The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy/Speech Sciences 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erp__X
Ahh i was so so close to taking psychology! I got 3 C's, one mark off a B in my philosophy!! haha i was gutted! Resitting my english and media! as i would like at least a B in both :smile: I'm predicted ABB, how about you?

I got AAB but the 2 A's were only by 1 mark or something

and i'm predicted 3 A's and another A in general studies aswell but that not accepted anyway.
I don't think i'll get 3 A's though, think thats aimed a bit too high :')
have you sent your application off? x
Reply 81
Original post by erp__X
I got the Manchester met thing through too! I hate this waiting around though haha I'm also waiting to hear from city and leeds met, hopefully not much longer for us though! :smile:

I know!! I don't like the waiting game! It makes me nervous!! :rolleyes:
Reply 82
Original post by Lovelovelove:)

[QUOTE=Lovelovelove[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28411015]I got AAB but the 2 A's were only by 1 mark or something

and i'm predicted 3 A's and another A in general studies aswell but that not accepted anyway.
I don't think i'll get 3 A's though, think thats aimed a bit too high :')
have you sent your application off? x

Wow there brilliant grades well done :biggrin:! Ahhh im sure with lots of hard work you'll get there :smile: Hmm yeah our school don't even bother with general studies cause so many courses don't accept it anymore. Yes yes I sent it off the Monday just gone! have you? x
Reply 83
i do ethics . psychology , health and medical science :smile:
Original post by Jelly23
Sorry its taken me so long to reply. Busy week!

I'm not sure about other unis but mature students in my year had taken access courses. However it depends on what your course was in as I know some were asked to do have a more recent qualifcation in a Science subject. My advice would be to contact the unis and ask, because its probably quite an indiviudal thing.

I can only speak for Marjon syllabus- which is constantly changing. In my first year there was one module of Biology and it is very very hard. Learnable but hard. Since my first year I know they've changed the format of questioning as they now have a bank of a 100 or so questions (which they provide mid way through the term) and the exam questions are chosen from these.
In the 2nd and 3rd year its more relevant biology- a large focus on neurology. I found the 2nd and 3rd year biology easier to understand as its related to a disorder/disease and symptons rather than just learning anatomy.

As for the workload, it is a lot of work but you can still have a social life if you plan it out. Attendance is taken into account as well as grades. I think contact hours is around 20-25 a week depending on how far into the year it is. Also you have extended terms. You work from Sept- July (as opposed to usual uni terms which generally end in Mayish)

thanks so much for this information Jelly23 its greatly appreciated by me:biggrin:.It looks to me you have a lot of work to cover once you on the Speech and Language Threapy degree.It also tells me i do need to do Biology as Part of my Access to He Diploma next year.
Original post by erp__X
Wow there brilliant grades well done :biggrin:! Ahhh im sure with lots of hard work you'll get there :smile: Hmm yeah our school don't even bother with general studies cause so many courses don't accept it anymore. Yes yes I sent it off the Monday just gone! have you? x

aww thank you :smile:
i wish my school wouldnt make us do general studies, its so pointless!
Yep i sent it off a few weeks ago, i really want to know my replies now!!
where have you applied to? heard anything from them yet? x
Reply 86
Hello! So has anyone heard anything from any of the following universities?

UCL, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester or London City? I've had my written interview from Manchester and now I'm just waiting - it's so nerve-racking!

I hope you're all doing well!
Reply 87

[QUOTE=Lovelovelove[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28423176]aww thank you :smile:
i wish my school wouldnt make us do general studies, its so pointless!
Yep i sent it off a few weeks ago, i really want to know my replies now!!
where have you applied to? heard anything from them yet? x

Hahaha me too :frown: UEA, Leeds Met, Manchester met, De montfort, City.

Manchester me have sent me a written interview thing but that's it at the moment. :frown: where have you applied? Where were was your favourite?
Reply 88
I'm a scottish student applying for speech and language therapy for 2011 entry.
Applyed to Stathclyde, Queen Margarets, Newcastle and UCL :biggrin:
Only had emails back saying thankyou, not heard anything else yet.
Anyone else applying to the scottish ones? :smile:
Reply 89

[QUOTE=Lovelovelove[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28400216]What subjects is everyone studying? x

I did Higher Maths English Chem French and Drama last year (AAABB) and doing AdvancedHigher Maths Chem and Higher Bio this year (predicted ABA)
Original post by erp__X
Hahaha me too :frown: UEA, Leeds Met, Manchester met, De montfort, City.

Manchester me have sent me a written interview thing but that's it at the moment. :frown: where have you applied? Where were was your favourite?

I've applied to Sheffield, Manchester, De Montfort, Birmingham city and Reading.

I've got the Manchester questionnaire and sent that back and also had a similar thing from Reading too :smile:

My favourite is definatly Sheffield, its so nice there! what about you?
Reply 91

[QUOTE=Lovelovelove[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28431623]I've applied to Sheffield, Manchester, De Montfort, Birmingham city and Reading.

I've got the Manchester questionnaire and sent that back and also had a similar thing from Reading too :smile:

My favourite is definatly Sheffield, its so nice there! what about you?

Sounds good, i was very limited with where i could apply because I don't do Biology.
I know a SLT who went there she loved it! :smile:
UEA is my favourite course! I love it, and I do quite like the city too, Just as shame its not in walking distance.. but for location I love Leeds :smile:
Original post by erp__X
Sounds good, i was very limited with where i could apply because I don't do Biology.
I know a SLT who went there she loved it! :smile:
UEA is my favourite course! I love it, and I do quite like the city too, Just as shame its not in walking distance.. but for location I love Leeds :smile:

I didnt take biology either but i think quite a lot of places like people who have a science subject or something :smile:

Yeeh i really liked UEA but its a 5 hour train journey from where I live so i thought it was just a bit too far :frown:

Is everyone else just as obsessed with checking their UCAS as me? :')
Reply 93
I didnt take biology either but i think quite a lot of places like people who have a science subject or something :smile:

Yeeh i really liked UEA but its a 5 hour train journey from where I live so i thought it was just a bit too far :frown:

I have already got a degree, but I don't particularly have anything sciencey to go by. At A Level I took Psychology, Computing, Media Studies and English Language.. The only thing I have going for me is that my degree was in English Language and Linguistics so I would be almost "over-qualified" from the beginning in that subject area - but completely screwed for the biology!! I wouldn't worry. So long as you can demonstrate that you can adapt and are willing to study hard... You've got knowledge and know what is expected of you, you've still go every chance.. No?!

[QUOTE=Lovelovelove[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28431623]My favourite is definatly Sheffield, its so nice there! what about you?

I did my undergraduate degree there and it was awesome! I defo recommend it! And I knew a few SLT students who definately had time to party!! The staff that I met in the Human Communication Science Department were really nice, because I took some modules for it in 1st year.

The union is wicked and generally there's always something going on! Very very hilly but gets you fit. In summer it's beautiful and everyone EVERYONE sits in the many many park!
Reply 94
Original post by Alicat228
I'm a scottish student applying for speech and language therapy for 2011 entry.
Applyed to Stathclyde, Queen Margarets, Newcastle and UCL :biggrin:
Only had emails back saying thankyou, not heard anything else yet.
Anyone else applying to the scottish ones? :smile:

Hey did you get a acknowledgement of application from newcastle or ucl? and what grades are you applying with :smile:? x
Reply 95

sooooo unbelievably obsessed LOL x
Hi, I'm a 3rd year speech therapy student at Sheffield- if anyone has any questions about the course or the city, I'd be happy to help! :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by ASkarsgard

Original post by ASkarsgard
Hey did you get a acknowledgement of application from newcastle or ucl? and what grades are you applying with :smile:? x

I have had one from UCL but not newcastle but I don't know anyone who has recieved anything of newcastle, for othe degrees as well I mean.

I got AAABB at higher and predicted ABB at Advanced highers/Higher this year, newcastle looks for AABBB so should get an unconditional with that hopefully and UCL want an AB at advanced higher.

What about yourself? Where are you applying/ what are your grades?
Reply 98
Hi,
I'm an international student, applying to UCL, Queen Margeret, Reading, City, and Manch. Met.
I have received a conditional offer from Queen Margeret and not yet received any "acknowledgement of application" from City.
Working on the questionnaire from Manc. Met now.:biggrin:
Reply 99
Original post by kkstudent

Original post by kkstudent
Hi,
I'm an international student, applying to UCL, Queen Margeret, Reading, City, and Manch. Met.
I have received a conditional offer from Queen Margeret and not yet received any "acknowledgement of application" from City.
Working on the questionnaire from Manc. Met now.:biggrin:

When did you send your offer and how long did queen margarets take to get back to you? Also, what grades you applying with? xx

Quick Reply

Latest