The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I ballsed up my AS' i got CDDEE and then at A2 I got BCCC and i had to work hard for that. it is possible to recover but dont expect A's unless you are exceptionally commited
KoalaKate
Well I think its rather commendable that the "you people" can perform badly in the first year for whatever reason, its not always a choice, then turn it around within the second year, and achieve good grades. By doing this the "you people" have in effect put in half the amount of effort of the people "trying really hard" and have come out with the same if not better grades. Id say that's worthy of a good university place, as it proves ability and tenacity, Id say a "you people" person is more worthy of a place in terms of academic intelligence than someone who has studied rather scrupulously, slaving over textbooks for two years.

By 'you people' - a phrase you clearly took offence to - I meant people exactly like you, who can't be assed, dont bother putting effort in, and then expect to be able to go to a good university (and whine about all this on an internet forum) What makes it even more pathetic if that you're trying to hide your grades from the uni's you want to go to.
If you dont try in your first year and get bad results, it proves that you're lazy, not dedicated or enthusiastic about your studies, academically inconsistant and you're probably more likely to drop out of uni, wasting taxpayers money.

Be realistic - whats the chance of you meeting an offer from a good university anyway? You're a loser, stop wasting everyone's time and get a job at Netto.
Muffinz
I got BBCD at AS, and I was disappointed. Thankfully my teachers believed in me enough to predict me AAA and I got a place to read English at Exeter (ended up with A*ABc and missed my place, but oh well). The important thing is, you can do it.

See, this. This is a great example!

Congratulations on getting the A*! And also pulling up your D grade! You still attained the same amount of UCAS points than you were predicted for.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
mathew551
See, this. This is a great example!

Congratulations on getting the A*! And also pulling up your D grade! You still attained the same amount of UCAS points than you were predicted for.

Yeah, my D is the A grade lol

Thank you :smile:
Reply 24
Jackster1234
By 'you people' - a phrase you clearly took offence to - I meant people exactly like you, who can't be assed, dont bother putting effort in, and then expect to be able to go to a good university (and whine about all this on an internet forum) What makes it even more pathetic if that you're trying to hide your grades from the uni's you want to go to.
If you dont try in your first year and get bad results, it proves that you're lazy, not dedicated or enthusiastic about your studies, academically inconsistant and you're probably more likely to drop out of uni, wasting taxpayers money.

Be realistic - whats the chance of you meeting an offer from a good university anyway? You're a loser, stop wasting everyone's time and get a job at Netto.

I agree with this, if you don't have extenuating circumstances and you fail i have no pity for you. In my eyes, if someone comes out with x grades after 2 years (no resitting) and someone like you comes out with the same grades after resitting, the first person deserves the place all the way. Universities don't just want academic talent, they want a good consistent work ethic, dedication and a passion for the subject you want to study. But, if you really regret not doing anything and admit you were a lazy piece of **** and deserved the grades and want to do your best to make up, i shall wish you good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
I didn't do as well as I probably should have done. But I am ok with what I got last year. Just got to work hard now..
Not going great so far though.
Chin up. Don't stress..
Reply 26
Muffinz
I got BBCD at AS, and I was disappointed. Thankfully my teachers believed in me enough to predict me AAA and I got a place to read English at Exeter (ended up with A*ABc and missed my place, but oh well). The important thing is, you can do it.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but were your GCSEs any good? You see, I had BBC at AS and I've been predicted three As (four if you count an AS I'm taking too) but I have fairly mediocre GCSEs. It's something that worries me greatly.
Reply 27
toasteh
I hope you don't mind me asking, but were your GCSEs any good? You see, I had BBC at AS and I've been predicted three As (four if you count an AS I'm taking too) but I have fairly mediocre GCSEs. It's something that worries me greatly.

A*A*AAAAAABB, I was sick throughout year 10 and dropped a subject though, I was predicted virtually straight A*s.
Reply 28
Jackster1234

Yes I understood that your meaning was fairly basic. I was not offended by "You people" if you perceived my repeated quotation of it within my message in that way please know that I was actually mocking your attempt at wording a category.
Why would concealing poor As grades be pathetic? that is what is referred to as 'tact'. Do not be so naive as to think that to achieve a good position in life, everything must be right, right first time and fair. That school of thought IS pathetic and your expectation of people to be righteous and allow those who could be believed to deserve something more to surpass them only proves your belief in this warped way of looking at success within life.

Why do you assume that people who have underachieved did so purposely and deserved to? Would you say that a person who was abused at school by a teacher and refused to attend their lessons and subsequently failed that subject was "Lazy". This thankfully, is rare but you should be careful about the generalising you seem so prone to commit.

If you don't try in your first year, your more likely to drop out of university? If you do not revise for As exams you will leave university without a degree? where did you get this from, are there STATS which support this? Your assumption that "If you dont try in your first year and get bad results, it proves that you're lazy, not dedicated or enthusiastic about your studies" is also weak as this is surely disproved within A2 when a person can do the opposite.

Where you derived 'wasting taxpayers money' from is a mystery, I don't know about you but my parents will be paying me through University by paying my University fees, not taxpayers.

As for your final point or in retrospect attempt at making any kind of point, I must say your use of the insult "Loser" did bring me some laughter as it is a word I haven't heard since primary school as its social acceptance died in England back in the nineties and survives primarily in America. I could offer you some contemporary insults which might possibly upset a person rather then amuse them, some which are fairly fitting when describing someone such as yourself but I think that is one of many things you need to learn for yourself, so I will be cruel to be kind and refrain.

"Be realistic - whats the chance of you meeting an offer from a good university anyway? "

Well as I have not sat my exams yet, the chance is 50/50 [Yes I will or No I wont]. However to answer your question in greater detail as a person with potential and personal belief I would say the greater chance is Yes I will. Please try not to be so bitter, some people have to be much more studious and completely consistent in their efforts in order to achieve success and others in short don't, that's just the way life goes im afraid.

"You're a loser, stop wasting everyone's time and get a job at Netto"

Im not wasting any persons time they choose to write and post a reply, if they see that as a waste of time then it is only they themselves who have wasted it. What you expect to gain from posting a reply making it worth while, I do not know nor do I want to. I see and hear enough on the news to disturb me.

In terms of employment, I am already hired by Topshop on a part time contract.
KoalaKate

Why would concealing poor As grades be pathetic? that is what is referred to as 'tact'. Do not be so naive as to think that to achieve a good position in life, everything must be right, right first time and fair. That school of thought IS pathetic and your expectation of people to be righteous and allow those who could be believed to deserve something more to surpass them only proves your belief in this warped way of looking at success within life.

The thing that is pathetic is that you've done badly and are now trying to conceal it to universities, and get in purely by misleading them to thinking you're better than you are.

KoalaKate
Why do you assume that people who have underachieved did so purposely and deserved to? Would you say that a person who was abused at school by a teacher and refused to attend their lessons and subsequently failed that subject was "Lazy". This thankfully, is rare but you should be careful about the generalising you seem so prone to commit.

This comment is complete ******** as i have specified very clearly in two different posts that my comments are directed towards people like yourself who are indeed lazy, and have failed because they cannot be bothered. You did deserve to fail.

KoalaKate
If you don't try in your first year, your more likely to drop out of university? If you do not revise for As exams you will leave university without a degree?

Yes. You've demonstrated that you lack enthusiasm and academic drive by 'not being bothered' in your first year. You spent a whole 12 months pissing about not doing anything, and are now whining on an internet forum that you ended up doing badly. Boo-*******-Hoo, what did you expect. This cavalier attitude won't suit university life well and if you're prone to these periods of 'not being bothered' then yes, you are more likely to drop out of university. You obviously don't think your education is that important.

KoalaKate
this is surely disproved within A2 when a person can do the opposite.

Erm, no, not at all. See my previous comment about not being assed for a whole year.

KoalaKate
Where you derived 'wasting taxpayers money' from is a mystery, I don't know about you but my parents will be paying me through University by paying my University fees, not taxpayers.

This comment proves that you know absolutely nothing. Let me explain for you - In the UK we have something called 'top up fees' - University fees are capped at around £3,300 per year. The actual cost of degrees is on average £13,000 per year - hence the government (aka the British taxpayer) pays almost £10,000 a year for you to go to university.

KoalaKate
As for your final point or in retrospect attempt at making any kind of point, I must say your use of the insult "Loser" did bring me some laughter as it is a word I haven't heard since primary school as its social acceptance died in England back in the nineties and survives primarily in America. I could offer you some contemporary insults which might possibly upset a person rather then amuse them, some which are fairly fitting when describing someone such as yourself but I think that is one of many things you need to learn for yourself, so I will be cruel to be kind and refrain.

Once again you totally miss the point with your childish interpretation of my meaning - the word 'loser' wasn't used as an unfounded and random derogatory term merely to put you down - it sums up what you are, based on the thread you posted and your subsequent comments. Someone who cant be bothered putting in any effort, expects life to go well for you nonetheless, and whines when it doesn't. Overall you're a drain on society.

Additionally, you know nothing about me bar the fact that I despise people who expect everything handed to them without trying, so actually you couldn't come up with any insults relevant to me personally, because you don't know what would be relevant. But hey, the rest of this post has been complete ********, at least you're consistent :smile:

KoalaKate
Well as I have not sat my exams yet, the chance is 50/50 [Yes I will or No I wont]. However to answer your question in greater detail as a person with potential and personal belief I would say the greater chance is Yes I will.

As your potential has already failed you once, you have a tendancy not to be bothered with your work and don't seem to see your education as important, along with the fact that alot of A2 work builds upon knowledge gained in your first year significantly reduces your chance of doing well.

KoalaKate
Please try not to be so bitter, some people have to be much more studious and completely consistent in their efforts in order to achieve success and others in short don't, that's just the way life goes im afraid.

Its really rather baffling how you are implying that you are academically bright enough to do well without being studious when you clearly did poorly last year due to not putting in any effort. I can assure you that i am significantly more intelligent than you.. I'm not so much bitter as utterly exasperated with people like yourself wasting our oxygen.

KoalaKate

Im not wasting any persons time they choose to write and post a reply, if they see that as a waste of time then it is only they themselves who have wasted it. What you expect to gain from posting a reply making it worth while, I do not know nor do I want to. I see and hear enough on the news to disturb me.

You've wasted the time of your teachers, your tutor, your college's admin team, your parents, the person marking your exams, the examining board who process your exams and results, UCAS's and university admission teams, plus your own.

KoalaKate

Wow. Set up for life :curious:
Reply 30
KoalaKate
Yeah I'm thinking about that too! its just what everyone is saying about gap years! Our head teacher said "The golden age of gap years is over" because there is less university places, people with A's arent getting in and prices are about to rocket, plus you have to prove to be doing something extremely productive like building wells in Africa in the gap year not making extra money for student life.

That's bullcrap. If you get ABB/AAB or something like that you will get in,depending on your course. He's talking about people with ACC, BBC and grades like that applying for courses with reqs above what they have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by KoalaKate
Yes I understood that your meaning was fairly basic. I was not offended by "You people" if you perceived my repeated quotation of it within my message in that way please know that I was actually mocking your attempt at wording a category.

If you don't try in your first year, your more likely to drop out of university? If you do not revise for As exams you will leave university without a degree? where did you get this from, are there STATS which support this? Your assumption that "If you dont try in your first year and get bad results, it proves that you're lazy, not dedicated or enthusiastic about your studies" is also weak as this is surely disproved within A2 when a person can do the opposite.

"Be realistic - whats the chance of you meeting an offer from a good university anyway? "

Well as I have not sat my exams yet, the chance is 50/50 [Yes I will or No I wont]. However to answer your question in greater detail as a person with potential and personal belief I would say the greater chance is Yes I will. Please try not to be so bitter, some people have to be much more studious and completely consistent in their efforts in order to achieve success and others in short don't, that's just the way life goes im afraid.

“People who worship only themselves get a slick, polished look -- like monuments. Too bad they had to go so soon.”
Original post by Smiles_m
I'm trying to got from aabc to aaaa.
Good luck :smile:, you retaking as well then?

yep I'm doing like 5 retakes in Jan! But I think it's feasible, just going to work my butt off. Good luck to you too :wink:
Original post by KoalaKate
I feel I am doomed to end up at a rubbish uni, as my as results will scare off esteemed ones. I had an awful year and didn't revise or pay any attention to any subject and surprise surprise completely messed up my AS exams. I would feel alot less doomed however if I didn't have to display these results on my UCAS. Is it true that all results must be put down and aswell as this a resit result pending? or can you just put pending? Please help! :frown:

I had absolutely shocking As grades, CCDE, however I re-took a few exams during A2 and managed to boost my grades upto BBC overall and one of my B's was the D. As long as you put the effort in really work hard and get the grades you need you should be okay.

But don't bank on going to uni next year, mainly due to the fact that unis will look at your As grades and think no, we'll go for that person who has achieved better grades! Apply anyway you may be lucky, your best bet is a gap year, if you get great A2's then apply again.

All i say is good luck :smile:

Latest