The Student Room Group

My A-level choices?

Hi,

Soon, I shall be applying for sixth form at Richard Huish and I think i have a pretty good idea on what I want to do now.
I wish to study medicine at university and I would like to know whether these are suitable choices and whether I should pick something else instead, in your own opinion.

Chemistry (Essential)
Biology (Essential)
English language and literature
French
Mathematics.

Now, from what I have read on the two main medical schools I would want to go to(Peninsula or Bristol as they are pretty close) You need AAA in Bio, chem and one other subject. Is mathematics essential? Personally, I would rather take something else other than this or would it be a good idea to keep this as an a-level (and maybe only take it to AS?)
Joshalos
Hi,

Soon, I shall be applying for sixth form at Richard Huish and I think i have a pretty good idea on what I want to do now.
I wish to study medicine at university and I would like to know whether these are suitable choices and whether I should pick something else instead, in your own opinion.

Chemistry (Essential)
Biology (Essential)
French
Mathematics.

Now, from what I have read on the two main medical schools I would want to go to(Peninsula or Bristol as they are pretty close) You need AAA in Bio, chem and one other subject. Is mathematics essential? Personally, I would rather take something else other than this or would it be a good idea to keep this as an a-level (and maybe only take it to AS?)

no, it isn't essential. you've got 4 good a levels (english lit would be better than combined, but still not weak), so you could pick basically whatever you wanted for number 5
Reply 2
TimmonaPortella
no, it isn't essential. you've got 4 good a levels (english lit would be better than combined, but still not weak), so you could pick basically whatever you wanted for number 5

I was originally going to pick literature but I realised that I enjoyed language as well (in terms of creative writing) and that literature may become a bit tedious. However, I may change my mind again and go back to literature (I do prefer reading!)
Reply 3
I took Biology, Chemistry and French A-levels. Maths is not necessary.

If you decide to keep French, have a look at the Medicine with European Studies degree at the University of Manchester / St Andrews; as well as studying for the medical degree, you have the chance to study medical French (or Spanish / German) and can undertake placements in Europe.
Joshalos
Hi,

Chemistry (Essential)
Biology (Essential)
French
Mathematics.

Those a-levels sound fine.
I dont know if mathermatics is essential but id say stick with it as its quite a good a-level to have.
Reply 5
Fine, no maths needed - nor is it any better than English or French.
Reply 6
What you have is fine! Don't do maths if you don't want to. You could even do 4 AS levels.
Reply 7
Howcome you're doing 5 AS? They sound fine to me!
Reply 8
Well, I would like to do 5! (: Plus the college I wish to go to advise that if you are predicted As and A*s (which I am) then you should try and do 5 AS with an outlook of completing at least 4 of those at A2.
I'm still not sure about Maths. I will see how it goes and if I don't like it, I am able to drop it or just complete to AS.
Originally Posted by Joshalus
I enjoyed language as well (in terms of creative writing)

Just to let you know that part of our AS literature is a creative writing piece based on something you read. So there is some creative writing involved in literature (well for WJEC anyways)
:smile:
Reply 10
Well, I will be going to their open evening on the 16th November so I will have to ask about what is included in each course.
Hmm, I'd be wary about taking 5 AS's. If I were you I'd drop one and take 4, unless you're extremely determined to take 5.
Everything seems fine to me! Now just go along with whatever u feel you would enjoy the most.
But be prepared to deal with a huge workload if u take 5! Ud rather get 4 A's than 3 A's and 2 B's :yep:
Reply 13
Only take 3!
You're asked for 3, so you may as well do better in 3 than try and do good in 5!
Reply 14
The unis ask for two sciences and an academic subject. I took English Lit and Maths just to make sure, but they were fine with Eng Lit. If you're really concerned, email or call up the unis to ask. The Medicine with Language courses are really interesting, but I was told they're really hard work with lots of contact hours. However if you think you could cope with it then go for it :p:
Also, don't hesitate to drop a weaker subject (if it isn't a science) at A2. You don't want to hinder your chances of getting those As by concentrating on another subject and exams.
Reply 15
I'm probably dropping maths and going to do a photography a-level as a kind of 'respite' from all my other academical subjects - plus, it had been a while since I have done any art (since year 9 infact) and I LOVE photography. I will only take it to AS though.
I'll also be contacting a couple universities by email - thanks for the idea, Adalira!

Latest