The Student Room Group

I can do AS maths, but not GCSE?

Hey so I am scoring around 65/72 marks on C1 which is an A.

So I decided to do a GCSE Higher Tier paper to see if I could get an A* (At GCSE I got an A - couple of marks from A*). I was struggling with the first questions on ratio! Overall I got a B! Could've got an A if it wasn't for silly mistakes..

Anyway this isn't logical at all. Why am I scoring low marks on GCSE, although nearly full marks on C1?

Is anyone else like this? :confused:
Got no idea lol
A lot of A level maths is very different to GCSE & some of you're skills are probably a bit rusty. I found that the more high level maths I've done the more mistakes I make with simple maths (like addition and multiplication).
Reply 3
C1 and C2 only involve pure maths. Whereas, GCSE has a bit of mechanics and stats. Maybe you are weak at applied topics?
Reply 4
student0001
Hey so I am scoring around 65/72 marks on C1 which is an A.

So I decided to do a GCSE Higher Tier paper to see if I could get an A* (At GCSE I got an A - couple of marks from A*). I was struggling with the first questions on ratio! Overall I got a B! Could've got an A if it wasn't for silly mistakes..

Anyway this isn't logical at all. Why am I scoring low marks on GCSE, although nearly full marks on C1?

Is anyone else like this? :confused:

I got C's and B's in GCSE, started the AS year being predicted all D's, I now have an ABB for AS in maths, biology and chemistry. And now doing Further Maths AS.
Lifes a weird one, but in your case, C1 is easy, so is C2 :P
Reply 5
ElMoro
C1 and C2 only involve pure maths. Whereas, GCSE has a bit of mechanics and stats. Maybe you are weak at applied topics?

:lol:
Reply 6
Webbykun
:lol:

That's true, isn't it? :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
ElMoro
That's true, isn't it? :confused:

Naww, A-level maths is still applied maths.
Reply 8
im doing maths at A2 currently and honeslty i know what you mean, i was in the maths office the other day saw a foundation paper with a graph on the front looked at it i was like wtf this can be foundation i honestly you will just forget the stuff you dont need form gcse well i did
Reply 9
Because C1 is easy and GCSEs are harder that degree level maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well first of all ratio's aren't exactly pure maths?
(edited 13 years ago)
tehmagician
Well first of all ratio's aren't exactly pure maths?

Yeah they are?

Latest

Trending

Trending