smile:
sixthformer

Yeah, add interview and BMAT to that list. With 12 applicants per place or whatever, they'll have plenty of applicants excellent in all these areas.

Frankly I don't know what you're talking about. UCL website disagrees with you:

"Please be aware that from 2012 UCL will expect all UK applicants to offer a modern foreign language at GCSE or
equivalent."

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf

Who cares about whether it helps with a medical degree or profession? They ask for it, you should have it. End of story.

This thread really needs to be closed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
innerhollow
Yeah, add interview and BMAT to that list. With 12 applicants per place or whatever, they'll have plenty of applicants excellent in all these areas.

"Please be aware that from 2012 UCL will expect all UK applicants to offer a modern foreign language at GCSE or
equivalent."

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf

They ask for it, you should have it. End of story.

Candidates who have not studied a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE level will be able to study a language as part of their student selected component while on the programme. It will be compulsory. Not having studied a foreign language will not disadvantage an application.
"
Reply 17
innerhollow

equivalent."

They ask for it, you should have it. End of story.

Why do UCL want a mfl?
because they want a diverse university...
Thus, ACTUALLY learning a different language matters
which is why not having one is fine, you'll just have to do a mfl course
sixthformer

Candidates who have not studied a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE level will be able to study a language as part of their student selected component while on the programme. It will be compulsory. Not having studied a foreign language will not disadvantage an application.
"

We're in the 2010/2011 application cycle, (for which the medics' deadline has passed). UCL has specified this MFL requirement is for for 2012 entry onwards.

To be honest, I don't know what you hope to achieve. UCL has laid out its entry requirements for you, you're not going to gain anything by complaining about them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
innerhollow
We're in the 2010/2011 application cycle, (for which the medics' deadline has passed). UCL has specified this requirement is for for 2012 entry onwards.

To be honest, I don't know what you hope to achieve. UCL has laid out its entry requirements for you, you're not going to gain anything by complaining about them.

Go ahead, email them and quote me your reply

Latest

Trending

Trending