The Student Room Group

URGENT: Dropping out! (Then reapplying for next year)

I need advice sooner rather than later because if I drop out like now-ish I won't be in even more debt than I already am!

But basically I want to drop out for the following reasons:

- First and foremost - I'm on the wrong course.
I'm doing English Literature with Creative Writing atm but I am only enjoying the Creative Writing part. I KNOW I cannot survive with doing English Lit for 3 years so I'm going to end up with a 3rd or a fail due to the lack of passion/enjoyment :s-smilie: (P.S. I want to do Psychology with Creative Writing instead.)

- Secondly I haven't had a great start here, I'm finding it really lonely and I'm feeling very homesick. I haven't managed to really fit in anywhere or anything like that - I know it's only been a month but still it's made be really unmotivated when it comes to work.

- Lastly, and I think this is really important; I don't think I'm ready for University right now. I'm too lazy, I'm too disorganised, I'm not really taking the course seriously - I haven't read any of the texts we've been given and we've supposed to have read like 4 or 5 novels by now. I don't know who I am, I'm just a bundle of confusion, I'm so fickle - I'm always changing my mind about what I want and what I don't want to do and I just feel like I'm too immature at the moment to go on to Higher Education. - The reason why I went to Uni straight after college was because I felt there wasn't anything else for me to do, which is a terrible reason.

What are my options until next year? Go home, get a job I suppose and "find myself".

Am I at a disadvantage for taking a year out? I will be 19 when I start the 2011/12 year and only just 19 so I won't be majorly old or anything like that.
I took a year out but didn't drop out, just requested the university I had applied to to withdraw me and they did.
It SHOULD be a motivating factor; go travel, do some work, do useful things that will look good on your new personal statement and which you can write about, obviously.

I'm 19 and I'm certainly not too old, I've met people much older.
I think if you're unhappy, and not taking the work seriously, you have to drop out.. It's a waste of your time and your teachers' time, plus you've got to think about how bad it will look if you fail your degree, which, by what you've described, seems inevitable.

Maybe, if you like the uni you're at, you should ask to change course? If not, it's best for everyone if you bow out gracefully and reapply for something you really want to do :smile:
Reply 3
Mrs_Sylar
I need advice sooner rather than later because if I drop out like now-ish I won't be in even more debt than I already am!

But basically I want to drop out for the following reasons:

- First and foremost - I'm on the wrong course.
I'm doing English Literature with Creative Writing atm but I am only enjoying the Creative Writing part. I KNOW I cannot survive with doing English Lit for 3 years so I'm going to end up with a 3rd or a fail due to the lack of passion/enjoyment :s-smilie: (P.S. I want to do Psychology with Creative Writing instead.)

- Secondly I haven't had a great start here, I'm finding it really lonely and I'm feeling very homesick. I haven't managed to really fit in anywhere or anything like that - I know it's only been a month but still it's made be really unmotivated when it comes to work.

- Lastly, and I think this is really important; I don't think I'm ready for University right now. I'm too lazy, I'm too disorganised, I'm not really taking the course seriously - I haven't read any of the texts we've been given and we've supposed to have read like 4 or 5 novels by now. I don't know who I am, I'm just a bundle of confusion, I'm so fickle - I'm always changing my mind about what I want and what I don't want to do and I just feel like I'm too immature at the moment to go on to Higher Education. - The reason why I went to Uni straight after college was because I felt there wasn't anything else for me to do, which is a terrible reason.

What are my options until next year? Go home, get a job I suppose and "find myself".

Am I at a disadvantage for taking a year out? I will be 19 when I start the 2011/12 year and only just 19 so I won't be majorly old or anything like that.

I was in a similar position, but I reacted too late and wasted a year really.

Now I'm on a gap year and when I go back to Uni I'll be 21 :frown: beucase my birthday's at the start of academic year (Early september).

so my only advice is if it's the wrong course, act on it asap or you'll regret it and be like me on spending more time that i like on TSR!! :O

Just get a job and save if you can.

Latest

Trending

Trending