The Student Room Group

Studying in the USA

Hi TSR dudes!!

Im looking at options to study medicine in the USA hopefully in 2012. I am beginning preparations this month until summer 2012.

I was hoping for some information and advice on the following:

I hear in America people go to College and get a degree then go to university to get another degree. After my A-Levels will I need to go on to College and then go into Uni.
From the TSR Wiki:

Most institutions require foreign students to have completed at least the last two years of their undergraduate study in a U.S. college or university. An increasing number of medical schools require a bachelor's degree from a U.S. school. Even with a U.S. bachelor's degree, medical schools admit few foreign students since space is so limited. In 2001, of the 34,859 submitted applications, there were 17,456 accepted of which 230 were foreign students.

Not forgetting the tuition fees that can go well above $12,000 a year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Forget it, you won't get accepted.
SmilerNutz
Hi TSR dudes!!

Im looking at options to study medicine in the USA hopefully in 2012. I am beginning preparations this month until summer 2012.

I was hoping for some information and advice on the following:

I hear in America people go to College and get a degree then go to university to get another degree. After my A-Levels will I need to go on to College and then go into Uni.

Don't be put off by the money. Apply. See the financial aid available to you. College and Uni are the same thing (in this context). Basically, some people like to go to something known as a community college (2 year 'degree') because it's cheaper and they then transfer into another college to finish their degree. If you want to study medicine you will need a degree (a 'proper' 4/3 year degree that gives you a BA/BSC)before studying medicine. You will rack up to $150,000 [this is for BOTH degrees] (this is for top universities) in debt, if you don't receive a generous loan.

Actually, re-thinking this I would say think hard about this. If you just want to practice in the US, you could just study in the UK and take the medical exam test that you need to become a MD over there and try and find a job.
ak56
Forget it, you won't get accepted.

Could you expand as to why he won't get accepted, please?
Oh, and most good unis say that there is very little financial aid available for foreign students except for needs-based. i.e. music, sports or academic scholarships.

I think. But obviously the US system is far more varied to the UK.
You have to finish an undergrad degree first before you go to medical school.
4 yrs undergrad degree
4 yrs medical school
3yrs residency
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I wanted to study in the US for the longest of times and to be honest it isn't worth the hassle. You'd usually have to community college and then onto a proper university as such, getting into harvard or yale or MIT isn't like applying to oxbridge or something in the UK. Also, the fees are ludicrous, like way into the 30k +. It's such a shame but it's reality unfortunately. I don't know what your plans are after med school, but surely coming back to the UK after as a qualified doctor wouldn't be possible as they may have different procedures / regulations to over here. If you wanna do it go ahead and don't let anything hinder you, but honestly really think about it. It's a real hard process.

Latest

Trending

Trending